Lens sizes on rifle/pistol shooting glasses.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

melchloboo

Lens sizes on rifle/pistol shooting glasses.

Post by melchloboo »

I am considering a set of shooting glasses, primary for rifle but I would consider using them for pistol as well.

Why are smaller-diameter lenses sold for rifle, and the larger-diameter ones for pistol? Is this just what people have come to prefer, or is there a reason? Will I be in a bad way if I try to use the same lens diameters for both rifle and pistol?

P.S. How are the Vargas sold by our host?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The larger diameter lens allows you to pick up the pistol sights earlier in the rise from the ready position.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

and the smaller size don't bump out of position when shooting rifle

(however, I have used my (smaller) rifle set when shooting pistol)

Spencer
10x

Post by 10x »

The other thing to consider is that the focal length for a pistol lens is set shorter than a rifle lens....
Regards Adrian
Retired

Post by Retired »

The smaller lenses in pistol tend to result in people doing too much last split-second adjusting when shooting rapid, dueling or sustained fire. The larger lens helps you mentally accept that you're not perfect and just shoot the shot.

Retired