Browning International

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Irod

Browning International

Post by Irod »

I would like to hear opinions about the Browning Medallist/International.

How many olympic matches win this pistol?

Is more a pretty pisto than a serious pistol?

How much it cost in a good shape? (No red velvet case, no counterweigts, no screwdriver, just the plain pistol and 80% blue.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I would be totally amazed if it was ever used in the Olympics, let alone won one.

Until 1984, when the Sport Pistol (25m Pistol - Ladies Match) was added, there were only the Free Pistol & Rapid matches (apart from the Army Pistol match in 1896). The Medalist / International would never have been competitive in any of those matches.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It makes a nice Bullseye gun. It would be decently competitive in Standard Pistol.

They were fairly expensive when introduced and never became really popular against the S&W 41. I can remember lusting for one back in the day.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

From what I remember of the Medalist, you'd need to do some major mods to get it to pass inspection.

Post by Guest »

R.M. wrote:From what I remember of the Medalist, you'd need to do some major mods to get it to pass inspection.
In the international model too?
customs954

medalist

Post by customs954 »

I think it has a 6 1/2 inch barrel so no go for ISSF. Would be OK for NRA
TAJ45

Another point is:

Post by TAJ45 »

The grips are kinda on the huge/bulky side. You'll have to do some major mods............probably.

I have shot a fair amount of NRA Bulls Eye and you seldom see them on the line. Some folks get all choked up when the word "Browning" is mentioned. I do when it comes to his genius in design, but the Medalist is just something for a collector to gloat over - only among other Browning collectors, not anyone that wants to compete.

Now, to answer your question, Mike Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values has the older international listed at $500 for 80% and subtract 10-15% for no box etc etc. this is blued. The current model, parkerized, is listed at $350 with same criteria......subtract for no box, tools etc etc.

Doesn't seem like much of a find compared to a S&W model 41....imho. But, whatever turns you crank, eh?