Match Air Rifle Pull Length

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

22big

Match Air Rifle Pull Length

Post by 22big »

I am looking for a most current match air rifle that has the shortest pull length; would you please advice a model between Walther, Feinerkbau, Anschutz, or Steyr?

Thank you so much.
ZD

Reply to Length of Pull

Post by ZD »

It seems to be my experience that most of the air rifles sold today have about the same length of pull. Personally, I have shot a FWB 700 (my coaches) but currently shoot an aluminum stock anschutz 2002. To my knowledge, the only stock that I have seen advertised with a shorter length of pull is the MEC stock. Try and Bom inc. (i.e, Monard USA) sell a MEC stock with a 9003 S2 Action. The stock is advertised to have a length of pull several inches shorter than an Anschutz stock. However, the price is 3700 dollars, and thats without sights. One option I suppose you could do is if you get an aluminum stock air rifle, you could move the grip back all the way, followed by moving the trigger back. I have not done either these two things (I keep the length of pull about the same between my thumhole Anschutz smallbore ifle and my air rifle) but it seems to be a logical move. One thing I have done, however, is I flattened the buttplate all the way on my air gun (and smallbore gun), which I did purposely to decrease the length of pull. I would recommend trying other competitors rifles. The only other rifle I can think of with a short length of pull is a Junior Walther Air Gun, but this rifle lacks adjustments beyond a basic rubber buttplate and a cheekpiece.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

What is Length of Pull?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Length of pull?
I'm presuming from the script you mean length of stock from centre of curve of butt plate to face of pistol grip. No manufacturer lists this dimension and it is like drawing teeth to get it out of them. We have searched for my wife and only succeeded with Walther for the LG300XT Junior which is 26 cm, still 1 cm to much in our case.
This is a problem for short people particularly in the standing position such as air rifle where the stock needs to be shorter than prone.
Best regards
Robin
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

LOP - I've always used from the center curve of buttplate to trigger face

Just a note to be careful with ... as you shorten the LOP, the grip of the rifle is getting moved closer to support shoulder and also closer to the chest. Keep in mind the new rule which was defined as "no support" has now been changed to "no touch".

If the LOP gets so short that the the rifle starts touching the jacket, you may have to start grinding/filing on the stock to keep clearance. In most cases the part of the stock that touches is the grip
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

jhmartin (sorry to be so formal!)
I agree the shorter stock moves closer to the chest in a bigger person who likes a short stock, but with short people the spacing is proportional and it is essential to get a ballanced position, but still needs care to not touch.
I have lost count of the rifles I have shortened for my wife over the years, just saw it of, finish it and screw on the buttplate carrier, but now its a major engineering job. Would be nice if at least one of the manufacturers allowed a couple of cm's more adjustment, or even if they answered the emails to them asking what the dimension was would be a start!
Best regards
Robin
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I shoot an older FWB-P70-jr (laminate stock) that my coach adjusted to min LoP for me. approx 11.5 inches / 19cm. If you can find a thinner butt plate/pad you can shorten it maybe another 1cm.
He told me that if needed, the wood stocks can be shorted a bit by a good gunsmith.
yana

Post by yana »

Maybe a Junior version has shorter length of pull?
Are you looking for air or smallbore?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Gary
Thanks, but 11.5 inches is actualy 29cm, that's 4 cm or just over 1.5 inches too long as we need to get to 25cm . Any way she does not like FWB's (women huh!). She is still using a Walther LGR Junior (and thats shortened!) that was supplied direct from the factory in Ulm as a prototype when she was shooting internationaly. She is only shooting for fun now but would like to change to a PCP, I think the Walther carbon tech will adjust down but that is silly money!), but even the Junior Walther and Anschutz will require to be shortened further which is not so straight forward as it used to be before they put all the adjustment mechanism's in, at the moment it looks like it will be a Walther LG 300 Junior and I will have a bit of work to do.
Best regards
Robin
22big

Post by 22big »

Thank you so much for the reply.

It seemed difficult to come up with a specific information about the pull length from manufactures. For those who have these current high end match air rifles, would it be possible to take a couple of measurement to share as a comparison?

Much appreciated.
cmj

Post by cmj »

If she likes the Walther look at their Anatomic It looks like could get it down to 10 inches pretty easy, remove the center adjusting post, drill and tap a couple set screw holes for the rods and good to go. Depending on her hand size IE how long her trigger finger is could get down to 9 something inches depending on how far back move the handgrip.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Ooops
Robin, you are correct, I did not notice that I was on the 2nd 10cm section of my tape measure. dumb mistake
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

CMJ
Yes that's our current thinking, we know the Walther carbon tech goes down very short (23cm ish?) but the cost is silly, I'm trying to find out the stock length of the Anatomic, and the Alutec which is a more sensible price. The trigger reach on most is ok as long as the stock length is not achieved by moving the pistol grip back.
Gary
Don't worry, we went metric many years ago but most people of my age group still measure in inches and convert to metric, not as bad as the cock up with the Hubble telescope which had some items made in imperial which should have been metric, only discovered after it had been launched in space!
22big
A good suggestion, this info is difficult to get from manufacturers, they just don't answer comunications.
Best regards
Robin
cmj

Post by cmj »

http://www.carl-walther.de/files/pdf/LG ... 753685.pdf

Walther Anatomic stock instruction manual has great pictures of the stock. With the center adjusting rod removed and the medium grip all the way forward, towards the trigger the LOP is about 10.5 inches. set screws would need to be installed, but plenty of room to add them to the existing piece in the stock. More difficult to do would be to mill off the piece on the end of the stock and add setscrews in the stock itself, but would gain a little more than 1/2 an inch doing that. By shortening the two remaining rods only gain bout 1/8-3/16 maybe as they bottom out also
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Got to check a Walther LG300XT Junior and the shop allowed me to dismantle the stock length mechanism. I discovered that with that out and the but plate taken off the mounting it could be screwed direct to the wooden stock, infact I think it was designed to be done as the ultimate "shorty" as the back of the stock actualy has pilot hole locations drilled. So it can be taken down to 25cm butt centre to face of pistol grip, so we bought it!
Best regards
Robin