pellet vilosity

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
glr1

pellet vilosity

Post by glr1 »

what is the legal air pistol vilosity?at what speed do have on your air pistol?
LeLongCarabine

Re: pellet vilosity

Post by LeLongCarabine »

glr1 wrote:what is the legal air pistol vilosity?at what speed do have on your air pistol?
depends on your region in the UK the legal limit is under six ft/lb's
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Air pistol velocity does not have a legal limit, however muzzle energy does. This is calculated using the muzzle velocity and the weight of the pellet. As LetLongCarabine mentioned, in the UK, this limit has to be under 6ft/lb's. If you follow this link http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/formulas/ you will be able to calculate your own muzzle energy once you know the velocity and the pellet weight. Hope that this helps.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

John Marchant wrote:Air pistol velocity does not have a legal limit, however muzzle energy does.
You are looking at the position in the UK, which does not apply in all countries.

I understand that Canada has a limit of 500fps.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

My LP2 shoots 525 fps and my IZH46M shoots 430fps at 4700 ft elevation.

RWS Basic pellets.
superstring

Post by superstring »

David Levene wrote:
John Marchant wrote:Air pistol velocity does not have a legal limit, however muzzle energy does.
You are looking at the position in the UK, which does not apply in all countries.

I understand that Canada has a limit of 500fps.
Yep, here in Canada any "firearm" with a velocity of >500fps requires a special permit to purchase. However what you do with your air pistol after purchase is up to you ;-)
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

David,
Thank you for identifying the situation in Canada and probably other countries, I was not aware of these restrictions.
It must be quite challenging selecting the best make, size and grade of pellet to achieve a consistant group size at the lower velocities.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

superstring wrote:Yep, here in Canada any "firearm" with a velocity of >500fps requires a special permit to purchase. However what you do with your air pistol after purchase is up to you ;-)
Why not just get the permit? Is it somethat that's hard to get?
superstring

Post by superstring »

Philadelphia wrote:
superstring wrote:Yep, here in Canada any "firearm" with a velocity of >500fps requires a special permit to purchase. However what you do with your air pistol after purchase is up to you ;-)
Why not just get the permit? Is it somethat that's hard to get?
Last time I checked, a FAC (firearms acquisition certificate) required a full criminal/medical background check and also a compulsory class in the safe handling of firearms. Nothing wrong with that but it all means time and money.

Back in the 80s I had a FAC for my .22 S&W, but then it wasn't nearly as much hassle to get one and now, since I don't intend to shoot powder, why bother?