eye-iris-lens-target

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Limator

Re: polarization

Post by Limator »

vin wrote:Do people use polarization to reduce glare in 10m air pistol?
Thanks,
Vin
Good question, I have the same doubt if polarization could help.
[]´s
peterz

Post by peterz »

Optically, polarization is about the only way to reduce glare, particularly if it is itself polarized.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:
<snip>

Quite. Which is why the prime purpose of the iris is NOT to achieve these things! Where do I get that idea from? An understanding of the optics.
Read the posts above and on other threads and you will see most people do use the iris for those (wrong) reasons.
Optically, polarization is about the only way to reduce glare, particularly if it is itself polarized.
I can't think of anything else to specifically reduce glare. Filters help but they cut out 'normal' light as well as glare.

Rob.
Spencer

Re: polarization

Post by Spencer »

vin wrote:Do people use polarization to reduce glare in 10m air pistol?
Thanks,
Vin
The polarisation of a polarised lens is unlikely to make any difference to indoor (i.e. unpolarised) lighting: any tint is a different matter.
vin

ok!

Post by vin »

It makes sense that polarized lens do not reduce glare for non polarized light, except that they darken the image like a gray filter. But, isn't the haze caused by too much light polarized by the sight gap?

I'm guessing that polarization isn't going to be a solution for me, but it would be great to have a low absorption polarized filter to get rid of all the haze.

Thanks,
Vin
Rover

Post by Rover »

If it ain't here, you don't need to know it! (Took me awhile to find it.)

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

But, quoted from above...

The Ideal Pupil

The ideal pupil, .......no, I'm not referring to our kids at school. Why does one shooter see exceptionally well while another shooter does not? I'm referring to shooters with identical ages, eyeglass prescriptions, and corrected maximum visual acuities. There are other variables which come into play while we sight our guns, one of which is "pupil size," and it appears that very little attention has been given to this topic.

We generally have no control over our pupil size, but an understanding of how the pupil can affect our seeing may help determine solutions for our vision problems. Quite by accident, I was reading the vision section of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, Pistol Marksmanship Training Guide and discovered that a pupil size of approximately 3 millimeters was considered ideal for best vision. I did a little more research so that I may either confirm or dispute this claim. I don't always believe everything I read.

One source from my research stated that "2 mm." was the ideal size for best vision, while another source quoted "3 to 4 mm." as being the best size. One important note from my findings was that the "depth of focus" increases by 0.12 diopter for every millimeter change in pupil size from 8 mm. to 2.5 millimeters. What this means is that with smaller pupils, we see with a greater depth of focus which is important for our iron sight guns. At arm's length, a 0.50 diopter increase in the depth of focus will extend the range of clear vision by approximately 35 cm. which is about 12 inches. This is why shooter #1 (with ideal sized pupils) sees the front and rear sights well while shooter #2 (with large pupils) may not. The bull may also be more blurry for shooter #2 and not so much for shooter #1.

What happens with too small of a pupil? Well, we have a condition known as diffraction which causes interference. Light rays are no longer straight as they pass by an edge such as our iron sights, or even the round edge of our pupil margins. It is generally agreed upon that a pupil size less than 2 to 3 mm. will cause these diffraction interferences. It is important to understand that pupil size does decrease with aging, which may be another reason why some of us may not see as well as we become older.

Pupil sizes larger than 3 to 4 mm. may show signs of spherical aberrations, which would also affect our firearm sight focus, the red dot as well as irons. The very front portion of our eyes is known as the cornea and most of the focusing occurs here rather than with our crystalline lens. The central portion of the cornea provides the best focus while the peripheral cornea does not. Besides causing a more shallow depth of focus, a larger pupil would allow peripheral light rays to enter the eye and affect the central light rays, and would therefore increase blur.

Why is all this talk about pupil size of any importance to shooters? Well, those with larger pupils may be aided by using an adjustable aperture if better vision is desired while sighting. I'm not referring to increasing depth of field, but to improve overall vision by decreasing or eliminating spherical aberrations. Those with very small pupils may be aided with the use of tinted lenses which would help to dilate the pupils. In this case, I'm not suggesting tinted lenses for sun protection, but to reduce diffraction interferences.

The most common complaint I hear from shooters who say they don't see the red dot or iron sight well is because they "think" they have astigmatism even after wearing their new eyeglasses. However, after all refractive errors have been compensated for with the use of new eyeglasses, vision should be perfect, unless the pupil size is not ideal.
vin

Dr. Norman Wong!

Post by vin »

Thanks,
I have read his stuff many times.
It's very useful!
Vin