Bringing Steyr air pistols into Canada from US?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Bringing Steyr air pistols into Canada from US?

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know if a Steyr LP1 or LP2 could be brought into Canada? Steyr doesn't seem to advertise velocity specs so I don't know if they are under 500fps and legal to bring across the border.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

My LP2 shoots 525 fps.

You can turn them down to whatever you need though.
william

Post by william »

Canadian law doesn't care if you can turn it down so long as it can be turned back up. Download the pdf file of Form 909 from the RCMP web site. Fill it out and submit it by mail or fax (I don't know whether email is OK) to the Chief Firearms Officer in the province where you will be crossing the border.

The CFO will send you your Authorization To Transport. Declare it at the border; and present ATT, form 909 and your pistol to Customs. Pay them $25, and Bob's your uncle.

While in Canada your pistol must be locked in its case, and I believe a trigger lock is also required.

And don't try to fake it. Steyr is definitely on the restricted list (over 500 fps).
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

William,

You did a great job answering it.

I just want to confirm you will need a trigger lock and locked case when traveling in Canada.

Brian
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Steyr is actually on both lists. If t was purchased in Canada and has the documentation with it certifying it's under 500 you're ok. All you have to do is what William stated, it's pretty quick and simple.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

So if you have a US purchased Styer it is illegal in Canada.

I thought the velocity screw was right there on the back of the frame on all LP series guns.

On the off chance that I would shoot up there, would I have to borrow a gun and just bring my grip?
william

Post by william »

See my previous reply. A US Steyr is legal in Canada, but restricted. It's no big honk bringing it in; just follow the simple instructions.

While at the CAGP I heard that the Canadian importer locks the velocity adjustment screw so that they can't exceed the 500fps. Assuming it doesn't hurt accuracy - and there's no reason to believe it does - Canadian shooters get a bonus of perhaps 10-20 extra shots per fill.

By the way, my very informal observation there was that Morini 162 is the hot item, followed somewhat closely by Steyr, far off on the horizon were the few FWB, Hammerli, Pardini, Matchgun, Izh46, and my solitary SAM M10. If I missed anybody's pet pistol, I'm sorry. I was there to shoot not to chronicle.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

William - just to fill out your observations... There were also a couple of Matchguns MG1's on the line as well, one mechanical trigger version, one electronic.

Glad to see you made it to the CAGP and hope you had an enjoyable time.
ronpistolero

steyr in Canada

Post by ronpistolero »

Being one who believes that velocity is critical to an air gun's accuracy, wouldn't a 500fps limit be a detriment to Canadian shooters? Can there not be a move to request that, being target pistols used for serious competitions, that such velocity may be increased to, say, a max of 560fps? I mean, what's another 60 fps if it was meant not to be dangerous? Just asking.

Ron
Bruce Martindale

Post by Bruce Martindale »

Ron,

For what its worth, they could have accepted the European standard for low energy guns, the F pentagram on your frame, but that isn't where they wanted to go. The 500 fps rule was "ok" and they couldnt tell at the border and I tested mine to assure that but when they named makes and models, that did it.

They even had the 360 fps spring air FWB as restricted. Gimme a break.

I would like to see all that nonsense go away.

best regards
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Bruce it's not really as simple as that, if you question them most of the pistols are also on the non restricted list too. There is a Joule rating as well 6.5 I think.