Dry firing with Avanti 888

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TexasShooter

Dry firing with Avanti 888

Post by TexasShooter »

Newbie question here from a new 4H shooting coach. I understand the importance of dry firing.

We have the Avanti 888 and 887 air rifles. When dry firing, do we actually cycle the bolt and "fire" CO2? or do we just practice pulling the trigger?
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

I don't think you will hurt any thing either way, however, you can save on CO2 by loosening the cylinder and cycling the bolt. Or just use an empy cylinder.

Definately best to have a cylinder in place to duplicate the guns normal weight characteristics, but, you can unscrew it a bit and it won't discharge gas.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Make sure that if you unscrew the cylinder even a bit, you should take it all the way out and then screw it in a few threads.

Otherwise you risk twisting up the o-ring and ripping it. It's getting harder to find those, so I treat them very gingerly now.
(I ended up in an Academy Sports in Norman, OK a few weeks ago & bought all they had)

Post by Guest »

jhmartin wrote:Make sure that if you unscrew the cylinder even a bit, you should take it all the way out and then screw it in a few threads.

Otherwise you risk twisting up the o-ring and ripping it. It's getting harder to find those, so I treat them very gingerly now.
(I ended up in an Academy Sports in Norman, OK a few weeks ago & bought all they had)
apologies for the derail but ORings are pretty standard, measure with calipers and use a buna N or polyurethane

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=7funah
TexasShooter

Post by TexasShooter »

Thanks for the advice. I am glad I asked.
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

I agree on not changing directions on the cylinder with out removing completely. It will generally damage the o-ring. It's a pain when one gets stuck in the gun!

The o-ring is a standard o-ring used on paintball CO2 cylinders and is generally available at Wally World or any place that sells paintball supplies.

Joel, I know you know the type of o-rings. Is there some reason I'm not aware of that is making them difficult to find? I haven't had a problem in AL.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Used to buy mine at WalMart, but they have quit carrying that stuff here in NM.

If I'm (and the kids are) careful, I only bust about 10-15 per year, so the stuff I found in Norman sets me up fancy. I could always get some from Daisy or as mentioned at McMaster/Carr, but I prefer to just grab them off the shelves .... maybe I'll mention to Kevin at the NRA Store that he should stock those too.

Academy had a nice sporting clays O/U that would have made a great Olympic Trap gun too, but I held off there .... poor me