1907 or 1913 barrel?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KingKenji

1907 or 1913 barrel?

Post by KingKenji »

Hello All,

I originally bought a 1907 but all the shooting im doing now is prone. I noticed that my barrel is smaller in diameter and lighter.. will the heavier 1913 barrell make a difference? I currently have a tube on my barrell to give it a bit more weight.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I'd say that your choice of stock matters more than the weight of your barrel: what kind of stock and buttplate are you using right now?

Tubes are great for extending your sight radius but a bad idea for adding weight as they affect your barrel's harmonics in some mystical way that can change your barrel's ammo preference.

You're better off adding weight to the stock itself, and there are lots of different kinds available that mount directly to the stock or to the rail underneath.

If you ever plan to shoot 3-P, stick with the lighter barrel. It provides you with greater flexibility than a heavy barrel with no impact on accuracy.

Jason
KingKenji

Post by KingKenji »

I have a 2213 aluminum stock and a mec buttplate, works great for me... I was just wondering what advantages the 1913 offers, if any. because i plan to shoot prone exclusively...
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I'd stay with what you have. The 1913 barrel is slightly heavier, and it is not as easily replaced as the square action rifles. I'm looking to replace my barrel (I think) and it will require gunsmithing to do.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Yup, you're fine. I'm currently shooting a 1913 in a 2313 stock (with an adapter) and I really like it -- but it is heavy (14 lbs all told). Save up your pennies for some weights, look around to see what others are using at the provincials and take your cue from them.

Jason

Post by Guest »

Thanks Jason,

Didnt realize ur in ontario, where abouts do u shoot?