physical training

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I feel you tend to complicate these things.
Just get out and be physically active, most of the pistolshooting I've been exposed to is no big deal for a normally fit person. AP may look "innocent" but may actually be among the worst since it is rather static and "hanging" on the tendons rather than dynamic muscle work.

The good thing is that this is not a "chaotic" and unpredictable activity:
it's always the same and if you listen to your body it will tell you what's needed to avoid injury. The simplest method is to take it easy!
lastman

Post by lastman »

luftskytter- wrote:I feel you tend to complicate these things.
Just get out and be physically active, most of the pistolshooting I've been exposed to is no big deal for a normally fit person.
It takes a lot of physical ability to be able to stand still for up to 2 hours.

It also requires the development a groups of muscles that most people never use.

To be an elite shooter, you need to be physically fit. To be a champion shooter you need to develop the groups of muscles in your body that stabilise your body. These are mostly the small muscles that are deep within your body. Things like rotator cuff and the other muscles under your shoulder blade. There are many more which is why it is a great idea to get external help. A little expensive to start but well worth it in the long run.

Good luck
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Standing still for 2 hours without rest? Maybe I shoot too fast?
I used to shoot FITA rounds in archery; they lasted all day, but then you had to walk across a 90 meter field to retrieve arrows, 3 at a time.

And yes, I agree that to be an ELITE competitor in ANY sport you need to be fit. From what I hear, this is true even when playing chess.
But it's stil a far cry from playing hockey or running marathon.

Lastman says it himself "expensive to start": I believe what we're talking about here is how to avoid injury as a beginner, not an ELITE competitor. And Mr. and Mrs. Average are not reasonably fit anymore, that's the sad truth. It's true about me as well :-(

The other sad truth is that they are spending fortunes in gyms instead of just getting out and live a physically active life.

And I repeat: most shooting is predictable and can be stopped when your body says "quit, this hurts!". I talk from experience: I'm 60, my ol' body is stiff and sometimes it hurts. It's been mistreated, and it's been worse before, shoulder included. I normally feel better after a physical workout, and AP shooting is a lot less damaging than sitting too long in front of the PC. Gotta get off this chair........
al-sway

Physical Training

Post by al-sway »

I would suggest you ignore the advice about holding weights out at the end of your arm, or twisting it up. Sounds like advice from an old Hollywood movie with Racquel Welch trying to become a vengeful gunshooter.
After many years of shooting, I would suggest that you have a consultation with a physiotherapist (preferably a sports physio) or a physical trainer. They should be able to give you a proper set of exercises that will suit you (your body, your current physical state and your exercise possiblity (gyms, etc)).
In general terms you are trying to tone your muscles with low weights and high repetitions, and doing it equally on both sides to avoid any misalignment of your spine due to over development on one side. Physio to correct that is no fun.
It is also correct that you don't need huge muscles to shoot very well; the line at World Cups have many petite female competitors on rifle and pistol. I suspect that their muscles are well toned and developed where they need to be.
Cardio is also important, whether you get that through running, bicycling or other forms of exercise.
Physical training is one component of become a great shooter. Enjoy.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

PETE S wrote:A few definitions might help here.

Dry firing is technical or perhaps shooting training or a drill.

I define physical training as exercises etc design to improve our physical condition, though in this case specific to shooting.

Hence, dry firing are a series of drills I would use to improve my shooting scores and shooting techniques. But i do NOT consider it a form a physical training. In fact, the more you dry fire, the more you need the physical training.
The reason is that dry firing and shooting work a limited number of muscles. Do too much and you go to the point of overuse or straining those muscles and tendons and ligaments.

One of the therapies involved in recovery is to strengthen the other muscles to help support and balance the other muscles in the body. I speak from experience.

Drying firing with the off arm will help a bit. But far more efficient would be a core strengthen exercise program. For the arms, weight lifting with moderate weights (definition varies depending on your ability).

There are may ways and many different exercise programs to achieve the goal a conditioned body to allow you to shoot to the level of your technical shooting training and extend your career. Shooters are athletes.
I guess my point about dry firing with the off hand is that it allows me to reverse the tilt that my spine goes through when in the traditional pistol stance. Whilst I can appreciate doing full body workouts and their associated benefits, I can't see how they would correct a spinal alignment problem. It would seem the only way to really avoid the problem would be to intially develop a shooting stance where you didn't "lean back" or to the left, assuming a pistol in the right hand. This totally upright stance doesn't seem to be as stable as the slight counterbalance principle that all shooters I've seen use.