Extending the sight radius on a 1907 - Easy fix?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Leo

Extending the sight radius on a 1907 - Easy fix?

Post by Leo »

Looking for suggestions, or commercial applications that would allow a barrel extention to be fixed to my standard 1907 barrel... is this possible? I shot in a match yesterday, and everyone on the line had extensions - mostly of free rifles or custom rifles... for cost reasons I'd like to stay with my current set-up... any ideas? Regards, Leo
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Scott Medesha of Medesha Firearms can mill the adapter to whatever barrel you have.
http://www.medeshafirearms.com/
Suggest calling him rather than emailing.
I've had him do a few tubes for a variety of our rifles.
Leo

Looks promising, I'll give them a call on Monday... thanks!

Post by Leo »

For reference at what point does the length become excessive - 4/8/12 inches... is there any agreement in the shooting circles on what an "adjustested" sight radius is most accurate? Thanks again.
Jason

Re: Looks promising, I'll give them a call on Monday... than

Post by Jason »

Leo wrote:For reference at what point does the length become excessive - 4/8/12 inches... is there any agreement in the shooting circles on what an "adjustested" sight radius is most accurate? Thanks again.
If you look at pictures of the WC finals on the ISSF website you'll see some truly ginormous tubes. But make sure you try all the aperture sizes and filters that you can before deciding to buy a tube.

This is one of those times when one size definitely doesn't fit all. You really need to experiment to find out what works best for you -- making sure that you track all changes and outcomes in your shooting diary -- and you might not even need a bloop tube at all.

Jason
KingKenji

Me too

Post by KingKenji »

Hi,

I was thinking of extending my sight radius on my 1907, did you do yours yet? I was wondering what feedback you have on ur expierence with it.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Not yet -- looking to get a measurement -- not sure how to bring a rifle into a machine shop and not have the police called (even hear in MI) -- I shoot on Sunday and will discuss with the guys... thinking 10" -- send me a PM -- I grew up in Oshawa, and travel to Toronto regularly... wife visiting inlaws... me shooting in Toronto... priceless. :)
yana

Post by yana »

Lots of sight extensions for sale in match shops.
Shouldnt be a problem for yrs.
Schiessport Stelljes in germany has them, Klingner in germany, and probably US matchshops too.
Leo

Anschutz "Hammer Head"???

Post by Leo »

Today the local coach offered a sight extension base for my front sight "hammer head" (?) apparently not made any longer it provides 15 cm of extension -- any body have any experience with this piece of kit made by Anschutz? (btw -- thank god for great people like Mike in Jackson that will work with new shooters... "thanks Mike") :)
Barney

Post by Barney »

Grunig and Elmiger make the hammer shark.

Anschutz just get there logo put on to it and sell it as a Ahg product.

Infact Anschutz seem to do this with a lot of there products.

I shot with one for about 2 to 3 yrs and it was good, gave me the six inch sightline extension I needed, was lighter than a bloop tube and didn't affect the harmonic's of my barrel, groups were the same with or without it.

Barney
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

If you are shooting at 50m and longer, you should be careful. Weight on the end of the barrel will change its harmonics and probably change the way it shoots. Maybe better; maybe worse.