Addicted to air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
wolfpengap

Addicted to air pistol

Post by wolfpengap »

I started out on air pistol just to use it as a training device for the ‘real target shooting’ and have become hooked. Sure it has helped me with ‘real shooting’(sarcasm) but in reality gives me an incredible amount of individual satisfaction. I am tracking my scores, training, able to call my shots almost all the time with in a margin of error. Shooting Air Pistol gives me a Zen like moment that only archery matches.

Not knowing if I would really like this toy shooting stuff(kidding guys) I bought and IZH and it is giving me a taste for more. Yes, I will buy another pistol soon, either my friends Steyr or a Morinni from Pilkington, even if I only keep it in the basement. I need to make some milestones say consistently at 90 percent before I reward myself.

But here is the question. I want to get out of the basement. Yes , to shoot with friends/competitors and be able to judge how well I can perform in real settings. I have no realistic aspirations of shooting in the Olympics but would like to walk up to the line and shoot against others. To block out the distractions and nerves and see how well I can perform.
Soo here I am in the USA, Atlanta Georgia more specifically, and I am trying to locate opportunities to compete. I will be happy to find opportunities close(Fort Benning or if I need to travel will be able to do that also). It seems that everything associated with Air Pistol is for Juniors and while I may be young a t heart – I will miss that age group by more than a few decades.

There is OLE MILL I hear that has shooting available for a few lines at their location that is an hour and a half south of me. – my first option. After that competition seems kind of nonexistent. Or maybe I am just do not know where to look. I checked CMP which again has that term Junior on everything that is Air.

Does anyone on this forum have any suggestions? A Website, A phone number. Are there any other Atlanta shooters on this forum besides me an TN.

Gary
paulo

Post by paulo »

NRA posts upcoming shoots in all classes, USA Shooting also has a competition page on their site.
I started one year ago and thought that joining a club was the first step, but my club is more of a social and archery club. If you join a club don't make it until you find one that has regular competitions of interest to you going on.
Most competitions are open events so once you find one advertised and contact the organizers you will more often than not be able to shoot.
Most matches will require NRA membership or USA Shooting membership.
The best investment I made was to enter a competition, and use that moment to gather information about leagues and regular competitions in my area.
There is nothing like competition, and your scores will drop compared to what you can do at home, at least mine still do, but I am improving and learning to adjust to so many different locations, lighting, temperatures, individuals, and the front sights don't shake all over anymore. Well sometimes on the first target they still do.
Learn to manage your time well in competition, 17.5 minutes per four bulls gives you enough time to get all that excess adrenaline out of your system, in case it raises.
Good Luck.

http://www.usashooting.com/clubMap.php
http://www.usashooting.com/calendar.php
http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx
Last edited by paulo on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oz

Post by Oz »

AP *is* addicting. I compare it to golf... without the bit of exercise ;-)

Seriously... it's only in golf and AP where you'll execute poorly 10 times, yell at yourself for stinking... then; the perfect swing or trigger release and the ball/pellet goes exactly where you wanted it to go. Ahhhh that feeling is SO nice.

THEN you say to yourself; I did it once, I can do that again! It's easy. And then, as you do it more, your scores keep getting better and better.

The next step for you is certainly going to be the social aspects of shooting with others. If you're competitive, that's where the real fun starts. Just like golf.

Oz
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

I wholeheartedly agree that AP can be totally addictive. It's quiet and can often be done in your home ( if you have a 10 metre sized basement area). After the initial outlay your upkeep is low, and if you want more exercise get a pump to refill cylinders. Targets are relatively inexpensive, though I use Kruegers because the paper is better and a shot hole is a hole not a tear. However, the need to compete and meet with other shooters is something that every shooter needs. Looking for a club in your area could be enhanced by using either USA or NRA (or both IMHO) to help you locate a club. However, not all clubs believe in International style shooting as Bullseye is the pre-dominant form of pistol comps in the USA. There are also sites that can be found that offer regular Postal shoots. USAS also sponsors shoots that are held on a "Regional" basis, "Shooting Times" an NRA production has gone online and you can also gets news of various shoots in your vicinity (you may have to travel, however." If are really interested you will search out a possible club and settle in. Don't lose heart, if it's worthwhile you will find a spot. "Crotchety Ole Coach" "Doc"
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Try this site, it gives you the best of both worlds [well to some extent ] without the driving.

http://www.airgunarena.com/index.php/Sp ... iewMatches
EleytenX

Post by EleytenX »

I also live in Atlanta, I use to shoot smallbore and air rifle but now I don't want to carry all the junk so I'm resorting to pistol. Ft Benning has the most matches here in Georgia they hold PTO and other matches. I'm trying to find out that info as well or get dates from them. If you find any info let me know or vise versa.

Kathy
dwdiez

AP rules!

Post by dwdiez »

I have shot in most of all disciplines but you are correct about the Zen of AP. It's something that not a lot of people understand especiall the big bangers (those who just dump big caliber ammo down range for fun). Nothing wrong with that but you just don't develop the skills necessary for real disciplined shooting.

I have been shooting NRA Bullseye for more years than I care to remember, it's great. Police Pistol is great too. But there's nothing like the smell of compressed air in the morning, smells like victory.

My 2 cents worth.
dodz

Re: AP rules!

Post by dodz »

dwdiez wrote:I have shot in most of all disciplines but you are correct about the Zen of AP. It's something that not a lot of people understand especiall the big bangers (those who just dump big caliber ammo down range for fun). Nothing wrong with that but you just don't develop the skills necessary for real disciplined shooting.

I have been shooting NRA Bullseye for more years than I care to remember, it's great. Police Pistol is great too. But there's nothing like the smell of compressed air in the morning, smells like victory.

My 2 cents worth.
I know that police pistol is a great weapon, but how about billy clubs ? Is that a good weapon for the police?