Latest on target paper? suppliers? quality?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forget X's

Latest on target paper? suppliers? quality?

Post by Forget X's »

Well I have visted nearly all the dealers web sites..National, American, Speedwell, USATarget, Pyramid, Pistoleer, Plikguns, Gold Medal Shooting. Lots of mixed info regarding paper types for 10M AP targets ..B-40 and B40/4. Edelmann, Kruger also. I have used Edelmanns but my supply is low now. Kruger is the new top of the heap from my understanding. And now there is the USAshooting approved target too now?? What is the difference between the USAshooting target and Edelmann or Kruger? Ring diameters? It get oh sooo confusing!!. And throw in the the "official NRA targets YIKES!! All I know for certain is stay away from any target that is not designated a card weight or a tag. I have read that that some of the dealers say TAG or Card weight but send paper weight targets. NOT GOOD for AP at all! Especially with tight groups. Any advice?
burnt out

paper

Post by burnt out »

Contact OZ , He will tell you how to get good targets cheap.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

All targets should be the same size - check that they say ISSF approved or something similar. I personally buy Kruger for my club but I don't doubt there aren't others of identical, and very good, quality.

Rob.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Rika Edelmann are pretty good and are approved by the ISSF.

In the UK, they are available from Steyr UK.

JSB
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Don Nygord I believe sold targets from at one point. They are good quality and the price point is right.

Brian

http://www.targets.ca/index.asp?Page=1
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

In terms of target paper, in my experience over the last 2 years of ordering targets: (Again ... my opinions)
BEST ----> WORST
KRUGER ---> American ---------------------------------> National

The Kruger card stock is clearly superior to anything here in the USA. Gold Medal imports those targets. USA-50 Targets and the VIS-ORIONs (AR-5/10 types) are superb

American Target in Denver is not all that bad ... most of my targets ordered from Dave in Denver ... his shipping policy for orders of 1000 or so is superb, as well as his service.

National Target (which NRA seems to love) is pure garbage ... the fiber density is very low so that there are large tears in airgun to hipwr targets. Heaven help you if you use these outdoors and it evens begins to fog up (or rain!) ... sometimes these will fall right off clips & staples like wet TP. Our club ordered 1000 NRA/USA-50's last year and we really can't use them in a match ... the holes punched are just sooooo poor ... we have the kids double them up in practice to 1) use them up & 2) try & get better holes
joker

Post by joker »

I get Kruger 10M AP targets direct from the factory in Germany - I order via their website - they deliver promptly and with no fuss - they send a Proforma Invoice by email - I pay this by Visa card by phoning them - I have the targets in 3 or 4 days.

They are superb targets - so easy to score.
vin

Kruger!

Post by vin »

Kruger and goldmedalshooting.com are great.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gold Medal Shooting is endorsed by USA Shooting, as they are the official suppliers.

I wish I could find some 106T targets for 5 meter AP practice.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Rover wrote:Gold Medal Shooting is endorsed by USA Shooting, as they are the official suppliers.

I wish I could find some 106T targets for 5 meter AP practice.
Our (UK) NSRA sells 6 yard AP targets - which I think is 5.5M. Failing that get the scatt software and print your own scaled down ones (software is free on their website). Kruger may even do scaled targets but you'll have to look on their website.

Rob.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

You may also wish to consider Eggerdruck. ISSF approved and similar quality to Kruger. A little more expensive than Kruger but the ordering and payment process is more straightforward.

http://www.6stern-meisterscheiben.com/s ... anguage=en

Rutty
blg

American

Post by blg »

Has anyone compared the American USA/NRA 50 to the National USA/NRA 50? There is a pretty big difference in the size of the rings. Just wanted to see what you thought

Re: Latest on target paper? suppliers? quality?

Post by Guest »

Forget X's wrote:And throw in the the "official NRA targets YIKES!!
"And there you lay your finger on a sore that many feel" (Tolkein, or words to that effect). One of the things that bugs me to no end is the NRA's insistence on using "approved" targets (read: "US manufactured") for NRA events. The poor paper quality of US targets makes the NRA sectionals, or other NRA-approved matches, more bother than they should be. We end up shooting one shot per bull, while USAS matches, using Edelmann or Kruger target, reasonably allow 5 per bull.
kevin

re targets

Post by kevin »

try photocopying if you have a sample.......kevin.....from australia
Oz

Post by Oz »

I shot at a match at another club last Sunday and believe it or not, the NRA targets just got thinner!!! Seriously! I didn't think it was possible, but the targets are now *literally* the same thickness as some kind of paper. Trying to jam those into the carrier with one hand has become a real challenge. The other club with which I shoot began using Kruger targets about 6 months ago. The saying there is now; It's easier to score 5 shots in a Kruger target than it is to score one in an NRA target.

Oz
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

NRA rule 4.1 about targets indicates you can use ISSF approved targets for a match, so I would use any of the good ones as opposed to the U.S. target suppliers. I just hate having to guess where the pellet actually hit!! Regards, Dwaine.

Re: Latest on target paper? suppliers? quality?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Forget X's wrote:And throw in the the "official NRA targets YIKES!!
"And there you lay your finger on a sore that many feel" (Tolkein, or words to that effect). One of the things that bugs me to no end is the NRA's insistence on using "approved" targets (read: "US manufactured") for NRA events. The poor paper quality of US targets makes the NRA sectionals, or other NRA-approved matches, more bother than they should be. We end up shooting one shot per bull, while USAS matches, using Edelmann or Kruger target, reasonably allow 5 per bull.
The question is whether NRA match directors would opt for higher quality targets with their higher cost. If not, making them available would be pointless.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

dhurt wrote:NRA rule 4.1 about targets indicates you can use ISSF approved targets for a match, so I would use any of the good ones as opposed to the U.S. target suppliers. I just hate having to guess where the pellet actually hit!! Regards, Dwaine.
Dwaine ... check your current rules, especially for an air event. Current 4.1 for Sporter & Precision Air:
4.1 Official Targets - In NRA Sanctioned competition, only targets printed by NRA Licensed Manufacturers, bearing the Official Competition target seal, or targets meeting the exact dimensions as described below without modification except as authorized by NRA, will be used. The use of electronic scoring targets is authorized in all events as long as the fact is included in the match program.
It's only the International (air) rulebook that allows ISSF targets.
The NRA recently disallowed and disqualified a state that used ORION-VIS targets (while CMP and USAS approved, not ISSF approved) in their state 3-P sectional.

Me ... I argue that the ORION-VIS targets (Kruger paper) meet "the the exact dimensions" as the NRA target listed dimensions AND are more dimensionally stable than the "Licensed Manufacturers" paper, therefore are in compliance, but it appears that the PTB at NRA Competitions don't agree
paulo

Post by paulo »

For home practice something like a 24lb/32lb cotton paper should be fine http://www.amazon.com/Southworth-Except ... B00006IE2N
If you decide to print resize to get:

Bulls Eye 59.5mm
10 Ring 11.5mm
X 5.0mm
rings width 8.0 mm each

For competition if the gun is slow it will rip, my IZH does a mess of the NRA sanctioned ones. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/licensed.asp
Attachments
Save a Tree - Green Targets
Save a Tree - Green Targets
2 Cents

some options using poor quality paper targets--NRA

Post by 2 Cents »

I have found that if you spray adhesive a sheet of newsprint to the back side of a one of the thin paper (NRA) 10M AP targets, though not perfect like Edelmann or Krugers, it does hold up well enough for 5 shots. Newsprint is a realitively short fibred paper like the HQ card stock Edelmann and Krugers that yeild nice holes. The added body of the target holds up a little better. If your a 90 average plus shooter ..nevermind. LOL