Legal indoor range

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Packard

Legal indoor range

Post by Packard »

Where can I find a list that tells me if it is legal to have an indoor shooting range in my home in my state? (I am in Dutchess County, NY.)

I am curious about both air rifle and shooting 22s. I have room for a 50 foot range (80 feet unobstructed).

Regards,

Packard
BorzoiDad

Municipal Code

Post by BorzoiDad »

The first place I would check is for the state and local municipal code. Many can be found at Municode.com. After that I would check with your local Police Dept. There shouldn't be a problem with an indoor range for air rifle or pistol as those are not classified as firearms (at least here Virginia).

You may run into problems trying to get a 22 range as those are classified as firearms and you get into those regulations.
Tom Amlie

Be sure to see the ordinance

Post by Tom Amlie »

If you call your local police department, you may well get a knee-jerk "no you can't do that" (just as I did some years ago when I lived in MD). Ask, politely, what the specific ordinance is that governs the issue. If they can't back up their statement find someone who can.
Freepistol

Re: Be sure to see the ordinance

Post by Freepistol »

Tom Amlie wrote:If you call your local police department, you may well get a knee-jerk "no you can't do that" (just as I did some years ago when I lived in MD). Ask, politely, what the specific ordinance is that governs the issue. If they can't back up their statement find someone who can.
I agree with Tom.
If you can find the regs anonymously, that would be better. If it was me, I would just set up the AR range and shoot. I'd also shoot the .22 if I wasn't in a densely populated area or a development with all kinds of rules and I had no close neighbors who didn't like me.

I've always heard it is easier to be forgiven, than it is to get permission.

Ben

Post by Guest »

I live far enough from my neighbors that I could probably shoot shoulder fired anti-tank missles without them hearing it in their house. There is the remote possiblitity that a pedestrian might hear the 22s, but since the basement is underground and there are no front windows for the basement it seems unlikely.

I just don't want the SWAT team to come busting into the house one day...

I will check the muni codes.

Thanks.
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

Beyond legality, I would be concerned about lead dust from shooting .22s. I have 80 ft unobstructed in my basement but only have standard HVAC down there. In my club range there are industrial-strength exhaust fans.

I don't worry about air rifle or air pistol with a putty pellet trap since the putty doesn't generate lead dust.
Oz

Post by Oz »

The dust from the actual lead bullet isn't a safety issue. Unless you suck on them at some point. As lead rounds are flattened, the fragments that break off are too large to stay air bound and drop to the floor immediately. It's very unlikely that fragmented bullets will be inhaled or ingested.

The lead issue come from the primers which contain lead that is vaporized when the primer is fired. That lead is *easily* inhaled via the smoke and will cause build-up over time. An extremely well ventilated firing point would be needed in a home range to be safe over time. And I haven't a clue how to handle that contaminated smoke from a firing point. Most ranges just vent it outdoors...

Oz

Post by Guest »

It is starting to sound like it should be air rifle only.

Thanks,

Packard
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ask the NRA. It's their job to know such things.

You are a member aren't you?