CCI SV

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

paulo

CCI SV

Post by paulo »

Recently got some CCI SV, what a bad surprise the new stuff is, tried it on Semi and Free pistol and the results are not good compairing to the old CCI SV.
You can distinguish the new ones by looking at the print of the logo on the boxes, the new boxes have the red logo in bold letters when compared to the old ammo.
Anybody using the new ammo care to comment?!
bobshay

cci 22 standard vel

Post by bobshay »

looking for some also considering aguila match pistol cant believe ammo is still so hard to find thanks for info
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

I really can't notice much performance difference at all between the old paper box, the new paper box or the plastic box versions. They all seem to shoot pretty much the same out of my Model 41.
clark2245

Re: CCI SV

Post by clark2245 »

One note is to be sure you have the true CCI made ammo. I confirmed with CCI that all the plastic box is made in their plant but some of the paper box is made by Federal. Most reports are the Federal made stuff is not as good. The way to tell the difference is the real CCI paper box ammo will have a clear bullet tray with no legs. The Federal has a white bullet tray with legs.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Thanks for the info, the new ones are paper box, and the clear plastic tray has no legs.
The printed logo on the paper box is in bolder letters compared to older lots.
I am going to run it through all my guns, but I can tell it made a real huge difference on TOZ.
Makarov

Post by Makarov »

CCI SV ammo is not as good as used to be.
I have purchased 5 bricks (2500 rds) and shot them through IZH35M, AW93 and TOZ35.
Scores are pure bad compare to even cheaper WalMart bulk Federal 550 and Winchester 333 ammo.
Would not buy again.
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Additionally you can tell who manufactured the ammo by the lot number. If the ammo was put together by Federal the lot number will begin with a number. If it was put together by CCI then the lot number will begin with a letter.
paulo

Post by paulo »

At least I am on the same boat as Makarov, same guns as well, just a coincidence.
I shot tonight and the IZH was tolerating the new stuff, but the grouping was not that great. The AW93 and TOZ just don't like it.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

We have CCI SV here with a product number of 50035 / catalogue number of 0035. Apparently there is another type of SV with 0032, but that is said to be not quite as good. Anybody know the difference? I'm VERY happy with the 0035 lot, but that does not seem to be regularly imported to Switzerland.
Guest22

CCI SV

Post by Guest22 »

The problem I encountered with the batch of CCI .22 LR is that the length of the cartridge is well over the standard (.985) and very irregular. Some cartridges will measure .990 while others are well over an inch. They are very accurate though. The trouble is that the longer ones will not move free enough through the magazine of my Tesro.
The batch I have is in cardboard with just a plastic tray to hold the rounds.
My solution is to sort them out and shoot the longer ones in my 280. But it is a mess.
Good shooting
Guy
clark2245

Post by clark2245 »

Tycho wrote:We have CCI SV here with a product number of 50035 / catalogue number of 0035. Apparently there is another type of SV with 0032, but that is said to be not quite as good. Anybody know the difference? I'm VERY happy with the 0035 lot, but that does not seem to be regularly imported to Switzerland.
The 035 part number is used with the 50 round paper boxes while the 032 number is used with the 100 round plastic boxes. The ammo actually made by CCI, how to tell discussed above, comes off the same line so there shouldn't really be any difference. Several years ago the story was the paper boxes were for export while the plastic boxes were sold in the US but we are now seeing more of the paper boxes here as well.

Clark
paulo

Post by paulo »

I will be testing again today on all the guns, it could be me.
Here is the difference between the old and new boxes.
The bullets on close eye inspection look the same.
We always like to blame something for our bad shooting. I hope this is not the case.
Attachments
CCI SV Boxes
CCI SV Boxes
CCI-SV-boxes.gif (31.9 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
Makarov

Post by Makarov »

Here's target I've shot with CCI SV yesterday.
4 shots out of ten are far away from 6 shots hole.
I use TOZ35 from 50" distance.
WalMart cheap bulk 550 federal or winchester 333 ammo performs better.
I've had no problem with CCI SV before.
Attachments
target.JPG
paulo

Post by paulo »

Do you mean 50 inches or 50 feet.
I was getting 5-7 rings difference in all directions at 25yards, with a B-35 target, it was ugly.
Here is a sand bag attempt to clarify my question at 25 yards, unfortunately I don't have a vice rest, but I think the TOZ sees a difference on the ammo:
Attachments
CCI SV test on a TOZ
CCI SV test on a TOZ