Spot check score after each shot habit

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jimmynich

Post by jimmynich »

my center fire /standard pistol guns need at least 5 clicks to cross the 10 ring even on a bad shot 1 click wont matter
if the shot is an x ring dont adjustif it hits one of the axes only click in the other direction
one of the top female shooters won a sports pistol event her 30 shot precision group had 20 shots above center and 20 to the right about 15 in the top right 1/4 if she had clicked down and left
her score would have improved. it was an exellent score anyway
in contrast i saw an 8 ring standard gun group that had 30 shots above and below the center and 30 shots left and right of center shot by a new shooter who adjusted her sights the perfect group (we always bang on about the importance of groups then watch them shot in the wrong place)
after shooting i set my adjusted sights to SITE BASE by screwing the sight down and coming up 50 clicks
point of aim is 15 clicks down from precision on that day windage is in then 30 clicks out
i can let someone else use my pistols and adjust the sights without worrying
too many good shooters have shot good groups just outside the 10 ring
because they cant or wont adjust their sights especially in timed/center fire (this isn't for you David) learn the adjustments write them down and use them
try this site for some information on pistols
www.pilkguns.com/tenp
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jimmynich wrote:too many good shooters have shot good groups just outside the 10 ring because they cant or wont adjust their sights especially in timed/center fire (this isn't for you David) learn the adjustments write them down and use them
Because of the lack of punctuation I am not sure which bit isn't for me but it doesn't really matter.

Although I was forced to retire from shooting cartridge guns because of injury, for many years I shot Standard Pistol and Centre Fire Pistol internationally for GBR. I would not have dreamed of adjusting my sights based on the position of a single shot, unless it was during the sighters and the hole was more than half a ring away from where I called it. Of course you have to maximise your score in a match. After the sighters however I would never adjust my sights based on one hole.

Are you really suggesting that if you shot 3 inner 10s followed by a 9 you would adjust your sights.

Knowing your normal site adjustment away from a base setting, and the number of clicks needed between stages, is a no-brainer. I would also consider it sensible to mark your sights so that you can get a quick indication whether they are set for precision or rapid.
jimmynich

Post by jimmynich »

I didn't preview. The spacing is different on the big screen.
Punctuation probably wasn't my best subject growing up in Glasgow in the Fifties
No clicks on an inner 10
I would still move 1 click after the 9 . My next shot would only be 7mm diagonally towards the center from my last ten if it was a 10.
Example last shoot (first for 2 months) sighters area aiming about the 4 ring
8@7 oclock click
9@ 5 oclock click
10@4 oclock click
9@ 4 oclock click
10@ 3 oclock click
All shots are still in a 55mm group with 4 in a 30mm group. The 8 i dropped the front sight the others felt ok
Next 5 all 10's 35mm group 2x only 2clicks wobbling to the left.
Chicken finger and the little voice in my head took over the rest of the shoot (aren't they are good subjects in a forum)
The exercise is to encourage new shooters to adjust their sights and shift their group in the right direction towards the center. (learners and margolin front sights are an interesting combination)
At least i still am allowed to have pistols that i can adjust and fiddle around with.
Hope the actions of the cab driver don't get too much of a reaction by the politicians
In Melbourne the bad guy stabbed his wife/partner then set her alight in a petrol station the politicians have been quiet on that one, never mind the guy who threw one of his kids off the West gate bridge
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jimmynich, your posts keep giving me flashbacks to a CF precision target shot by a team mate in 1984 (approx).

Why would one target stay in my memory after the thousands I have seen over the years? It was a 5-shot 50, with the shots as equally spaced around the ten ring as makes no difference, with every shot needing a gauge and a jury "3 card trick" to get the result.

I have no idea which order the shots came in but it's a fair bet that if he had always clicked towards the centre it would have been a lower score.

Anyway, each to his own. You will never convince me that clicking after each shot, with no regard to the process resulting in the hole position, is either a sensible or an efficient way to centralise a group.