Tau 7

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
robinhoods

Tau 7

Post by robinhoods »

OK I had the Pardini K58 and liked it and I just traded it for a mint FWB 80.
I didn't even get it yet. I know from an SSP to a Springer where the K58 hardly varied in velocity between shots. It was deadly from a bench rest.
I was thinking also about a Tau 7 also,anybody have one?
The only thing I don't like about it is that I would go through powerlets like mad and the cost can add up.
Just wondering if they are worth it.
They look neat as heck and the velocity is adjustable and I think you can get the Silhouette in .22. I am only experimenting right now but in the end I will get the High end steyr or the Pardini or even the Benelli.
any comments would be appreciated.
Also there are so many versions of the Tau pistol.
David F
peterz

Tau 7

Post by peterz »

I had an end-of-run Tau-7 "junior" and didn't like it at all. It was much too light and the grip didn't work for me. Did not seem worth while putting match grips on it.

The trigger, once adjusted is pretty decent, but adjusting it takes a bit of skill. The workmanship is fairly crude. But in terms of gun/US$, the ratio is pretty favorable if it gets along with your hand and your style of shooting.

You do know it's been discontinued for a couple of years?

-pete
robinhoods

tau 7

Post by robinhoods »

yes,I know it's been discontinued.
I might as well stick with the FWB 80 for awhile before I go to the PCP pistol
Thanks- now I don't have to think about the tau anymore. If I do buy another pistol with a spring it will most likely be the FWB 100 or the 130.
David F
Good shooting
joker

Post by joker »

I have a Tau 7 standard 177 and have put about 7000 pellets through it in 5 months. I think it is a great pistol set to 450 fps I get about 110 shots from a 12 gram CO2 cartridge. It is as accurate as my LP2 although nowhere as refined in construction. The trigger is excellent and can be adjusted for 1st stage travel and 2nd stage weight as well as trigger blade reach and angle. I thoroughly recommend it - watch out for rust in barrel bore if the pistol has been lying around without being oiled. Biggest downer is it not having a dry fire setting - you can get around this by making a gadget to block the hammer hitting the valve but it is a real pain.
Last edited by joker on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterz

I wish...

Post by peterz »

I wish I could deal in APs as frequently as you seem to do. I have a 16 year old FWB C-20 (CO2) and a Czech Lov-21 "toy" springer (all plastic with a miserable trigger and sights) I bought in Prague as a souvenir back around 1996. I am getting either an Izzy or a used FWB-65 to have a supply-independent gun.

Let's face it, any of the guns you've mentioned is a good pistol to learn on; all of them are good enough that when you miss you have to blame yourself and not the gun. I would be delighted to add a Model 80 FWB to my stable instead of the IZZY or even the 65. Those guns are classics and in their day took almost every gold medal on offer.

-pz
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I have the tau-7 sport. I am by no means an expert on the taus, but I like mine. Off hand I am shooting it as well as any other pistol. I have shot a few 49s with it and a 50 can't be fare a way (5 shots on a 10m ap target). For me its ergonomics are superb, particularly with the balancing weight attached.

As for caplets, I get them at walmart. I don't remember the last time I bought them, I tend to buy large quantities. I think if you shop around you can find them for < .50 cents each.

But you can also bulk fill the tau very cheaply for pennies.

I think Tau-brno also has some pcp pistols, the tau-8, but i've not seen anyone review them here yet.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

At the time that I bought mine, it was a real bargain. I think I paid ~ $200 for it. I thought enough of it that I bought one several years later for my wife. That was the "match" version, and was ~ $300.

They are both quite accurate from a rest, and for occasional use, the CO2 cartridges are very convenient. The grips are OK, and the trigger isn't too bad. I have a Morini & a Steyr LP50, so the Tau-7's mostly get used for teaching new shooters & my daughter now uses my wife's.

I think it's a real shame that they are no longer made. They were an excellent entry-level pistol for someone just getting into the sport. Especially before the prices started inching up. The MIT pistol team had a number of them, and used them with great success, including a couple national collegiate championships.

They do have a few quirks. You can't just pop in a fresh cylinder & re-use the same cap. You have to let the CO2 dissolved in the O-ring seep out, or the swollen ring will get chewed up. They give you two caps so you can alternate, but plenty of folks don't read the fine print & shred a lot of O-rings. The latch on the action can be a little tight until it wears in, and if you don't make sure it's latched down, it can fly open & toss the O-rings out. (Hint: get plenty of spare O-rings).
zoned

Re: Tau 7

Post by zoned »

robinhoods wrote:...I was thinking also about a Tau 7...
From my experience, I'd recommend an FAS 604 over a Tau. It has the accuracy and is much better quality, but without all the hassle.

http://tinyurl.com/yznx2xd
CharlesC

Post by CharlesC »

I have an end of the production run Tau 7 Junior and love it. It's as accurate as my IZZY was and a lot more fun to shoot. I did have problems with it's accuracy when I first got it but I did what I call "Deep Cleaning" of the barrel. I won't say what that was 'cause some of you would go nuts but it now puts 5 RWS Miesterkugeln rifle pellets in one hole from a rest at 10 meters. Its my wife's air pistol of choice for 10 meter shooting.
robinhoods

Tau 7

Post by robinhoods »

I think topgun airgun still sells them or at least i thought they did.
I will have to check with them.
j-team

Post by j-team »

I would have stuck with the K58 if I was you.

All the other pistols you have mentioned are a step backwards in my opinion (including the FWB 80).
yana

Post by yana »

I have several Tau 7's and love them to bits! I actually prefer them over my morini 162 and steyr LP5 and aeron spider! Because I just shoot most consistant with them. They easily shoot around the 360's. And thats with mé, I'm not a topshot..They can do much better.
I owned a Sport, now I have the Match and .177 Silhouet.
The Silhouet is a doddle to shoot accurately. At 10m, ragged hole of 10shots without any problems..Even if I'm not really concentrated..Almost looks like I can shoot!;)
Rested, they wíll achieve very good accuracy. Clamped they should do 3mm ctc (match and silhouet) and I believe they will, as I can get about 6mm from 7 shots rested.
The Standard version has a less trigger and more boring wood. I'd advise minimal the Sport version. The match and silhouet have selected barrels (hence 3mm instead of the Sports 5mm) and laminated grips.
Triggers are very good, he Silhouettes actually is too light at the mo.
They're easy to service too.
Only downside is, you have to take good care of them, they rust very easily!
Dunno the FAS, they're illegal here.

Post by Guest »

Yana
why is the FAS 604 air pistol illegal in NL? I Know you have some laws about replica guns, but the FAS is a match pistol.
Best regards
Robin
zoned

Post by zoned »

Anonymous wrote:... the FAS is a match pistol...
... and a fine trainer if you also shoot standard pistol.

yana

Post by yana »

Zoned, thats exactly why its forbidden! It resembles a .22 matchpistol too closely..Replica's also involve firearm matchpistols.
The HW40/45 airpistols are forbidden as well.
Even many police dept are of opinion that some sidelever match SSP's are forbidden like the airmatch 600 etc.Except for the FWB65 series.
You have to be really carefull here, even when buying match AP.

Post by Guest »

yana wrote:Zoned, thats exactly why its forbidden! It resembles a .22 matchpistol too closely.....
Fear and ignorance rule a paranoid society.
robinhoods

Re: I wish...

Post by robinhoods »

I know-the K58 is beautiful but I traded for a mint model 80.
I will keep this and the FWB 300s but if I can control my spending and wait for a FWB 103 I will get it.
David F
goodluck and goodshooting

peterz wrote:I wish I could deal in APs as frequently as you seem to do. I have a 16 year old FWB C-20 (CO2) and a Czech Lov-21 "toy" springer (all plastic with a miserable trigger and sights) I bought in Prague as a souvenir back around 1996. I am getting either an Izzy or a used FWB-65 to have a supply-independent gun.

Let's face it, any of the guns you've mentioned is a good pistol to learn on; all of them are good enough that when you miss you have to blame yourself and not the gun. I would be delighted to add a Model 80 FWB to my stable instead of the IZZY or even the 65. Those guns are classics and in their day took almost every gold medal on offer.

-pz