Finger touching trigger guard

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Finger touching trigger guard

Post by Guest »

Hi all

I shoot SB prone, using a Anschutz 2013 alu stock.
After several years of shooting, I have now finally found a position that feels really good, stabile and comfortable. So far so good, there is nothing there I want to change.

But - one little problem is my trigger finger. When it is relaxed and placed on the trigger, it also touches the bottom of the trigger guard. So when I squeeze the trigger (I’ve never used a distinct pull), the finger actually moves not only back, but also with a slight downward-movement.

I'm just curious to know what the results are of a trigger finger touching the trigger guard? In what way, and how much, does it affect the shot release and point of impact? Any special pattern to look for?

Some background: I “peaked” a year ago with a 600p at practice, and 594 was about average that season. Still I wasn’t happy with my position, it was kind of painful and “loose”. Now, when I’m happy with my position, I have to struggle to reach 590, and my average is 586 so far this season. But it feels good! I have checked all my equipment. The rifle shoots perfect when put in a vise. Also my eyes are OK. Nothing wrong there.

The only thing that bothers me is the trigger control. You see, I can´t really remember if I used to touch the trigger guard in my old position or not, that´s why I have started to think about this detail.

Of course this issue can be fixed with adjustments of my trigger, right arm and pistol grip etc, so I think I can work that part out in some way. But before I start to change anything, I just would like to hear the opinion from all of you experienced shooters: Can a small “touch” on the trigger guard really mess things up this bad?

Thanks

BGC
Barney

Post by Barney »

Just cut it off and make a new one slightly lower down or attach a little bit of flat bar on the pistol grip like the new pistol grips on the Precise stocks
ZD

Finger Touching trigger guard

Post by ZD »

Yes, your finger touching the trigger guard will absolutely hinder your performance. When I was at a shooting camp in Salem, OR, this was a problem highlighted by 2 of the national USA coaches.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The above couple of posts confirm what I suspect you already know. Yes touching the trigger guard is a bad thing. How bad, I couldn't say, but any interuption to a clean unhindered trigger pull is not gonna help you. I'd be inclined to think about cutting it off.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Great, thank you all, I´ll see what I can do to fix it.

BGC

Post by Guest »

Dont worry about it touching. If you arent jerking the crap out of the trigger it wont hurt it. besides with you touching it you know youre putting your hand and finger in the same Place everytime which is more important.

Shane
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:Dont worry about it touching. If you arent jerking the crap out of the trigger it wont hurt it. besides with you touching it you know youre putting your hand and finger in the same Place everytime which is more important.

Shane
I would advise you ignore the above, as he is wrong. 'Jerking the crap' as he eloquently put it would make it even worse, but any contact will negatively affect your performance.

Rob.
robf

Post by robf »

you should be able to place it in the same place every time anyway without having to use the guard as a reference... if not, it's something to practice, with an observer with a camera phone it could be something you could do quite often. Or you could set up a mirror or a video camera.

Post by Guest »

rob, I shoot with my finger on the trigger guard and I promise you I will beat you every day of the week. and i did not say to jerk it. in fact I said not to. but I bet you can quarterback a heck of a game come monday morning too.

Shane
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:rob, I shoot with my finger on the trigger guard and I promise you I will beat you every day of the week. and i did not say to jerk it. in fact I said not to. but I bet you can quarterback a heck of a game come monday morning too.

Shane
Shane,
Just because you do OK shooting with your finger on the trigger guard, doesn't make it the right thing to do. Ask any other coaches if they think it's a good idea and let me know what they say.

See above posters responses
Yes, your finger touching the trigger guard will absolutely hinder your performance. When I was at a shooting camp in Salem, OR, this was a problem highlighted by 2 of the national USA coaches.
But hey, feel free to do it your way, it's a free world.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

so by all means change something so it doesnt feel comfortable or relaxed just so your finger doesnt touch the trigger guard. you can also try the cookie cutter coaching approach, you know teach everyone the exact same way, because that works so well since everyone is built different etc. dude seriously dont start arguing coaching techniques with me. the guys finger touches the trigger guard. its not a big deal. thats where his finger feels comfortable and natural. im sure you would tell raymond debevec to change his trigger finger too, or maybe his kneeling position since his right knee doesnt touch the ground. it obviously doesnt work out for him, oh wait it does, hes won every championship there is to win. but by all means dont think outside the box and stick with the 50's coaching technique.

Shane

Post by Guest »

oh and by the way, i also have the usa national coaching credentials. have a nice day

Shane
Guest_66

Post by Guest_66 »

Shane
The finger touching the trigger guard was just a thing that disturbed my focus. It's that simple. Relax.

BGC
muldoon9

Guests

Post by muldoon9 »

I think it would be a CAPITAL idea if the anonymous
guests would register,
so we could know who the disembodied typist is.

Then we could fetch us a face , if need be.

Best Regards

Michael
robf

Post by robf »

Anonymous wrote:the guys finger touches the trigger guard. its not a big deal.
you dont know that any more than anyone else does, including the shooter.

all he can see is a drop in average, and something he feels is possibly pertinent.

he's saying it feels it could be a problem area, unless the US coaching ideology is dramatically different from the rest of the world coaches work on, the shooter needs assessing, there needs to be an agreement on what to work on (the trigger may or may not be the problem, but that doesn't preclude working on it) and a specific assessment of those agreed areas to enable a process goal needs to be made.

the solution is either to saw the bit off, or rebuild the stock and position to avoid contact with that point. I find myself asking (assuming a normal build) why someone is so far down the grip as to do that anyway... and perhaps would be looking at that first.

either way though requires action that is either irreversible or may introduce other problems.

but doing it blind over a forum can't be done and what is or isn't happening can't be said. What can be said is that most people will either not be doing it, or looking to avoid doing it... and there will be a few exceptions that break the norm but they should know why that is if they're shooting at a high level.
M3taal

Post by M3taal »

Im experiencing the same problem. 1 fellow shooter in my club is a CNC cutter so ill ask him to cut me a new trigger guard. He did the same for my butt-hook. Really handy to know someone like that :)