Need Advise on SSP

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

muldoon9

Need Advise on SSP

Post by muldoon9 »

Hello,

I have an older SSP that hinges at the rear.
The newer SSP's hinge from the front.

Are they easier, harder or the same ?

Alternately.....
Does anyone use bottled Nitrogen or Argon in thier PCP air rifle ?
Whom has the equipment I can procure ?

Thanks
Michael
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You can use nitrogen, but why would you want to as air is available and cheaper in the US where you are. I could see using Nitrogen in countries that don't have scuba air available.

Air is approx. 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen 1% trace gases. As nitrogen is inert you can increase the percentage of nitrogen without any ill consequences, you can even increase certain trace gases (such as helium) without any negative effects. The thing that you don't want to do is increase the oxygen content.
Rover

Post by Rover »

78% of air is nitrogen. I know nitrogen can be safely used and I'm sure it's much cheaper than argon.

If compressed air is not available to you, nitrogen is easily acquired from a welding supply company.
yana

Post by yana »

What SSP do you have now?
I dont think it really matters cockingwise.Allthough sóme feel the old walther SSP is hardest to cock. Some say its just takes getting used to.
muldoon9

Nitrogen

Post by muldoon9 »

sigh...

yes, I passed chemistry.

I get bottled gas at a huge discount.

Anyone know where I can get the hook - ups to fill the Tank on a gun ?

Old Walthers are harder, ok, Thanks.

Michael
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What you need is a 200 bar DIN fitting to convert whatever they have on your nitrogen tank that you can then screw your fill adapter into. Also what pressure is your nitrogen at? If it's 200 bar (3000 psi) you can fill it directly without worry. If it's greater then you need a regulator or fill very carefully so as not to over fill rifle/pistol cylinder.

200 bar DIN fitting is the standard unless you have a new Walther which uses a 300 bar DIN fitting.

I would think that the gas supplier could help you out to locate someone who has these locally.
ishoottrap

Air/nitrogen stuff

Post by ishoottrap »

This has been hashed to death by the field target folks. Some knowledgeable resources are:

Joe Brancato:

Email: Joe@HamContact.com
Phone: 714-612-5956

Tim McMurray at Mac1:

www.mac1airgun.com

Van at Airhog:

http://www.airhog.com/

These folks all supply connecting components. You might ask this question to them directly or to the yellow forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

-Scot