Today, after some reckoning I decided to quit sport shooting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Today, after some reckoning I decided to quit sport shooting

Post by Guest »

Today, after some reckoning I decided to quit sport shooting. The reason being I live in a certain EU country where acquiring ammunition is rather troublesome—ammo being scarce and cost being almost twice that of neighboring countries. This has not been an easy decision as it took me about two years to decide this. I feel sad, besides I was really improving my scores recently. But I am too fed up with the laws of this rotten country.

Good luck for all other shooters worldwide!

PS

I am actually pondering the acquisition of a PCP gun but the legislation being a bit imprecise regarding their transportation makes me believe it is better not to buy one.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It's a shame to see anyone leaving the sport, we need as many participants worldwide as we can get.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering which EU country you are referring to.
joker

Post by joker »

Sad decision but why the big secret of which country?
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hi
It's a bad new for all the shooters.
I dont see the EU country you speak about, but it's always a bad new.
Perhaps I said an idiot word but change of country ? it's not easy decision.
Good luck for the next.
gerhard
Oz

Post by Oz »

Maybe it's just my personality, but if I was in whatever country this is, I'd be the loudest most annoying squeaky wheel, gun proponent my country had ever seen. Maybe that's just the American way ;-)
1008mod

Re: Today, after some reckoning I decided to quit sport shoo

Post by 1008mod »

Anonymous wrote:Today, after some reckoning I decided to quit sport shooting. The reason being I live in a certain EU country where acquiring ammunition is rather troublesome—ammo being scarce and cost being almost twice that of neighboring countries. This has not been an easy decision as it took me about two years to decide this. I feel sad, besides I was really improving my scores recently. But I am too fed up with the laws of this rotten country.

PS

I am actually pondering the acquisition of a PCP gun but the legislation being a bit imprecise regarding their transportation makes me believe it is better not to buy one.
Don't quit man. Shoot AP. That's what I do in a reasonably restrictive country also. Get yourself a shiny silver lp 10 and cock a snoot at the pains in the b****. Never ever quit mate. Strive for a way.
Guest 2

Don't Quit

Post by Guest 2 »

Sounds like if you give up AMMO, the savings will pay for your LP-10. Don't quit -- you'll really enjoy AP and won't spend so much on ammo.

cm

Post by Guest »

> I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering which EU country you are referring to.

It's one of the PIGS.

> why the big secret of which country?

Just to avoid a lengthy thread and also there's few registered shooters so it'd be too easy to know who's writing this. Not that it matters much.

> Perhaps I said an idiot word but change of country ?

Where's this piece of land administered in such a way enthusiasts aren't hampered in the normal development of their interests? That be their favorite sport or business related.

> I'd be the loudest most annoying squeaky wheel

I could do that too, but this wouldn't make a difference whatsoever.

> Don't quit man. Shoot AP.

I'm thinking really hard about this. Funny thing I'd have zero problems shooting at home but going to a club-range/ competitions located far away from my town could pose a problem. Our gun law is poorly written besides being rather restricive.

> Sounds like if you give up AMMO, the savings will pay for your LP-10.

I just hope they don't ban pellets next... also, is the LP-10 the way to go? FWB, Walther, etc there's so many choices out there.

Thanks for your support!
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Anonymous wrote:. . . . also, is the LP-10 the way to go? FWB, Walther, etc there's so many choices out there.

Thanks for your support!
I love my Morini 162EI short. The problem is, I can't get my free pistol trigger to feel the same as the Morini.
Ben
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Anonymous wrote:Our gun law is poorly written besides being rather restricive.
Why do I get the feeling I know exactly where you mean? :(
> Sounds like if you give up AMMO, the savings will pay for your LP-10.
I just hope they don't ban pellets next... also, is the LP-10 the way to go? FWB, Walther, etc there's so many choices out there.
Thanks for your support!
The LP-10 is droolworthy, but if you've never shot AP before, I'd say get an IZH-46 and shoot with that for a year. Cheap as chips, will outshoot just about anyone in the country at the moment (if I guessed right about which part of the PIIGS you're in) and the Gardai have no problems with them. Plus, the ammo's cheap - top of the line R10 pellets for €12 per tin of 500.
And it'll all go into a single case with all the supporting kit:
http://10point9.ie/2009/03/04/pistol-case/
peterz

Post by peterz »

I have a sexier pistol than my IZH-46M, but it doesn't shoot any better. The trigger on the "Izzy" is astoundingly good given its low price. It outshoots me and everybody I know. Worth a good look.
Last edited by peterz on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
compscotty

Post by compscotty »

Anonymous wrote:Today, after some reckoning I decided to quit sport shooting. The reason being I live in a certain EU country where acquiring ammunition is rather troublesome—ammo being scarce and cost being almost twice that of neighboring countries. This has not been an easy decision as it took me about two years to decide this. I feel sad, besides I was really improving my scores recently. But I am too fed up with the laws of this rotten country.

PS

Even pellet guns are restricted?? you gotta be kidding!! oh well.
bigbore4me

Post by bigbore4me »

PS

Finprof

Post by Finprof »

If you are talking about rimfire precison shooting it is cheap even if ammunition is twice as expensive as anywhere else.
Be glad you don't play golf in Japan or in a metropolitan US city or shoot trap or action pistol. In any of those cases it is easy to blow through a hundred dollars in a couple of hours. In an hour at trap you will shoot 4 boxes at $5.00 a box if you reload and $6.00 if you don't plus $25.00 for target fees.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

If you stop shooting than the forces of tyranny will have won another small victory.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

melchloboo wrote:If you stop shooting than the forces of tyranny will have won another small victory.
Excellent reasoning!!

Alternatives

Post by Guest »

If you are giving up the sport, I recommend you play golf - it's a worthy alternative to target shooting!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

melchloboo wrote:If you stop shooting than the forces of tyranny will have won another small victory.
Yes exactly, very few ever loose all their freedoms all at once it usually done a small bit a a time under the guise of reasonableness.

Laws are passed that chip away in small pieces, They are designed to frustrate some but are reasonable to the masses, until the few just give up in frustration or they pass enough laws that in the end they totally remove a right or freedom.
TwoLegPete

Post by TwoLegPete »

If I were you, I wouldn't quit shooting.

If shooting firearms is too much of a hassle in your country, try shooting air pistol. Shooting AP is a lot of fun and is also very demanding, if you take it seriously (it's olympic for a reason!).

Get a good match gun. If you don't want to spend a fortune, get a decent used one, like the FWB 100 for example.

I also started shooting AP due to our strict gun laws here in Germany (*), as I'm not yet entitled to own a firearm. I enjoy shooting AP a lot and I think it's an excellent way to learn proper shooting technique. I could shoot with my club's or my friends' guns, but most of the time I prefer AP. Even though I will have my own free pistol or .22 sport-pistol in about 4 months, I don't think that I will quit shooting AP, then.

(*) you can only own a firearm if you are registered with one of the sport shooting associations, and you have to wait for one year after registering before you can buy a firearm.