Yoga...?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Nick_Burman

Yoga...?

Post by Nick_Burman »

Hi all,

For some time I've been feeling a need for psychological help in my sporting activities, to help cope with some traits which I believe are upsetting my performance. My (acting) coach believes that I could benefit from seeking psychological help, not only for shooting but also for dealing with some personal traits. However, most other shooting friends I've talked with (including one top-ranking pistol shooter) believe that it would be better to take up yoga instead. I've looked at the benefits of yoga and it goes well towards dealing with some of the problems (essentially the fact that I'm anxious and scatterbrained). Given the fact that sports psychologists are as rare as hen's teeth but yoga courses are very common I would like to hear from you guys.

Cheers NB
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

I have been doing yoga for at least 4 years now, even do it on my own now. Classes are reasonably priced, YMCA is a good place to start. I have recommended to all of my athletes that they should do yoga. I personally think that everyone should have some sort of yoga in their lives. Not only for the stress relief, but for the excersise, mental and stretching benefits. Not to mention it is much much cheaper than Psych help if you are unsure! Oh... not to mention yoga can really show you how to breathe the correct way, enormous benefits for shooting sports!

Good luck
2650 Plus

Yoga

Post by 2650 Plus »

A good friend once visited a shrink. After explaining how important it was to shoot his first 2600 [there were only 35 that had accomplished the feat] and was councelled to the effect that since it was so important he should not strive for this score because he would have no goal if he achieved the ultimate. Our coach really chewed him out and he broke 2600 in our next match. I would avoid shrinks unless they were top shooters and understood what we were trying to accomplish. Yoga might work and I might have tried it 20 years ago. Good SHooting Bill Horton
lastman

Post by lastman »

I personally don't see how Yoga would replace the work of a psychologist.

I would suggest looking into both. If you have issues in you non-shooting life they will most definitely be affecting your shooting life and a psychologist will help this.

Yoga will help your fitness and general well being.

Good luck
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Thanks folks, most helpful of yours. Opinions seem to be tied. I haven't looked deeper into the subject yet, I still need to investigate more before I make a decision. Being short both of time and money right now doesn't help either. As I've said, yoga courses and academies are a dime a dozen over here but sports shrinks are quite rare. One suggestion I read is to look into the universities' psychology departments as many of them offer a clinical service, and some of the smaller private universities do deal with sports psychology.

Cheers NB
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I believe this is the kind of thing you'll have to find out for yourself.
You can get opinions and tales of personal experience on the net.
But this is rather personal stuff and you'll have to find out what suits you.
Personally I don't think psychological "assistance" needs to cost a lot of money. Some lucky folks find the wisdom and support they need for free among their close friends.

OTOH some people need perceived value to believe in things, and this may be related to price: they say "if it costs nothing, it's because that's what it is worth!".

A prepaid appointment schedule may also be what's needed to get out and do things. Like it's all too easy to drop tonight's dry firing session before I go to bed. I guess discipline and stubbornness are important ingredients.
Since I'm in this for fun and not for money, this translates into motivation or having fun. I tend to perform better at things I enjoy......
Rover

Post by Rover »

As I've heard said in Brooklyn...

"So, vat could it hurt?"
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

luftskytter- wrote:I believe this is the kind of thing you'll have to find out for yourself.
You can get opinions and tales of personal experience on the net.
But this is rather personal stuff and you'll have to find out what suits you. <snip>
Couldn't agree more. It's all down to your personal make up and what approaches press the right button for you. Since yoga is easier to attend, perhaps consider that as the first port of call and see how that works. If it doesn't seem to be helping your grey matter then consider a psychologist or 'life councillor' or something like that. But also remember that just like any interpersonal interaction, you may need to find a person that you can relate with and feel comfortable with for it to come together, so you may need to visit more than one to get it right.

Rob.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Yoga is great!!! it really helps on almost all aspects of shooting. focus breathing balance ect. But you really have to PRACTICE yoga. not just go through the motions. You need to connect your breathing to your movements and energy flow.
Since doing yoga i have just felt all around better in life.
Meditation is also key. It really helps focus the mind and makes it easier to acomplish more difficult tasks with ease.
matt