NCAA Rifle Results

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

NCAA newsboy

NCAA Rifle Results

Post by NCAA newsboy »

TCU -- 2010 NCAA RIFLE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
NCAA Rifle Individual Results
Smallbore Final Results
Smallbore
Air
Aggregate

1 Sarah Scherer, Texas Christian

2 Patrik Sartz, Alaska

3 Chris Burleson, Navy

4 Erin Lorenzen, Texas Christian

5 Sara Lehman, Army

6 Bryant Wallizer, West Virginia

7 Amanda Furrer, Ohio State

8 Brandi Eskew, West Virginia

Smallbore Final Results:

1. Alaska (2,320)
2. TCU (2,314)
3. West Virginia (2,308)
4. Kentucky (2,296)
5. Nebraska (2,295)
6. Army (2,291)
7. Navy (2,288)
8. Murray State (2,272)

Air Rifle Results:
1. TCU 2,361
2. Kentucky, 2,344
3. Murray State 2,339
4. Army 2,336
5. West Virginia 2,333
6. Alaska 2,333
7. Nebraska 2,324
8. Navy 2,314

Individual Air Rifle Results:
1. Jonathan Hall, Columbus State (104.9/699.9)
2. Erin Lorenzen, TCU (104.4/697.4)
3. Ashley Jackson, Kentucky (103.4/697.4)
4. Emily Quiner, Murray State (100.9/693.9)
5. Sarah Scherer, TCU (102.2/693.2)
6. Janine Dutton, Nebraska (101.6/691.6)
7. Keely Stankey, Mississippi (95.7/690.7)
8. Caitlin Morrissey, TCU (99.7/689.7)

Combined Results:
1. TCU 4,675
2. Alaska 4,653
3. West Virginia 4,641
4. Kentucky 4,640
5. Army 4,627
6. Nebraska 4,619
7. Murray State 4,611
8. Navy 4,602

Post by Guest »

Excellent shooting! I haven't really followed NCAA shooting...is it often the case that women dominate the field like this?
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

yes!
JeffinTX

Post by JeffinTX »

As a former collegiate SB rifle shooter and now a Fort Worth resident, I am so proud of the TCU womens rifle team...5 years ago they hadn't even made the NCAA finals before. What a strong showing and what a great job the team has done since the arrival of Coach Monez. Excellent individual and team shooting. Congrats to a great collegiate career to Erin Lorenzan and a great start to freshman Sarah Scherer, a Ft Worth native! TCU is now up there with AK-Fairbanks and WVU! Unfortunately none of this is even mentioned in our local newpaper.
GO FROGS.
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

WOO HOO Go Frogs!!!!! I was on hand for the AR finals and it came down to a shoot off for 2nd, very exciting!!!!
spg

TCU "women" Rifle team

Post by spg »

TCU does NOT have a "womens" rifle team. It is a rifle team ..period. TCU elects to have a team that can be women only. To say its womens team won suggests that it has a mens team too. And it does not have one. Nor is TCU rifle co-ed. Even though NCAA rifle has been a equal mens/womens sport for several decades now. TCU elected to bow to the Title 9 Lords and use the team as a "check box item" on compliance forms to the govenment. Thus saving another sport at TCU from being cut/changed/made co-ed to meet Title 9 compliance rules. Unfair..I would say yes. If you go to the TCU sports/rifle web pages you can see men listed as All -American including David Tubb (a high power champ) back in the middle 70's. I shot NCAA in the middle 70's, on a co-ed team. So dont anyone dare say that co-ed rifle in the 70's did not exist. Rifle should be open to both sexes unless a single sex institution.

JeffinTX wrote:As a former collegiate SB rifle shooter and now a Fort Worth resident, I am so proud of the TCU womens rifle team...5 years ago they hadn't even made the NCAA finals before. What a strong showing and what a great job the team has done since the arrival of Coach Monez. Excellent individual and team shooting. Congrats to a great collegiate career to Erin Lorenzan and a great start to freshman Sarah Scherer, a Ft Worth native! TCU is now up there with AK-Fairbanks and WVU! Unfortunately none of this is even mentioned in our local newpaper.
GO FROGS.
jhmartin

Re: TCU "women" Rifle team

Post by jhmartin »

spg wrote:Unfair..I would say yes.
I don't understand the "unfair" comment. Many of these "womens only" teams would not exist if they did not "balance out" the school for Title IX compliance.

IF that is unfair, why is it not also unfair that any team that has an NCAA football/basketball/etc program, not be required to have a rifle team as well? What about NCAA Pistol, NCAA Shotgunning, NCAA Curling?
It's a matter of economics at each school. I don't think it has anything to do with anything related to fairness.

Good Job! to Karen Monez & her team. They are a GREAT group of young ladies and it is ALWAYS a pleasure to be around them.

Also Good Job! to Nebraska (also an all female team), Morgan Hicks is to be congratulated for her team as well. Another great group of gals.

As a matter of fact, all of the collegiate shooters I've come into contact with over the past few years are pleasant to be around. These shooters come into the collegiate sport, for the most part, with great skills, and then are further polished ... does not matter if it's a coed or women's only team .. they all have to continue to work hard.
JeffinTX

Post by JeffinTX »

SPG
I am well aware that DTubb was a frog. Did not imply that TCU did not have a coed team in the past. Having said that my post was to congratulate the fine job the current team has done. When I shot (in the 80'S) we didn't distinguish sex of the shooter only their scores to determine who was on the A vs. B team. I find it unfortunate as you do the the school did as they did to the male shooters. But if not for title 9 the whole riflery program may have gone away a few years ago when they weren't as competitive.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Jeff

There was a very short story concerning the results in the Sunday sports section of the Fort Worth Star Telegram. It was very well hidden amongst three stories or so with the by-line concerning only the first story and the others including the TCU NCAA Championships tacked on.

Today's Ft. Worth Star Telegram (20 Mar) has a much better 1/8 page story about TCU and the team. It is in the second section of the paper not the sports.

Come see us in the woods after this global warming snow melts on our first day of spring.

Jack