Strange rust problems on barreled action

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ZD

Strange rust problems on barreled action

Post by ZD »

I got a new 1907 anschutz barreled action a little over two months ago. Ever since than, every time I wipe down the barrel or inside the action, I get an orange residue. Obviously, it is rust. However, the strange thing is that it is not visable even with a flashlight; both a yellow light and a white light. It seems impossible to get rid of, and it seems to be everywhere. Have tried the quadruple ought steel wool and oil combo. I clean my gun with hoppies, than wipe it down with silicone spray. Have also wiped it down with oil. I am wondering if it is possible that Anschutz screwed up the blueing job, as blueing is controlled rust. I have never had this problem with any other anschutz rifle
kevin

Post by kevin »

check with your gun shop and or contact anschutz dealer send them a photo and seriel number....anschutz can check their files........kevin.........australia
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have a Anschutz 1712 silhouette rifle that is about 3 years old, that is doing the same thing. I have a handful of other Anschutz rifles, and it is the only one that has this issue. In fact, I has a 54MSR from the same year, and it wipes clean. Strange. I use breakfree CLP, or Rem oil, so the cleaning solutions are not an issue.
ZD

Rust problems

Post by ZD »

To reply to Kevin, I have contacted Anschutz previously on firing pin problems I had with a no longer working rifle. They refered me to one of their "certified dealers;" Champions Choice or Champion shooters. They would not help at all. Logically, I would contact Champions Choice since I purchased the rifle from them, except the issues I am having would be possibly related to Anschutz, not an American dealer.
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

I would get onto Champions Choice or Anschutz quick smart and try to get it replaced or repaired as it is clearly not right. good luck with it.

Glen Turner
ZD

Rust problems

Post by ZD »

I did contact champions choice. A guy by the name of Jim said that according to the gunsmith there, it was probably blueing salts leftover. He said to take a brush and hoppies. If I continue to have problems, I am supposed to contact them again. Much more productive than if I had contacted Anschutz.
kevinweiho

Rust problems

Post by kevinweiho »

ZD:

For rust problems on my airguns, i use FLITZ metal polish and fiberglass cleaner.

When all the rust is removed and I don't see any more red spots on the cloth, I put a good coat of MP-5 Beeman oil on the metal finish and i have not seen anymore problems.

Kevho
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.