Digiscoping

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Denton

Digiscoping

Post by Denton »

Hi Everybody,

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks and just wanted to get some input from more experienced shooters, if you had a webcam connected to your spotting scope in some manner then to your laptop (for prone position),I think your head position would be more consistant in that you would just need to glance at the screen to get a reading (for the poor clubs who can't afford fancy electronic targets) would this be a worthwhile venture? Would it be against the ISSF rules.
Ani advise or comments would be greatly appreciatedly.
D.
David Levene

Re: Digiscoping

Post by David Levene »

Denton wrote:Would it be against the ISSF rules.
Certainly against the ISSF rules for 10m shooting, as are normal optical scopes.

No problem for the other distances.

Post by Guest »

David Levene wrote:
Certainly against the ISSF rules for 10m shooting, as are normal optical scopes.

How can you see the impact on paper targets?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:
David Levene wrote:

How can you see the impact on paper targets?
You push the button and they come back to you. Walking to the targets to change them at 10m is not allowed.

10 m ranges must be equipped with electric-mechanical target carriers or changers, or Electronic Scoring Targets.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Well certainly at a local club level there would be spotting scopes used for 10m AP/AR. Generally they are shooting 5 or 10 shots per target.

For actual ISSF matches at a National/International level, then yes, no spotting scopes. Hopefully just rippling tens on the target monitor.
Guest22

Digiscoping

Post by Guest22 »

Using any scope on 10m disciplines is forbidden by ISSF rules as David states.
However, in our club we use scopes for training to simulate the screen that you would have on your shooting table during official matches. But training and matches are two different things.
Have fun.

Guy
Xman

Post by Xman »

Anyone know just why scopes are not allowed on AP ISSF. USAS firing line?

Are they not needed EVER? Crossfires?? If I have a cross fire on my paper target, I want to know were it is, even before the other shooter or officials catches it Even with one shot per target (what a waste of $$$ unless NRA target but NRAs are NOT allowed anyway so it is moot on that point)

Not all ISSF, USAS or PTOs are going to have elite shooters, drilling out the 10 and x on targets all day long. Nor will they have e targets or e scoring.

And if ISSF and USAS INSIST on 1 shot per target and/or mandate the use of e targets and e scoring, they are just continiuning to price clubs out of the ability to run USAS, ISSF shoots. But then again maybe that is the whole point, Just keep the selected "favored" clubs in the fold. And allow only those that can financially send $$$$ to USAS and ISSF into the "club" from time to time.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Xman wrote:Anyone know just why scopes are not allowed on AP ISSF. USAS firing line?

Are they not needed EVER? Crossfires?? If I have a cross fire on my paper target, I want to know were it is, even before the other shooter or officials catches it Even with one shot per target (what a waste of $$$ unless NRA target but NRAs are NOT allowed anyway so it is moot on that point)<snip>.
Scopes are not allowed in ISSF comps possibly because they aren't needed. Crossfires should easily be spotted on electronics, and on paper, they'll be obvious because there'll be 2 shots instead of one on the card.

Clubs are perfectly at liberty to ignore certain ISSF rules, they just need to specify the rules they are applying, so shoot as many shots as you like per card - although any more than 2 is asking for scoring problems at times.

Rob.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

Spotting scopes are allowed at USAS sanctioned matches.

8.5.1 Spotting Telescopes
The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for 25 m and 50 m events only.

USA 8.5.1A The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for all pistol events.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Raymond Odle wrote:Spotting scopes are allowed at USAS sanctioned matches.

8.5.1 Spotting Telescopes
The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for 25 m and 50 m events only.

USA 8.5.1A The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or judge the wind is permitted for all pistol events.
The previous posts were talking about 10M shooting. ISSF allow scopes at 25 and 50M as well.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:The previous posts were talking about 10M shooting. ISSF allow scopes at 25 and 50M as well.
I think Raymond was just pointing out the difference between ISSF rule 8.5.1 and the USA "local" rule 8.5.1.A (which extends the allowance to 10m).