pellet velocity LP50e

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tonymcg

pellet velocity LP50e

Post by tonymcg »

I have an LP50e and fired a batch of pellets through a chrono. I got a low of 512 f/s and a high of 539 f/s with an average of 527. I checked the Steyr website but couldn't find their "factory set" figure. Can anyone supply that figure please.

Just as a matter of interest what percentage variation +/- would be acceptable from that ideal factory velocity?

thanks
Tony
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm not sure it matters.

You would think that less velocity variation would equate to better accuracy.

In rifle accuracy testing this has shown not to be true.

Shoot groups and see what you get. That's all that really matters.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

delete
Last edited by RB6 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

I don't think i can do much better with answers to your questions, however the velocities that you quote are not what i would expect from that pistol. Here's a couple of checks to make when you chronograph.

Start with a fully charged cylinder.

Just running a batch of pellets do not represent a good set of stats.

Run series of 5 or 10 shots through the chrono, not sure what machine that you have , but the better ones will give you standard deviation ( SD ) average velocity of total shots ( 5 or 10 ) with of course the low and high velocity.

From there you can do a couple of things , the first is to gather a selection of quality pellets and vary the velocity of the pistol and run chronograph tests. You will likely find a combination of velocity that has the best standard deviation with a given pellet. If you are comfortable with more work , you can mount the pistol in a vise and choose the pellet that gives the best group. The latter is the quickest . But there is nothing wrong with doing the complete operation if you should choose to do so.

ronpistolero

LP 50 velocity

Post by ronpistolero »

I recently acquired a new LP10 (M), and I have yet to bench rest it for accuracy. I too would like to know of the results of your shot group.

For velocity, the Steyr people recommends between 155m/s to 160m/s as ideal. Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EknIAlut_hE At 160m/s, that would be about 530 feet per second. But i do remember that my old Feinwerkbau C20 would group its best at 544 fps (ave) using the RWS yellow pellets, and yet would maybe add an additional 2mm in the group size with H&N pellets. My LP1 goes for 539fps (ave). In both guns, my spread would be less than 9 fps. Therefore, the bottom line for me is not the velocity but rather the best /smallest shot group using a vise. Upon achieving the best group, I intend to run a series of at least 80 shots to erase any doubts regarding its accuracy throughout the range of the tank's fill of usable pressure(and determine such if necessary).

I pretty much agree that the lesser the variable (primarily the velocity and the pellets), the smaller the group would tend to be. I am curious, though, why this won't hold true for rifle accuracy.

Regards,

Ron
Randy152

Post by Randy152 »

I just checked with Pilkguns yesterday on deviations for my LP10. I was told it should be 10 fps or less. I would think the LP50 should be the same.

Randy

Post by Guest »

Randy152 wrote:I just checked with Pilkguns yesterday on deviations for my LP10. I was told it should be 10 fps or less. I would think the LP50 should be the same.

Randy
Not so sure, with the LP50 and LP50E, the magazine movement uses some air what results in a lower number of pellets/cylinder but also may be to a bigger variations of the pellet velocity ?

Anyway, adjusting the pellet velocituy on the LP50 is more difficult than on the LP10 and Steyr advises to let it be done by the factory or a gunsmith. I assume it is the same for the LP50E
diy

no gasket.....

Post by diy »

Anonymous wrote:
Randy152 wrote:I would think the LP50 should be the same.
Not so sure, with the LP50 and LP50E, the magazine movement uses some air what results in a lower number of pellets/cylinder but also may be to a bigger variations of the pellet velocity?
Yes, the pellet that is to be fired starts from the magazine. Pressurized air is brought to the rear of the pellet still in the magazine at discharge.
There is some lateral play with the magazine positioned in the frame. This could cause some, and probably a variable leackage of air at discharge.

The factory pellet velocity setting of the LP 50 is lower to give more shots pr. sylinderfill.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ronpistolero,

Regarding rifle accuracy, there are factors in accuracy of more importance than velocity variation. I believe barrel harmonics is one of the more critical.

In benchrest rifle shooting (the most accuracy dependant shooting sport), the competitors use powder measures rather than weigh the charge because they have found the variation to be unimportant.

I don't know personally of any AP testing where they have considered velocity variation as a sole factor, so I just told you what I DID know.

What my first post really said is; if you're happy with your groups don't worry about it.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The factory setting for the LP 5 and 50 are also lower than the Lp10 because the feeding does not work reliably at the higher velocities. Around 500 fps for the LP5 or 50 is reliable much higher and it starts to jam. This is with a regular weight pellet.
tonymcg

Post by tonymcg »

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

ronpistolero: Thanks for the Youtube reference - very interesting.
If the LP50e has similar specs to the LP10 then with an average of 527 f/s (161 m/s) mine is on the top end of the "ideal".

If I factor in Randy 152's 10f/s deviation then all of my test shots were within the suggested ideal range (or near enough for this black duck).

DIY's magazine leakage came as a surprise but a logical payback for the 5 shot facility.

Point taken on different pellets and group sizes.

thanks again

Tony

ps air pistol is such an easy sport ;)
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Don't remember where, or with what gun, but a few years ago I saw an accuracy test which showed that about 525 fps gave the best groups.
So your gun seems to be in the right ball park :-)
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Randy152 wrote:I just checked with Pilkguns yesterday on deviations for my LP10. I was told it should be 10 fps or less. I would think the LP50 should be the same.

Randy
it should be 15 fps or less.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Richard H wrote:The factory setting for the LP 5 and 50 are also lower than the Lp10 because the feeding does not work reliably at the higher velocities. Around 500 fps for the LP5 or 50 is reliable much higher and it starts to jam. This is with a regular weight pellet.
yes, LP5s or 50s normally are set anywhere from 490- 520 just so that they perform reliably