Just bought a new MG2 RF. Will this end in tears?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
grumpy

MG2 RF

Post by grumpy »

nvalcik wrote: I had several problems with the brass not extracting everytime and getting hung in the action.

The extractor design is newer on the RF kit but does not appear to work as well.

I used RWS and T-22 both yesterday and had the exact same problems.
You have just entered the MG2-trouble zone.
Brian James

Re: MG2 RF

Post by Brian James »

grumpy wrote:
nvalcik wrote: I had several problems with the brass not extracting everytime and getting hung in the action.

The extractor design is newer on the RF kit but does not appear to work as well.

I used RWS and T-22 both yesterday and had the exact same problems.
You have just entered the MG2-trouble zone.

In fairness to MG - I don't think Winchester T22 is the ideal nor appropriate round for a european target pistol. RWS is a different story. I would suggest you try shooting the pistol with both hands to see if it will extract with the RWS and T22. - just a test.

Brian
nvalcik

MG2RF

Post by nvalcik »

Thanks Brian. I tried two hands as well and the same problem occurred. I have had absolutely no problems with T-22 with the standard MG2 as long as you make sure the bullet itself is not out of alignment from the manufacturer. The RWS and T-22 had the exact same problem with the RF slide. I will see if I can run some Lapua or Green Tag through it next (if I can find any!) That ammo has been tough to come by lately. Do you know if the standard MG2 slide will work with the front end buffer system of the MG2RF?

I can try that approach next and see if Matchguns can fix the issue with the slide itself.

These types of issues are common for a new manufacturer and I am going to be patient in resolving the issues instead of taking a negative approach. I know many on this forum have had issues with the MG2, but until I tried the RF conversion kit, I have had no problems whatsoever.

I know that on the MG2 that the extractor has been redesigned several times, so I will see if they have a fix for this particular problem.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

All slides work with the RF barrel shroud, as long as you have the new style springs installed. First series springs usually don't work with four absorbers, and sometimes not even with two. Otherwise, no problem - I'm shooting a 10xx MG2 with the original heavy slide and a RF shroud with 2 absorbers.
nvalcik

MG2RF

Post by nvalcik »

Thanks Tycho, that is the information I was looking for. I have had my MG2 for only a year, so I am assuming that I have the newer springs. I will try the older slide and see what happens.
nvalcik

MG2 RF

Post by nvalcik »

The problem was discovered that the ejector had broken. Neal Stepp replaced it yesterday and we will see how the range test goes for the Rapid Fire conversion kit. Has anyone else had the ejector break on a MG2?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The RF version has a considerably lighter slide than the MG2, and consequently is designed for lighter ammo. Using something like T22 is trouble waiting to happen in my, and the Australian importers opinion.

p.s. nvalcik, now the broken extractor claw has been replaced, it will spit cases 20 feet or more. After mine was upgraded, the difference in the case ejection was incredible.
nvalcik

RE: MG RF

Post by nvalcik »

My hypothesis is that the original ejector probably sheared off when the new rapid fire bolt tried to pass over the ejector and caught the ejector since the slot on the RF slide (at least on mine) is of lower height than my original MG2 slide. Considering the ejector is a different design from the original one and from the extra parts that I saw, I am guessing that this had something to do with it. I am taking it to the range Saturday to test fire it. We will see what happens. As far as T-22 goes, I would not think that the ammo was the issue on this problem since the problem occurred on the very first shot I had with the conversion kit in place. With the buffer system on the front T-22 should not be an issue with any type of breakage since it is standard velocity ammo. I also tested RWS, Eley, Tenex and Lapua and the recoil differences with even the standard MG2 is pretty similar to how it feels to me.
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Ah man, just broke the firing pin. Just when I was getting extra terrestial targets. Any idea where to get replacements?
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I'd suggest you contact either your national importer or MG diretly. It might be wise to order a spare firing pin, buffer, Bullet insert lever and springs as spare parts for your shooting bag.

I placed an order with MG this week for those items, minus the firing pin, just to have spares in case of an unforseen breakage. I have the same spare parts for all my pistols, and thankfully rarely use them. But when I need one its nice to have one at home.

Good luck,

Brian
tito64

mg2

Post by tito64 »

I dont like the materials of the mg2, very poor in comparision with feinwerkbau or pardini sp1 include
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Thanks Brian, I will just do that and ring up Stefano Calzetti for that list you gave me. Otherwise my only complaint is clearing misfires or accidentally triggering in dry fire and having to pull back the slide. am wondering actually why the clearances were not designed to eject an unfired round easily. Otherwise, superb piece of equipment really.
nvalcik

RE: MG RF

Post by nvalcik »

I just test fired the RF kit with the ejector replaced. No problems with anything except one RWS that failed to go off when hit by the firing pin and one Lapua round that failed to go off when hit by the firing pin. The gun shot extremely accurate and that was no recoil at all. I was very impressed.
jipe

Re: RE: MG RF

Post by jipe »

nvalcik wrote:I just test fired the RF kit with the ejector replaced. No problems with anything except one RWS that failed to go off when hit by the firing pin and one Lapua round that failed to go off when hit by the firing pin. The gun shot extremely accurate and that was no recoil at all. I was very impressed.
One RWS and one Lapua out of how many shots ?
nvalcik

RE: MG2RF

Post by nvalcik »

It was around 25 rounds for RWS and 25 rounds for Lapua. The firing pin appeared to hit the case hard enough. I was thinking about ordering an extra firing pin just in case the firing pin may not be striking it hard enough. I will test further when I have more time.
David Levene

Re: RE: MG2RF

Post by David Levene »

nvalcik wrote:It was around 25 rounds for RWS and 25 rounds for Lapua.
As you are obviously aware, that is nowhere near reliable enough and needs to be sorted out.

In a Rapid Fire match you only get one allowable malfunction per 30 shot half course and even that is far more than you would want. Any more than that and, unless you are shooting against shooters with much lower scores, you have lost the match.