what part of your middle finger is used to hold the pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

what part of your middle finger is used to hold the pistol?

Post by seamaster »

If you ascribe to the theory holding the pistol lightly, like "holding a little girl's hand", then what part of your middle finger is used to hold the pistol?

Is it a) the top of the middle finger? or is it b) the middle finger pulling back?

I know it is probably a combination of both, but is it a >b, or b>a, or just a?
2650 Plus

Middle finger pressure

Post by 2650 Plus »

What works for me [ and may not work for you ] is placing the middle finger where it applies pressure straight back on the front strap so that going from the tip of the finger that pressure is appled bythe first and second joint area being at a perfect 90 degree to the target. also I would squeeze the life out of any bird that came between me and my pistol grip. I do lighten up just a bit with the free pistol because too strong a grip causes me to tire during the 6o shot and sighters. Hope this can help. Good Shooting Bill Horton
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I love the way you describe "squeeze out of any life between the bird and my grip."

But any of you who believe in keeping the bird very much alive? If that is the case, do you keep the bird alive by using just the top of your middle finger for support, and fulcrum it with the end thumb U and the very end of the palm shelf, i.e. the "three point hold" and keeping bird pretty much alive?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The middle finger should be pulling directly back i.e. not applying force in any direction that could disturb the sights (shot placement) - in an ideal world. That said it depends on the person, the grip, the size and shape of the hand etc. The fingers should also be in full contact with the grip so as to promote a consistent (and sort of relaxed as possible) hold of the gun.

Rob.
lastman

Post by lastman »

My LP10 has a flat section where the fingers are under the trigger. It allows my to put pressure on from the first knuckle to the last knuckle of the fingers.

I don't ascribe to the little girl holding theory. To me it feels like holding the pistol like a little girl. I hold the pistol like a man.

Pressure is straight back through the grip from the fingers.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I guess it's a matter of what kind of shooter you are.
Those who shoot a lot of heavy recoil big guns will build up strength that makes it easy to squeeze hard without trembling. Combat gun grip angle also makes it easier to apply force. IMHO "hanging hand" style anatomic grip type angle inhibits grip strength. I've therefore adjusted the CM grip on my MG1E quite recently for this exact reason.

Me?
Sorta middle of the road type with good grip strength developed in other activities than shooting, but mostly shoot 10 meter AP. I use a firm grip, but no more than I can easily maintain for more than 100 shots.
This means the weight of the gun on top of my middle finger is totally swamped by the force of pulling back.

Amateurs like me need a steady hold to block movement due to trigger finger errors etc. If everything was perfect.......
paulo

Post by paulo »

In a geometric world of straight lines 10's are the easiest thing to accomplish.
Humans are far from being a straight line, anything you do to cancel human design will get you into the world of 10's.
What I have learned so far is that the intermediate phalanges should be parallel to the target, perpendicular to the barrel, that way you pull the gun straight back at your thumb hand check in exactly the same line as the barrel when you grip, how you do it will be unique to your body.
Good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schem ... nes-en.svg
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Some interesting thoughts there.
Reminds me of my archery days:

"Try to develop a style where you don't interfere with the bow when it shoots".

Equipment tuning was:
"Try to make the equipment insensitive to your mistakes. The equipment doesn't make mistakes".
paulo

Post by paulo »

Rover

Post by Rover »

Speaking of the bird, I frequently use my middle finger to salute the other competitors.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Rover wrote:Speaking of the bird, I frequently use my middle finger to salute the other competitors.
Heh, heh, funny! :-)
MACPAPITAS

Holding a pistol

Post by MACPAPITAS »

Well, for me the way I held the pistol, wether free or neumatic, vary during the competition cause the hand change size, sometimes I have to grab it tight and sometimes loose, is part of the strategic, trying to find the control, we are not machines that´s why we never held pistol the same way, i always try that the way I place the finger be the same, always playin the 1st stage free play.
Spencer

Re: what part of your middle finger is used to hold the pist

Post by Spencer »

seamaster wrote:If you ascribe to the theory holding the pistol lightly, like "holding a little girl's hand", then what part of your middle finger is used to hold the pistol?

Is it a) the top of the middle finger? or is it b) the middle finger pulling back?

I know it is probably a combination of both, but is it a >b, or b>a, or just a?
one factor will be the size of the frame (and grip) in relation to the size of the shooter's hand length