High Standard Trophy

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

BorzoiDad

High Standard Trophy

Post by BorzoiDad »

I have the opportunity to purchase a High Standard Supermatic Trophy Military pistol. The pistol is in near perfect condition and has a receiver and barrel for 22Short in addition to the 22LR. The pistol is stamped as made in Camden, Conn and has a serial #243xxxx.

I am new to shooting (but enjoying greatly) and have no experience in classic firearms. I am considering purchasing because of the great condition and it seems like a neat gun.

Does this pistol have any collector value? There seems to be a wide range of prices on the Net, how do I determine a fair value?

Thanks.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Hamden produced Hi Standards are the better of the other production locations and therefore a better collector. In good to excellent condition their prices are reasonable (~$500) and they are still great shooters. With the .22 conversion it will make a good Indoor Bullseye gun. The conversion unit could add ~$200 to the price. "Doc"
Last edited by Bob-Riegl on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

I have a High Standard, my first pistol, purchased new; which I guess means I am a classic.

The 22 short is no longer acceptable for international competition but is good for bullseye, primarily indoors at shorter distances.

BTW, it is probably Hamden, Conn. These were considered the better pistols.

The market vaule is allover because of condition, the Hamden versus East Hartford plants, the out of business copy cat that made lesser quality pistols based on the High Standard designs, and the new company that is making better quality (tho not Hamden quality) pistols.

They are an older design overall, but can be pretty good shooters. Lacking modern ergonomics.

Value is as the market commands...
BorzoiDad

High Standard Trophy

Post by BorzoiDad »

You are right - it is Hamden.

It does have the 22Short conversion, but does not have a magazine for it.
plinker

Post by plinker »

I've got the exact same gun, and it's a real tack driver! High Standards do not like mag loads, so it's best to stick with something like CCI standard velocity.

Take good care of it and it will outlast you!
jackh

Re: High Standard Trophy

Post by jackh »

BorzoiDad wrote:I have the opportunity to purchase a High Standard Supermatic Trophy Military pistol. The pistol is in near perfect condition and has a receiver and barrel for 22Short in addition to the 22LR. The pistol is stamped as made in Camden, Conn and has a serial #243xxxx.

I am new to shooting (but enjoying greatly) and have no experience in classic firearms. I am considering purchasing because of the great condition and it seems like a neat gun.

Does this pistol have any collector value? There seems to be a wide range of prices on the Net, how do I determine a fair value?

Thanks.
Does the subject pistol have the long rifle barrel and steel slide and long rifle magazines making it a complete 22 long rifle pistol? Is the slide serial numbered to the frame? The serial number mentioned indicated a pistol from the high quality era.

A 22 short "kit" for the Trophy, without the magazines is not very marketable. A full kit includes a 5.5" bull barrel for shorts, an aluminum slide, 2 short magazines, and a slip-on compensator. I have such a kit for my 106 Trophy. It is not very accurate at 50 feet compared to the original long rifle setup. I have 4 short magazines that function perfectly with the kit using CCI Tgt Shorts.
BorzoiDad

High Standard Trophy

Post by BorzoiDad »

The pistol is complete as a 22LR - Barrel, Slide, magazine. I should also note the barrel is the long fluted one.

I am at work so I can't check the serial numbers.

I wasn't planning to use the 22 Short pieces, but thought they added to the pistol. However, it seems without a reliable magazine they don't really.