Avati 753 888 (887)

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Tom E

Avati 753 888 (887)

Post by Tom E »

Hi:

Would like some real world information on the Diasy Avanti 753 and 888 target rifles. I know these are cheaply made rifles and don’t compare with the fine German Olympic grade offerings, but they are affordable, can be improved (Pilkington Trigger Mod) and are widely used in Junior competition.

In Tim Johnson’s book, Sporter Tips, he gives the accuracy level (from a bench rest) of the 753 as “7 Ring” and “9 Ring” for the 888. Both guns claim a choked Lothar Walther barrel and I would have thought would have produced similar results. I know that the 753 is an SSP and must be pumped and the 888 (and 887) are CO2, but can’t fathom the difference in accuracy as indicated by Johnson, unless it is attributable to the 888’s higher stated MV, or the possibility that the cocking lever on the 753 jumps on discharge or there is more variance in MV with the SSP.

It’s hard to believe that so many competitions have been won in the past with that kind of performance. I have to believe that there are a lot of these rifles out there that can do better than that!

What is your real world experience with either or both of these rifles? I mean real attainable levels of accuracy. I know you must pellet test each barrel to determine what it likes best, but which pellets (and size) would you recommend in an assortment of test pellets to narrow it down a bit.

Any information is appreciated.
txjm

753 Accuracy

Post by txjm »

We have a couple of the CMP Avanti 753 refurbs that the girls are shooting in 4H. We have one set up for Sporter and one set up for silhouette with a Scope. I was playing with the scoped rifle at 33 feet last night off of a front bag. It shoots 10's. The second rifle seems to shoot well also. I haven't scoped it but it shoots one big hole off the bag with iron sights. The girls are beginners and are shooting in the 90s prone. I don't think that would be possible with a 7 ring gun.
I'm sure these rifles have had many rounds through them and are still plugging right along. The triggers are awful. One of the rifle's sights must be adjusted way to one to get it to center.
We are overjoyed at the performance of the 753 refurbs.
We have shot RWS Hobby, RWS Diablo Basic, RWS Meisterkugeln and NRA match pellets. Not scoped, the Diablo and Meisterkugeln shoot the best and we shoot the Diablos. All the RWS pellets we tried were the light pellets (pistol- 7G?). I believe the NRA pellets are heavier. Our 753's don't like the NRA match pellets.
Chip
Tom E

Avanti triggers

Post by Tom E »

Hi tjxm

Thanks for the reply. I have a Daisy 953, it's the cheap Daisy SSP but it has a synthetic target stock like the 853 CM. I added the Avanti precision diopter sights (753) and did the Pilkington trigger tune and it shoots pretty well. It does not have the choked Lothar Walther barrel, but Daisy CS says that the barrel is made by the same manufacturer so it's probably pretty good.

The Pilkington trigger tune is nothing short of miraculous! Done properly it can be safely adjusted for zero (no discernable) creep and zero overtravel while retaining full function of the safety. I understand it's legal for competition.

I've progressed enought to want something a bit better, but was put off by Tom Johnsons comments. On a limited budget the Avanti's are about all that's available which is why I am interested.

Thanks again for you post.

Tom
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

753's, 853's , 888's & 887's are all 10 ring rifles with proper pellet selection.
To me they also seem to accept a wide variety of pellets and shoot very well.

I like these rifles because to shoot them well a shooter must concentrate on the fundamentals in all positions. When/if the shooter decides to move onto precision rifles they progress very quickly with those fundamentals firmly locked in
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

And, if you aren't comfortable drilling the trigger guard for the 853 trigger tune just buy the 753/888/887 part from Daisy that already has the tapped hole.
Tom E

Thanks

Post by Tom E »

Thanks for the replys. By the way, I had the same problem with the rear sight needing to be set almost to the end of it's travel to the right. The solution was to loosen the two set screws on the front barrel weight and rotate it slightly. I scratched a matching line on the underside of the weight and the barrel as a reference, loosened it off, rotated it and locked it in place. It might take a couple of tries to get it right but it's a simple fix. (You rotate it Clockwise to shift the POI to the left and vice versa)

Thanks again
Tom
alanwein

Post by alanwein »

The two 888s that I have shot off the bench with sandbags have shot very well. Ten ring for sure with good pellets. Try a variety of weights of pellets. Include Avanti and RWS pellets in your testing.
mousehunter

Post by mousehunter »

I sighted in 2 753's last weekend. With bulk pellets I could keep it in the 9 ring. I am sure that the only reason I was not getting constant stacked groups was user error and pellet deviation. They are plenty accurate.

That said, my elbow and shoulder were slightly sore and swollen after the experiance (I am not as young as I used to be). I can hardly believe that cocking effort would not cost a few points here and there over a 60 shot match.

As such I think they are incredible guns for the money, but recognize they will require the shooter to do more work than high end pcp's.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

mousehunter wrote:I sighted in 2 753's last weekend. With bulk pellets I could keep it in the 9 ring. I am sure that the only reason I was not getting constant stacked groups was user error and pellet deviation. They are plenty accurate.

That said, my elbow and shoulder were slightly sore and swollen after the experiance (I am not as young as I used to be). I can hardly believe that cocking effort would not cost a few points here and there over a 60 shot match.

As such I think they are incredible guns for the money, but recognize they will require the shooter to do more work than high end pcp's.
Now:
1) Think of yourself as a junior 10-12 year old shooter
2) Now think of shooting 3-positions and having to cock that rifle in prone & kneeling too

Believe that the cocking effort will cost a few points....
All that said, American Legion Sporter was won, what, 3 years ago with a 753 ... by a young lady