Location of posters on TargetTalk

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

joker

Location of posters on TargetTalk

Post by joker »

This is an International Forum - I wish the moderators would insist on folk who post indicating in their profiles where they are based - or is it the usual USA contributors who forget about the rest of the World?
David Levene

Re: Location of posters on TargetTalk

Post by David Levene »

joker wrote:......or is it the usual USA contributors who forget about the rest of the World?
It certainly isn't that one-sided.

On a few occassions in recent months we have had UK based posters responding to US based posters as if they were UK based (if that all makes sense).

The only time when the lack of a geographic location is a problem is when someone is asking "where can I buy" or "who can fix" type questions. A "where are you based" response is normally all that is needed.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I think that even just for interest sake that the posters should have their location included.
best regards
Robin
zoned

Post by zoned »

RobinC wrote:I think that even just for interest sake that the posters should have their location included.
best regards
Robin
I agree. I don't relate to anyone.
joker

Post by joker »

Here is an example which really annoys me - where abouts is he expecting to receive advice for?

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=24653
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

joker wrote:This is an International Forum (...) - or is it the usual USA contributors who forget about the rest of the World?
Certainly not. There are many contributors here in the forum outside the navel-gazing xenophobic frogpond that the USA (but not "North America") is.

Besides, I am sure that there even are a few surviving US-Americans that would not match your description. ;-)

Alexander (in Old Europe)
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Alexander wrote:
joker wrote:This is an International Forum (...) - or is it the usual USA contributors who forget about the rest of the World?
Certainly not. There are many contributors here in the forum outside the navel-gazing xenophobic frogpond that the USA (but not "North America") is.

Besides, I am sure that there even are a few surviving US-Americans that would not match your description. ;-)

I think you can guess where I am from (Philadelphia). As a citizen of the xenophobic frogpond as you put it, I can confirm for myself that having had forefathers who defeated the old british in order to be free of their oppressive eurocentric rule, I really could care less what America bashing foreigners such as you think and as a result I was torn as to whether to bother to respond.

On second thought, nevermind.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Hey, I only swallowed _half_ of Jokers's juicy bait. ;-)

On a second thought, if there is a Joker, where is Batman?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Ok Philadelphia we can probably guess where you are based, as for Alexander, could be any where from Greece to Latvia to Spain, Italy, ad finitum, can't be Britain though we don't admit to being Europe.
Stop the colonial bashing guys and just enter your real location, I'm proud of mine, don't need to hide.
Best regards
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

should you change your profile evey time you travel? I am usually in Cheyenne Wyoming but today, I am in Sorrento, Italy watching it rain.
joker

Post by joker »

Philadelphia wrote:
Alexander wrote:

I think you can guess where I am from (Philadelphia). As a citizen of the xenophobic frogpond as you put it, I can confirm for myself that having had forefathers who defeated the old british in order to be free of their oppressive eurocentric rule, I really could care less what America bashing foreigners such as you think and as a result I was torn as to whether to bother to respond.

On second thought, nevermind.
Hey - pull your neck in, fill out the Location part in your profile and have yourself a cheesesteak at Geno's or Pat's ;0)
Last edited by joker on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joker

Post by joker »

Isabel1130 wrote:should you change your profile evey time you travel? I am usually in Cheyenne Wyoming but today, I am in Sorrento, Italy watching it rain.
That's a long commute!
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Isabel1130 wrote:should you change your profile evey time you travel? I am usually in Cheyenne Wyoming but today, I am in Sorrento, Italy watching it rain.
Have you picked a favorite spot? While in Sorrento, may I recommend the Foreigner's Club (heh heh -- lame attempt at humor in this thread -- but it is a great setting for a nightcap -- cheers). If you stop by the Tramontano, give my regards. :)
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

joker wrote:Hey - pull your neck in, fill out the Location part in your profile and have yourself a cheesesteak at Geno's or Pat's ;0)
I thought I told you I am from Philadelphia (which I am). I don't have a neck. ;)
joker

Post by joker »

Philadelphia wrote:
Have you picked a favorite spot? While in Sorrento, may I recommend the Foreigner's Club (heh heh -- lame attempt at humor in this thread -- but it is a great setting for a nightcap -- cheers). If you stop by the Tramontano, give my regards. :)
Just say that 'Philadelpia' sends regards - they will know who you mean ?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I am staying up in the hills above the town. It has been very nice. The town is practically empty. There is a beautiful view of the bay. I haven't frequentled many of the local establishments and tomorrow is the day for going back to Rome to take an early flight back to the states on Thursday morning. It has been a nice trip but not one I will repeat soon. The jet lag has been a killer. Isabel
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

For Phidelphia OORAH !!!!Good Shootimg , Where ever you are. Bill Horton
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I'm just mortified this board only draws visitors from US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy, and Canada. From the looks of this video, we REALLY need to attract participants from India and other nations badly needing shooting advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xej6IQt0 ... re=related

Or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjs3-m1S ... re=related

Check out the tags on the video, I feel so 'edjumacated' now.

Interestingly, in my non-shooting professional life, I've been flung all over the world. However a former British colleague once asked me "what is a "Raleigh"" - since I now live near this capital city. It was a sad bit to inform him that the city was named for Sir Walter Raleigh, a British subject. I wanted to lay HIS coat in a mud puddle (as Sir Walter was renowned for doing to protect the path of a young lass).

Lastly, I'm also somewhat neck-challenged, and I've professed that my American belly works quite well as a monopod and counterpoise. Too bad I'm of half Italian heritage; maybe my genetic shooting abilities are linked to nefarious activities by my ancestrial lineage, or perhaps it's my ability to eat large sums of gnocci and meatballs?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Telecomtodd wrote:I'm just mortified this board only draws visitors from US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, France, Italy, and Canada.
Count me in for very occasionally representing Kenya here.
Philadelphia

Re: Post Subject

Post by Philadelphia »

2650 Plus wrote:For Phidelphia OORAH !!!!Good Shootimg , Where ever you are. Bill Horton
I can't give the OORAH in return but I'll say HOOAH Marine!