advice for a new shooter

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SMBeyer

advice for a new shooter

Post by SMBeyer »

I recently got into air pistol shooting and a week ago I received my new Steyr LP10. This is the first time I have shot a pistol with "iron" sights. Normally I shoot either a red dot or a 1X scope with a black dot on my bullseye pistols. I read one persons opinion that the front sight width should appear the same width as the black of the target. I was wondering if that was the general rule or just this persons opinion? With my long arms the 4.5mm sight that the LP10 comes with appears smaller than the black for me. I am shooting in the mid 550's and can call my shots about 90% of the time. I don't have a problem with the sight picture I have but if a wider front sight would give a better one then i'm all for it. I was also wondering if anybody has any suggestions for books to read or videos or anything else to help improve scores since these will be my "coach". I know I haven't been shooting it long but I don't want to just send lead down range meaninglessly.
Thanks in advance for any input,
Scott
Oz

Post by Oz »

If you're already in the mid-550's and can call 90% of your shots, your sight width isn't going to make any difference at all! Unless it's a mental upgrade. In other words, if you believe the wider front sight will help you shoot better and your subconscious really believes it, then you will.

From my limited experience and observations, all you need to do is become more familiar with your new pistol and dry-fire way more than you probably are. Then begin repeating the positives and recreate the steps you use to shoot 10's.

Oz
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I agree with Oz. Some people feel such a foresight / black relationship is optimal, but by no means all do. I certainly wouldn't consider changing unless you had trouble in some aspects of sighting the gun consistently. If it all looks good to you then stay as you are.

Rob.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Guys,
Thanks for the input. I feel comfortable with it set up as it came I just didn't know if too small of a front sight was a major wrong doing or just personal preference. I did have to remove material from the grip to allow my big thumb knuckle to slip between the thumb rest and ridge under the rear sight, after that everything just feels right. I haven't tried any barrel weights yet because I didn't want to change too many things at once. I really didn't expect to shoot it as well as I have so far right away but when I line it up and squeeze it just feels GOOD! I'm just glad to have finally made a decision on what to get and stop looking at AP on the web all night long. When I got it and opened the box (it's silver with blue and silver cylinders) I liked the looks of it and the nice piece of wood on it... OOOHHHH. Then I picked it up and liked it even better...AAAHHH! Can you tell I like my new toy?! I'm making an appointment with the optometrist tomorrow to get my eyes checked since I am now 38 and haven't seen an eye doctor in about 25 years. Maybe that will help also. I will definately add some dry fire to my practice setions. I think that will help me to start trusing my hold and getting my shots off a little quicker. I have a tendancy to hold too long sometimes before braking a shot. Sometimes it seems like the trigger pull is 40#. Thanks for the advice,
Scott
lastman

Post by lastman »

The notion of having the front sight as a similar size as the black on the card is a general rule of thumb.

Really your sights should be of a size that your visual acuity can handle.

As long as you have a good front/back sight ration of say 1:2 you really should be fine.

As far as books go.
Competitive Shooting: A. A Yuy'Yev covers everything.

Or go to
www.pistol-shooting.com and get a copy of Allan's book "A Shooters Guide to Pistol Marksmanship." Best book for beginners I have seen
POPeye as guest

LP10

Post by POPeye as guest »

Good on you Scott. You sound like a natural ISSF shooter, and obviously appreciate quality engineering. I train with an LP10 too.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you also consider the 50m Free Pistol event, as Free Pistols are a real joy to own and shoot too.

Enjoy the escapism.

Popeye
BobB

Post by BobB »

lastman wrote: Or go to
www.pistol-shooting.com and get a copy of Allan's book "A Shooters Guide to Pistol Marksmanship." Best book for beginners I have seen
Just wanted to ++ the recommendation, an exceptional, easy to understand guide that will build solid technique.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Thanks for the recomendation for the books I will be getting them shortly. Right now I am reading "The Pistol Shooters Treasury" by Gil Hebard. It's a good informative book but geared towards NRA Bullseye shooting. I'm gonna look at a friends LP1 to see if I would like a wider front sight or just stay with what I have. Who knows maybe i'll put it up and think it's great but I wont know unless I try it.
Popeye, I'd like to try freepistol it looks like it would be quite challenging! My only problem is being left handed and finding one to use.
I do have to agree with a post someone put up a while back. These things are addicting!!! What are they putting in those pellet tins anyway? Can't be just lead can it? Anyway thanks for the advice and encourage. Scott
paulo

Post by paulo »

You are probably familiar with this site regarding eye glass and prescriptions for dedicated glasses but here it goes
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
peterz

Post by peterz »

A. A Yuy'Yev covers everything.
It's actually A. A Yur'Yev. The dropped r will hinder your search. They've gotten very expensive lately. Time for NRA to reprint some more.

--pz