Need advice for testing amo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

af_one

Need advice for testing amo

Post by af_one »

I recently aquired new anschutz rifles for my team. I want to test several lots of ammo in each rifle. I'd like some advice on what type of vice to use--or, what methods folks use. I use a ransom rest for pistol, but whats out there for rifles??? I want to eliminate any human variables.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

this might have been posted before but this is interesting..

http://www.accuratereloading.com/22rf.html
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

There are both sides to the "Human Factors" element.

Me, I prefer to test off a bench, scoped, and with the fore end support where a shooters support hand would be.
I test at 50 ft, 100ft (all I can do inside our indoor range), and at 100yd in a tunnel. Sometimes I'll get a nice windless morning and can go 50yd/m outdoors, but that is rare.

Use a 26X or a 40X scope on 50-100yds and a simple 3-9X in the range.

I think you have to try and get the human shoulder/cheek pressure on the rifle into the mix.

Others like the FIRM clamped method .. some even use a recoiling, return to battery rest. I've never had much luck here, but I'll admit I've only tried this by cobbling together a fixed rest.
Flashmo

Post by Flashmo »

I personally use a Lead Sled loaded with 50 pounds.

1. Remove butt hook assembly to ensure good contact with the rest.

2. Mount a handstop on the rail.

3. Place gun on rest.

4. Run a ratchet strap through handstop and around bottom of rest.

5. Run a second ratchet strap over top of buttstock and around bottom of rest.

6. Tighten both ratchet straps to firmly hold rifle, but without deflecting the stock.

Be mindful not to disturb the rifle during loading or firing while standing to the side. Fire into the backside of a blank target (dont try to use the sights.

Once you narrow down batches you like, remove the rifle and confirm results from a prone position.