FWB MODEL 80 RESULTS.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
adds033

FWB MODEL 80 RESULTS.

Post by adds033 »

Hi all, does anyone still shoot the FWB model 80?? Or am i the only silly one?? All jokes aside the best i have shot with this pistol is 525/600. I think it has heaps more left in it, i know it is my bad shots that are killing my scores!! The pistol has an extreme spread of 30fps also, time for a seal kit?? Whats results have others had with their model 80's? Gunna try and squeeze 550 out the FWB before i treat myself to a steyr LP2!
Any info would be gr8!!

Re: FWB MODEL 80 RESULTS.

Post by Guest »

adds033 wrote: Whats results have others had with their model 80's? Any info would be gr8!!
I can remember something like 557/600, made only once, many years ago, but adding maximum weight (pistol weight was something below 1500 grams).
Rover

Post by Rover »

In spite of the current lust for CA guns, the old FWBs (65, 80, and 90) are just as accurate. In the hands of a GOOD shooter they will still win most matches just as they were able to win Olympic medals.

Before I got old and blind I was sometimes able to shoot in the mid-570s with one.

A rebuild probably won't hurt anything (the springs get tired) and you might give some thought to tweaking your grips.

If I found one cheap I would pick it up just for the fun of it and I often recommend them to new shooters or plinkers who don't care to drop $2500 for a new gun.
RobinC

FWB

Post by RobinC »

When they were new, and they will shoot just as well now, all the world records men and ladies were held with them. It was 40 shot then but both records were in the 390's, Nina Stolyarova 391, I think, so the ladies event which is still 40 shot is only a couple of points higher now with modern PCP's.
I can remember seeing scores at non championship events in the late 70's early 80's of 395 so I think you have a way to go with one yet!
Best of luck, keep trying.
Best regards
Robin
adds033

Re: FWB

Post by adds033 »

RobinC wrote:When they were new, and they will shoot just as well now, all the world records men and ladies were held with them. It was 40 shot then but both records were in the 390's, Nina Stolyarova 391, I think, so the ladies event which is still 40 shot is only a couple of points higher now with modern PCP's.
I can remember seeing scores at non championship events in the late 70's early 80's of 395 so I think you have a way to go with one yet!
Best regards
Robin
Thanks for the ecouragement Robin!! I am training fairly hard at the moment after a spell, so hopefully my scores will reflect my efforts!!!
adds033

Re: FWB

Post by adds033 »

RobinC wrote:When they were new, and they will shoot just as well now, all the world records men and ladies were held with them. It was 40 shot then but both records were in the 390's, Nina Stolyarova 391, I think, so the ladies event which is still 40 shot is only a couple of points higher now with modern PCP's.
Best regards
Robin

Hi Robin are you shooting a Steyr LP2?
If so whats it like? I Thinking of gettin one. (the standard length one)
I like the LP10 but prefer the free barrel design of the LP2.
TwoLegPete

Post by TwoLegPete »

Rover wrote:In spite of the current lust for CA guns, the old FWBs (65, 80, and 90) are just as accurate.
I disagree. I have shot a couple of LP65 (including my own) and they're far from a LP100 or modern pre-charged pneumatic air pistols. The trigger of the LP65 is just not up to par with modern APs. Also, the LP65 has quite a bit of recoil, which makes a proper follow-through difficult. I also think that the standard grips on most modern APs are better than the standard LP65 grip (and I'm not talking about the old plastic grip)
Rover wrote:In the hands of a GOOD shooter they will still win most matches just as they were able to win Olympic medals.
A good shooter might be able to compensate the shortcomings of a LP65 (trigger, recoil) to a certain degree. A good shooter shooting left-handed and blind-folded with a LP65 would probably beat me with a LP10. But that's not the point. I'd bet my ass that any shooter will shoot significantly better with a modern PCP air pistol than with a LP65

PS: nevertheless, the LP65 is a nice pistol for what it is, and I would never sell mine.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Copied from the Archives:

Posted by Andre on August 06, 2000 at 00:17:36:
"Hi! I had the same doubt about a month ago and posted a question just like it. I got a great answer from Warren Potter! Check it out!I started out on a FWB 80 (it's just like the 65, but with an adjustable trigger), and I currently shoot a FWB model 2, a CO2 powered gun. Getting a new gun gives you more incentive to practice(it's fun to play with new toys), but don't expect an immediate rise in your scores. If you can afford it, I think you should get the best equipment possible. But remember, it hurts more to be hammered by an old timer with a FWB 65 if you're shooting a $1000 gun! And that a FWB 65 or a Model 2 is well capable of 570+ scores in the hands of a master."

MORE:

http://www.pilkguns.com/arch/arch034.htm
TwoLegPete

Post by TwoLegPete »

Rover wrote:Getting a new gun gives you more incentive to practice(it's fun to play with new toys)...
true. It's motivating and it boosts your confidence...
Rover wrote:...but don't expect an immediate rise in your scores.
when I switched from LP65 to LP100, my scores went up from 320/400 to 340/400 (I've only been shooting for a couple of months, then). To me, as a beginner, the LP100 was just easier to control. It gave me more 10s and 9s and significantly fewer outliers
Rover wrote:If you can afford it, I think you should get the best equipment possible
I agree with that in some sort of way... I could have afforded a FWB P44, but I decided against it, as there would be no room left for improvement, technologically. I will treat myself to a top-of-the-line gun once I consistently shoot over 360/400.
Rover wrote:And that a FWB 65 or a Model 2 is well capable of 570+ scores in the hands of a master.
the key phrase is "in the hands of a master"
Great post by Don Nygord, thanks for posting it. I've read all his "Nygord's Notes" and learned a lot. The main point regarding spring-loaded vs CO2 vs PCP in my view is, as Nygord puts it, "it was so much EASIER to shoot them with equal results". Or if you turn it the other way round: it's much easier to shoot good scores with a recent model than with a LP65...