Finally a glimpse of hope

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
1008mod

Finally a glimpse of hope

Post by 1008mod »

Yesterday I finally got a peak of my Steyr LP 10 at the postal customs. They took a month to process my package and they are still harassing me because match pistols are duty free. Even though I showed them my registered shooter's id card, they still want a letter from the NRAI saying that I am a registered shooter. Guess who issued the ID card...the NRAI. Anyway that's just how these sumnabaitches are in my country. I loved how beautiful the LP 10 is and seemed worth every one of the 1080Euro it cost me. I got the shiny silver one and would love playing the Lone Ranger with it. But it is still not in my hands yet. :-(

1008mod
Peter Skov

Re: Finally a glimpse of hope

Post by Peter Skov »

1008mod wrote:....
Anyway that's just how these sumnabaitches are in my country.
1008mod
What country is that?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

India. The complainer was too stingy to bribe these poor civil servants (only joking... but you know how it is).
1008mod

stingy eh?

Post by 1008mod »

I am trying to follow the rules. I have bribed people before but as a sportman it hurts one's ethics to go outside the rules. It wouldn't have mattered to me to bribe the guys but I was so irritated with them that I decided to play by the rules. I shall also be complaining to the Ministry of Sports and the NRAI about this. Believe me following the right path hurts but I plan to clear the way for the ones struggling to import match weapons. Off my soap box now. :-)

1008 mod
p.s.
The humour rides a little thin when you have no idea what a struggle it is.
Alexander

Re: stingy eh?

Post by Alexander »

1008mod wrote:The humour rides a little thin when you have no idea what a struggle it is.
I have. Kenya. Daily life. Close friend working for the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission. Ball in your court.
Peter Skov

Post by Peter Skov »

We don't have corruption (that I know of) in Denmark, but I can assume it must be a real pain.

Good luck.

Best regard

Peter
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Peter Skov wrote:We don't have corruption (that I know of) in Denmark, but I can assume it must be a real pain.
*SIGH* Yes, yes. Go on, gloat ! Gloat ! - and make everybody else envious:

http://www.ambtallinn.um.dk/en/menu/The ... eWorld.htm

Alexander
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Glad I'm in Australia
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Glad I'm in the US
Oz

Post by Oz »

It's interesting to me *and foreign* to consider that bribing public officials in some capacity might be considered part of a process. I'm sure there are bribes going on here in the US... it seems to me it's just reserved for high-ranking politicians and lawyers in closed-door discussions of which we usually hear very little.

Although... I do offer to take my prospective business parters to lunch and have spent a lot on those lunches on occasion...

Oz
FredB

Post by FredB »

Oz wrote:It's interesting to me *and foreign* to consider that bribing public officials in some capacity might be considered part of a process. I'm sure there are bribes going on here in the US... it seems to me it's just reserved for high-ranking politicians and lawyers in closed-door discussions of which we usually hear very little.

Yes, we do things differently in the USA. Petty bribery by individuals is a criminal offense, but massive bribery of elected officials by corporations and their lobbyist representatives has been the "American way" for many years. It's anything but "foreign".

FredB
1008mod

palm sunday

Post by 1008mod »

That is what is so bugging. If it was one top dog whom you made a deal with it was fine. Greasing your way up the whole ladder gets very tiring. Once I got a cousin to bring me a Crosman 1008 pistol. Again nothing banning it but just to be safe I talked to someone in customs. A bottle of johnny walker black label and a bottle of perfume tied the deal. I could walk in till where the passengers picked up their luggage, point my cousin out and then walk out with the goods. But it is just getting very irritating now specially when the Ministry of sports is trying to encourage shooters. Let's see what happens today, I have my paper work ready. I have a national level match on the 28th, I wish that I have the pistol for it.

Regards,

1008mod
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I hope it works out the honest way, 1008Mod.
Good luck in the match!
Ben
1008mod

Honest way

Post by 1008mod »

Freepistol wrote:I hope it works out the honest way, 1008Mod.
Good luck in the match!
Ben
Hi Ben,

Got the pistol released the hard way, with honesty and no greasing of palms.
The customs guy guizzed me again and again on the no duty part and i kept explaining things politely to him. Then we went to the commissioner who relented the moment he saw the letter from the state rifle association. Looks like we climbed one notch higher on the anti-corruption scale.
Now its up to the postal department to deliver, may take a week though.
Thank you for your warm wishes.

1008mod
Finprof

Good deal

Post by Finprof »

Even with the bottle of scotch and perfume included, it looks like you got a good deal. Your price of 1080 Euro translates to $US 1474 at the current exchange rate. I would jump at one at that price.
jipe

Re: Good deal

Post by jipe »

Finprof wrote:Even with the bottle of scotch and perfume included, it looks like you got a good deal. Your price of 1080 Euro translates to $US 1474 at the current exchange rate. I would jump at one at that price.
Seems to me a nromal street price: since 1008mod gave a price in Euro, I guess he bought it from some european country most probably Germany (that's the best place to buy AP and AR, lot of dealers, many online shops and cheap prices, usually cheaper than in any other EU country)..

When you buy something in the EU and export it outside EU, you do not pay the VAT. 1080 Euros ex VAT is a normal street price for an LP10 in Germany.

Of course you need to add shipment and import taxes but it seems that in India, you do not need to pay any import taxes for an AP... if you are patient !?

Re: Good deal

Post by Guest »

jipe wrote:
Finprof wrote:Even with the bottle of scotch and perfume included, it looks like you got a good deal. Your price of 1080 Euro translates to $US 1474 at the current exchange rate. I would jump at one at that price.
Seems to me a nromal street price: since 1008mod gave a price in Euro, I guess he bought it from some european country most probably Germany (that's the best place to buy AP and AR, lot of dealers, many online shops and cheap prices, usually cheaper than in any other EU country)..

When you buy something in the EU and export it outside EU, you do not pay the VAT. 1080 Euros ex VAT is a normal street price for an LP10 in Germany.

Of course you need to add shipment and import taxes but it seems that in India, you do not need to pay any import taxes for an AP... if you are patient !?
I got in touch with Steyr in Austria via email. They made the offer of 1080 Euro along with the shipping. I costs a lot more in the USA, though I normally prefer to buy my stuff from The USA.
The rules are that if you are a shooter registered with any district, state or any other club affiliated to the NRAI, then the air gun is duty free. The patience comes in while dealing with the customs who want to ensure that somehow you pay duty. They feel that the exchequer is losing revenue even though the order is from their own director general.
Ah well, I have my beuty with me and now let the games begin. :-)
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Alexander wrote:
Peter Skov wrote:We don't have corruption (that I know of) in Denmark, but I can assume it must be a real pain.
*SIGH* Yes, yes. Go on, gloat ! Gloat ! - and make everybody else envious:

http://www.ambtallinn.um.dk/en/menu/The ... eWorld.htm

Alexander
Ahem...(cough cough) I do believe we have (just) pipped Denmark at the post in a photo-finish...

http://www.transparency.org/policy_rese ... 2009_table