Spotting Scope Recommendation for 10M 3P Air RIfle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

TwoMutts

Spotting Scope Recommendation for 10M 3P Air RIfle

Post by TwoMutts »

My son is getting started in 3P Air rifle and we need to gear him up. I was wondering if anyone can give me a recommendation on a spotting scope and stand. THere are sooooo many to choose from.....I am hoping to keep the cost down some since we have quite a few other items to get.

Thanks,

Jeff
peterz

Post by peterz »

Remember that the distance is only 10m, and isn't going to increase, and a hole from a 4.5mm pellet is pretty big. You need something with a zoom to adjust the magnification to the side of the target, and frankly you do not require top-notch Zeiss or Leica optics. At 10m an air pistol bull nicely fills the field of view on a simple 15x scope, so that's the low end you're looking for. The high end can range from 20-45x, enough to zoom in on a rifle bull. Now, if you want to score a shot that's right on the edge of a ring, you may need better optics to do it from 10m, but that's not why I use a scope.

The one thing you do have to worry about is finding a scope that will focus as close as 10 meters; many of the inexpensive ones won't.

All that said, my wife gave me a very inexpensive Celestron 15-40x (or so; since I don't run it out to its top mag, I don't remember the top end) zoom from B&H Photo for a Christmas present last year, and it works beautifully for the purpose. Cost was under $50, and it came with a half-decent table-top tripod.

You'll probably want to spend another $30-$50 to buy a good stable photographic tripod so the 'scope can stand on the floor. When buying a tripod rigidity is everything, especially if you go to higher magnification.
Last edited by peterz on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Re: Spotting Scope Recommendation for 10M 3P Air RIfle

Post by RobStubbs »

TwoMutts wrote:My son is getting started in 3P Air rifle and we need to gear him up. I was wondering if anyone can give me a recommendation on a spotting scope and stand. THere are sooooo many to choose from.....I am hoping to keep the cost down some since we have quite a few other items to get.

Thanks,

Jeff
As Peter points out, anything will work fine at 10m. Get a cheap scope anywhere you can find one, but just check it focuses that close. You may want to consider getting something good enough for 50M as well (for the future) but again most scopes are fine at 50M as a .22 hole is still fairly big at that distance.

Rob.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The scope I recommend for 10m is this one:
http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 338&page=1

While it seems to be out of stock today (4/17/2010), it is because it is so popular w/ 10m clubs.

The "no-fault" warranty is a biggie with me .... especially with beginner shooters.

I had one shooter, just a few weeks ago, get HIS VERY OWN scope so he would not have to share. He received it the day before a match, and at the match, the shooter next to him knocked his stand over and broke the sunshade (no biggie to me since we shoot indoors mostly), his grandma called CSS and they replaced the scope and waived the $20 replacement fee.
peterz

Post by peterz »

The scope I recommend for 10m is this one:
You really don't need to spend that much. See the $54.95 Celestron at this B&H page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... _PRICE_2|0

The review on the page is mine, and after several months, I'm still happy.
[/quote]
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Again, for a starter, I still recommend the CSS scope. It is also a 45° eyepiece which makes it easier for shooters to get the scope out of their way instead of having to get directly behind it.

These scopes used to go for about $78, (thru optics planet) but they've gone up a bit in the past year.

In reality, almost any scope will work for 10m if it can focus that close
Rover

Post by Rover »

I second that 45 degree setup. It's important for the ease and comfort of the (rifle) shooter.

I also second jhmartin's choice:
jipe

Post by jipe »

I also have such a Celestron, its a very good scope for that price a fits very well for 10m shooting. It has been sold under several brands. This scope can ofthen be found on eBay for a good price.

When you choose a scope for 10m indoor, two things to check:
- not too small diameter = 50mm or 60mm because smaller is darker and not very confotable for indoor use.
- check that the minimal focus is lower than 10m. Often cheap scope have a relatively long minimal focus distance several cannot focus at 10m.
dpg4

Post by dpg4 »

Just bought a Konus 65mm 15 x 45 Scope from champion shooters supply and it works great at 10meters. Also bought the freeland scope stand (it costs more than the scope but worth it) It has good clear glass and works well at longer distances.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I have a 20-60 zoom Barska I bought at Dunham's for under $60. It works great out to 90M for archery, and also great at 10M for AR in the basement. Comes with a cheap but servicable table-top tripod. I used a camera tripod I had for standing, but a used tripod can be bought for $15-$20 at a good camera store.