What do I look for in a used Steyr LP-10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
robinhoods

What do I look for in a used Steyr LP-10

Post by robinhoods »

Anything in particular I should ask a seller when looking for a used Steyr LP
I will be ready to buy in a few days. I struggled between the Morini and the Steyr reading everything I can.These seem to be the top two I guess. The SAM K-11 pops up also.
I'm a little past it for competition shooting but I really like the 10 meter pistol shooting. Now that I have my cataracts removed I can see the bull clearly with both eyes open and the front sight blade of the pistol is razor sharp and I can just bring it up under the 10 ring slowly but when I try to square up the rear sight with the front blade a number 6.5 richter scale tremor hits my arm. I am going to try wrist weights for awhile. Thanks for any replies. I would really like to have the patience to wait a little longer and get the E model Steyr but I know I will never make it.
There are too many good deals on this site.
David F
lastman

Post by lastman »

My suggestions would be to check that the grip will suit your hand. If your going to have to buy a new grip to go with it you might as well just get a brand new one.

Other than that make sure you're getting a good price.

Good luck
peterz

Post by peterz »

You have more than enough pistols. Choose the best of the ones you have and learn to shoot it. By an LP-10E new with just the right grip when your scores run better than 480/600 or 500/600.

I think you ought to have a grip fitted to your hand, not just buy a random one.
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

peterz wrote:You have more than enough pistols. Choose the best of the ones you have and learn to shoot it. By an LP-10E new with just the right grip when your scores run better than 480/600 or 500/600.

I think you ought to have a grip fitted to your hand, not just buy a random one.
I have Zero pistols.
I had the K58 and then the model 80 which I just sold.
an SSP and a springer-to me the K58 had the edge over the 80. Now I want the air pistol. If I went back to the SSP it would only be the FWB 100 series.
I just sold my 300S also so I have nothing to shoot but I do know that I want to stay with the pistol.
David F
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Very little to go wrong on the LP10. You can check it's clean and tidy and that the cocking lever feels smooth, but apart from that nothing much. As mentioned above, check the grip is ok for you or at least close enough to be self modify-able as a new grip isn't cheap.

Rob.
joker

Post by joker »

More important than how tidy it looks :

Check 'sell by date' on air cylinder.
Condition of all visible O rings
Condition of screw threads on cylinder mount
Carry out a Chrono check on muzzle velocity (around 520 fps)
Crown of muzzle free from damage by cleaning rods
Tool kit, filling adaptor, spare O rings
robinhoods

Post by robinhoods »

OK thanks
Maybe I should wait two weeks and get a new one.
david F
robinhoods

grip size

Post by robinhoods »

Is there a way to determine your grip size by measurement.
such as hand width and length from end of wrist to tip of middle finger.?
David F
Tolkach

LP-10

Post by Tolkach »

Most people use the guide from the Rink grips web site:

http://www.formgriffe.de/alt/english/parameter.htm

My hand measures 93mm as in the diagram and I have a Medium grip on my LP-10 -- but it is a bit small. I believe I need a large.

I bought my LP-10 used from this site (TargetTalk). It's about two years old now (Nov 2008 cylinder) and I have had no problems with it. I would have to pay more than $500 more for a new one than I paid for this, so buying used was definitely worth it. I may invest in a new grip, but I may have had to do that even if I had bought the pistol new.

cm
Rover

Post by Rover »

Get a low price. You'll probably be trading it off on a Morini in a couple of weeks anyway.

Post by Guest »

Get a low price. You'll probably be trading it off on a Morini in a couple of weeks anyway.
Does this mean that a Morini grip is somehow better than a Rink grip? If so, why?
Rover

Post by Rover »

I was responding to the original question.

He should pay a low price for his Steyr since he will be trading it for a Morini soon.

Sarcasm is just one of the many services we offer.
robinhoods

Re: LP-10

Post by robinhoods »

Tolkach wrote:Most people use the guide from the Rink grips web site:

http://www.formgriffe.de/alt/english/parameter.htm

My hand measures 93mm as in the diagram and I have a Medium grip on my LP-10 -- but it is a bit small. I believe I need a large.

I bought my LP-10 used from this site (TargetTalk). It's about two years old now (Nov 2008 cylinder) and I have had no problems with it. I would have to pay more than $500 more for a new one than I paid for this, so buying used was definitely worth it. I may invest in a new grip, but I may have had to do that even if I had bought the pistol new.

cm
thanks for the site info.
My hand measures 3.875 inches and that makes it 98 mm.
So I guess I just break into the large grip.
David F
kevinweiho

LP-10

Post by kevinweiho »

Robinhoods:

Like the rest of the guys said: Check that the grips fit you comfortably!

Then you should also take into account that the newer version of the LP-10 now comes with the ball bearing trigger and allows for more control and a smoother 'let off'.

Be patient and wait for a deal to pop up.

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
robinhoods

Re: LP-10

Post by robinhoods »

kevinweiho wrote:Robinhoods:

Like the rest of the guys said: Check that the grips fit you comfortably!

Then you should also take into account that the newer version of the LP-10 now comes with the ball bearing trigger and allows for more control and a smoother 'let off'.

Be patient and wait for a deal to pop up.

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.

OK-I am trying-I have around $1600 and in four weeks I will be up to $2200 Are the new Steyr prices out yet?
David
Thanks Keyho
dev

new prices

Post by dev »

Why don't you write an email to Steyr in Austria. There is a Ms.Manuella Weinzerl in international sales. She can and will make you a great offer. I got mine brand new (silver) with matching air cylinders and all plus postage for Euro 1080. I believe some one commented on the forum that it was around $ 1500 or so.

I think this is a great way to buy an Lp 10.

Dev
David Levene

Re: new prices

Post by David Levene »

dev wrote:I think this is a great way to buy an Lp 10.
It might be a cheap way to buy an LP10 but what do you do if you have a problem during the warranty period. Although the official distributors in some countries might help you, you might end up sending the gun back to Austria.

It's much better IMHO to buy a gun through the official distribution channel in your country, even if it might cost a bit more. If you want them to be there when you have a problem then you have to support them.
robinhoods

LP 10

Post by robinhoods »

I did send a message but I got a reply from pilkguns.
From my point of view-In a way it would be nice to get a break on the price but there are people here who deal in the very guns I am looking for.
I might pay a higher price maybe $50 or more but Dan is right. If something is wrong you send it to them,
You don't have to pack it up and make out customs paperwork and keep your fingers crossed hoping they get it and fix it and send it back with no problems.
-They have an inventory of parts for you if something needs replacement and customer support etc etc . Lets not forget that.
They keep up with the latest of everything of several makes and models.
Lots of time on their part and lets not forget dealing with all the different personalities we all have.
All that time and effort is not appreciated sometimes and we go somewhere else for $5. No if I buy new or even a good used pistol and they have it-I will buy from them to show my appreciation.
Just my opinion. Sometimes there is a price you pay for getting the cheapest and we don't realize it until they are gone.