IS A SIG P240 38 SPL. WC WORTH THE WORK

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ebrem

IS A SIG P240 38 SPL. WC WORTH THE WORK

Post by ebrem »

I was going to buy a SIG P240 38 SPL.WC, but after doing a lot of research I am at the point I'm not sure it's worth the work.

Reasons:
1. 0.358 HBWC did cause many barrels to bulge and still will unless you use a 0.356 - 0.357 HBWC bullets. I can only find european HBWC's that size and are at least double the cost .
2. The next choice would be to cast my own but I don't have the time, at this point.

So I am asking for comments as to the positive side of using this gun in the 38SPL. HBWC.
I am on the fence, and would really like comments, opinions, reasons, etc.

Thank You
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you really want one you can always resize the bullets. Just a thought, more work but not really more money.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Search for other threads on this topic - it comes up regularly.

If you want peerless quality, buy it!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

IMHO the problem the problem was not:
- with P240s; a number of revolvers fell prey to the same fate
- not with .38 cal: equally with .32s
- as noticable with the (at the time very popular) walther .32s due to shorter barrels and a lot more steel around the barrel
- due to projectile diameter - rather it was due to some projectile manufacturers changing to thinner skirts in HBWC, and/or 'experimenting' with alloy mixes
Philadelphia

Re: IS A SIG P240 38 SPL. WC WORTH THE WORK

Post by Philadelphia »

ebrem wrote:I was going to buy a SIG P240 38 SPL.WC, but after doing a lot of research I am at the point I'm not sure it's worth the work.

Reasons:
1. 0.358 HBWC did cause many barrels to bulge and still will unless you use a 0.356 - 0.357 HBWC bullets. I can only find european HBWC's that size and are at least double the cost .
2. The next choice would be to cast my own but I don't have the time, at this point.

So I am asking for comments as to the positive side of using this gun in the 38SPL. HBWC.
I am on the fence, and would really like comments, opinions, reasons, etc.

Thank You
I don't use HBWC bullets but for the most part my experience with a lot of lead bullet manufacturers is that they will size them a couple thousandths either way (smaller or larger).

To solve your problem, a good look around for a bullet manufacturer that will size their HBWC to your specifications would likely be worth the time. As another thought, choose another bullet profile that shoots as well and is offered at .356-.357 ? Any flat based wad cutter profile should do the job just as well, no?

Good luck.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Reasons:
1. 0.358 HBWC did cause many barrels to bulge and still will unless you use a 0.356 - 0.357 HBWC bullets.
Bulging barrels that are associated with HBWC is not from the sizing . Factory HBWC are midrange target loads that are loaded lightly with pressures just enough to bump up the skirt for a good gas seal. HBWC are swaged pure lead and the skirt is soft enough to expand with low pressure.

Now the problem, reloaders will experiment with hotter than factory loads to get better groups or whatever reason. When HBWC bullets are exposed to excessive pressure the pressure is the same pushing the skirt to the bore as the pressure to the base of the bullet. With the higher pressure a point is reached where the pressure is so much that the skirt starts to stick to the bore and begins to slow where the bulletmass wants to accelerate. The skirt attachment point to the bullet base starts to stretch and thin, eventually seperationg , the skirt stops and the solid bullet mass keeps going out the bore.

The hapless shooter scopes the target and sees a low shot , grumbles and dumps another shot down the barrel. Guess what happens next, the higher than normal pressured bullet hits the skirt at warp speed and voilla is pushed out . Unfortunately there is evidence of this incident and the pressure is spiked momentarily until the skirt starts moving and leaves a ring or bulge if you will .
This may happen many times until the owner spots the bulge while cleaning . This event has happened to hundreds of s&w model 52's that was designed for mid range target loads. Solid bullets won't bulge barrels unless there is no powder charge , where the bullet is pushed into the bore by primer pressure only and the shooter thinks it's a dud and dumps another round behind ............. well, you get the message