Handstop rules

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

GTFS

Handstop rules

Post by GTFS »

Hi All,
My question is, Can you make a all in one moulded handstop and stock riser to fit the hand exactly? I have been looking through the ISSF rule book and cannot find anything that says you can’t. Has anybody done this? Is it legal for ISSF? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking?

Glen Turner.

Post by Guest »

For 50m Prone and Kneeling? I think you would be allowed a moulded handstop. However you would have to take care that the stop/raiser doesn't touch your arm or sleeve.

Tim S
Taunton UK
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Hi Tim
Yes for prone only. Am I right that the sling is only allowed to touch the rifle at the handstop, but if the handstop and riser are moulded to be all the same piece would that still be ok? It would just be a big handstop??

Glen Turner
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think it's legal under ISSF but I can't think why you'd want a moulded handstop. As long as you are getting good contact and it's comfortable then I can't see the benefit. It's also worth noting that the current wisdom (at least amongst coaches I know) is that a small handstop is better than a big wide one. Although I think that's largely because it's much harder to get a good, even, consistent contact with a big wide handstop.

Rob.
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply.

But I can think of a few reasons to use or make a moulded handstop. If (unfortunately) like me you find many of the new (read: I have used many handstops) handstops very painful to use, making one is a good option. If you find a stock handstop that suits you then great, but if not what else are you going to do? I come from a custom manufacturing background so everything I own is either perfect the way it is or I have customised it so it is. I never said it was big and wide, (the prototype I have made is thinner than my 46mm wide stock) just big as in long so it can fit under the hand as well as for the hand to push up against. Just like profiling your stock to fit your hand is suggested for people who can’t get a comfortable fit. You can increase the contact area with a moulded stop and as a result decrease the points of pressure which for me cause pain. You can offset the v contact point between the thumb and first finger to get the right spot for your hand to sit under the rifle stock. The Grunig & Elmiger Revolution lll stock has an offset accessory rail to help achieve this.
Customised Parts in life are common just as in rifle shooting or pistol shooting, how many people make a custom pistol grip??
That’s right lots..

For me rifle shooting is the pursuit of excellence in every way, from the equipment & ammo to the mind and attitude, if there is a problem or something is in the way, move it or fix it and take on the next challenge.

And to your last point about current wisdom, it’s just that current, which will be replaced with the new current wisdom when something better, comes along. And that won’t be right for everyone either.

I encourage everyone to chase your own personal version of excellence and happiness.

Glen Turner.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Glen,
Nothing wrong with pursuing your own version of excellence, but just be wary of going down a side route that's counter productive. The same as all things shooting, make changes one at a time and evaluate them over time.

It's fair to say there are numerous reasons for pain in shooting, especially in the supporting hand. The glove, jacket fit (lumps or seams), body position, sling etc all play there part and could all be reasons.

So I'm not advising you don't make the handstop but just check things iteratively and don't be afraid to back off and even build up the position again from scratch if need be. The latter is obviously far easier with a coach to help you.

Rob.
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

Rob

This side road has been developed both by me and my coach and the technical analysis of the prototype on noptel has been very encouraging so far. I just wanted to know/check if it is legal or not.

Thank you for the encouragement and I am not afraid to start over again if need be.

Glen Turner