525 FPS - Damage from Air Rifles & Pistols

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Oz

525 FPS - Damage from Air Rifles & Pistols

Post by Oz »

I was curious... has anyone seen, first hand, any accidents (or maybe just examples of poor judgement) which resulted in some part of the human anatomy getting hit by a wad cutter pellet from either a rifle or a pistol? I'm using 525 since that's pretty much a standard for many of the CA pistols. I'd be curious about anything from an SSP or similar ~400 fps...

I'm sure everyone that shoots in the air discipline has been asked what kind of damage those pellets can do. In my observance of stories, I've heard everything from: a welt, maybe break the skin; to penetrating a human skull ;-)

Yeah, I don't believe the skull story either.

Oz
kevinweiho

Damage from an airpistol 525 fps...

Post by kevinweiho »

Penetrating a human skull is not possible with a wad cutter pellet as it
will penetrate and mushroom when it makes impact.

However, it will leave you with a serious welt and probably a fracture!

Kevin

Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've killed rabbits with my air pistol. Quite deadly, too.
BPBrinson

Piercing?

Post by BPBrinson »

Was told ( sorry, third hand) of a kid from the same school as someone in my program, attempted to pierce thier earlobe with an unknown type of pellet and airgun. It did not make it through ( at least straight through). Caused a severe rip that took several stitches to close up.

Brooks
zoned

Post by zoned »

I cannot locate the news story to back this up, so you will have to take my word on it. A wad cutter pellet from an air pistol, I assume moving a minimum of 400+fps, can penetrate the thin temple at close range. Regarding flesh wounds, some demented dipstick in the area was shooting cats with an air pistol a few years back and they penetrated deep enough to require surgery to remove them. Even though the kinetic energy is low and there is no fire and smoke, 525fps does enough damage to a pellet against a steel plate that it should not be taken lightly.
Richard H

Re: Piercing?

Post by Richard H »

BPBrinson wrote:Was told ( sorry, third hand) of a kid from the same school as someone in my program, attempted to pierce thier earlobe with an unknown type of pellet and airgun. It did not make it through ( at least straight through). Caused a severe rip that took several stitches to close up.

Brooks
Future Darwin Award winner no doubt.
kevinweiho

RE: piercing power...

Post by kevinweiho »

I call that 'poor man's' ear piercing!

No wonder kids shouldn't be allowed
to handle airguns without adult supervision...

Kevin
Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

400fps will embed a pellet up to the skirt in an index finger (No! Not mine!)

although infrequent, I have seen 'embedded pellet syndrome' more than once over the years.