Rear sight repair

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mesa

Rear sight repair

Post by Mesa »

I have an Anschutz rear sight with all the bells and whistles, coler filters, polarizing filters and a broken Iris that won't adjust. Does anyone know who can fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
weilers

Post by weilers »

Depending on how long ago you bought it, the best thing might be to contact the retailer and obtain a replacement.

With that said, it's my understanding that AHG (the Anschutz accessories division) does NOT make most of its Anschutz-branded products. For example, the "Ammunition Box" listed in the catalog is without any doubt the same SB-200 Box made by MTM. I've been smoking cigarettes long enough to also know that the "Black Match" sight darkener look suspiciously like a Bic lighter.

Now all of this brings us to your dilemma. I know from personal experience it is all too easy to over tighten either the outer ring that you turn to adjust the iris or the rings on the thread which screws into your rear sight. It does help to have a LITTLE amount of play on all of them to move freely as they should and still be secure to the sight itself. Try removing the iris off of the sight and loosening the adjustment rings slightly first.

If that doesn't work, then you can contact the original retailer, AHG Anschutz, or just go directly to the company who made the iris unit. While what I am about to tell you is not entirely foolproof, it's my understanding that there are really only two manufacturers of iris units AHG does business with: Gehmann and Centra. The way to tell them apart is simple: Gehmann irises have a range of adjustment that begins at 0.5mm; Centra irises begin at 0.8mm.

Finally, I would NOT attempt any kind of disassembly nor would I allow anyone outside of a factory technician to to the same.

I hope this helps
weilers

Post by weilers »

Correction to my earlier entry: on the Centra made AHG irises, some of the centra irises do adjust from 0.5mm to 3.0mm. However, only a Gehmann made iris will have small metal studs on the polarizing bands for adjustment.