Pardini SP stove pipes

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sbtzc

Pardini SP stove pipes

Post by sbtzc »

Apparently, I have an especially finicky Pardini. I keep having stove pipe issues. To resolve the issues, I have tried;
  • different kinds of ammunition (Federal, SK, Aquila, Eley Sport, RWS)
    repeated thorough cleanings
    oiling the ammunition (Break Free, FP-10)
    'tweaking' the magazine lips
    reversing the magazine springs
    cleaning the chamber with bronze and nylon brushes
    different amounts of lubrication
The only thing I have found, is that magazines from other Pardini's work. But I have not used other guns' magazines enough to be sure. Sometimes it seems like what I have tried works, but only for a short time.

This is a new gun, only a few months old. Any help is appreciated.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

For clarity, exactly what do you mean by "stove pipe." I have found some different folks use the term for different feed and/or extraction problems.

If it is a new pistol, have you started with the vendor?

Also, assuming the problem is happening once every 50 or 100 or 200 rounds, you maybe changing things too quickly to realize an improvement. I also know the fustration. I have had pistol perform falsely for years and then have a problem develop. Some gunsmiths that really know the pistol well can sometimes fix the problem by cleaning off a little burr someplace and all will be well for quite some time.

How well does the extractor hold an unfired round as you extract the round from the chamber? (please be safe) What about a fired, empty cartridge?
The extractor should hold the cartridge in place until you hit the ejector. This would indicate a problem with the extractor or extractor spring.

Also,what is the depth of the recess in the bolt face? You could have too much or too little. I am not sure what the Pardini should be. (check with the vendor).

I also remember some talk of a recoil buffer on Pardinis but have no experience with that part.

BTW, how well are you shooting when the stove pipes occur? Nothing like breaking the wrist to absorb some recoil and cause problems!

Many possibilities, but a good target pistol gunsmith should be considered in your approach.
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

PETE S wrote:For clarity, exactly what do you mean by "stove pipe."
stove pipe - spent case remains in in the gun's ejection port preventing the bolt from closing and/or the next round from feeding properly.
PETE S wrote:If it is a new pistol, have you started with the vendor?
Yes. Larry's has been helpful in suggesting things and even sent me different ammunition (SK) to try. I am hesitant to send the gun back due to the time and expense involved.
PETE S wrote:Also, assuming the problem is happening once every 50 or 100 or 200 rounds, you maybe changing things too quickly to realize an improvement.
The frequency of occurrence is less then 50 rounds and is intermittent. It happens on slow fire or rapid. It happens when it has been freshly cleaned or after 80 rounds. The last match, it stove piped on the alibi string from a stove pipe. The five rounds between went without a problem.
PETE S wrote:How well does the extractor hold an unfired round as you extract the round from the chamber?
The extractor holds both live and spent rounds tightly. Special attention has been paid to cleaning that 'little bit of crud' out from under the extractor. You gave me an idea; I'll go look for that nasty burr under the extractor - thanks.
PETE S wrote:Also,what is the depth of the recess in the bolt face? You could have too much or too little. I am not sure what the Pardini should be. (check with the vendor).
That adds to the list of reasons to send it back.
PETE S wrote:BTW, how well are you shooting when the stove pipes occur? Nothing like breaking the wrist to absorb some recoil and cause problems!
The problem has occurred both when I have held tight and shot a 9 or 10 and when I have 'limp wrist-ed' the gun and shot a 4 at six o' clock. It is correct that I do not shoot well - averaging mid-70's to low-80's. But the gun should be more reliable.

Thank you for your help.

Post by Guest »

...spent case remains in in the gun's ejection port preventing the bolt from closing...
Is the hook of the extractor in good shape? Do you still get a jam if you shoot with the extractor removed?

The ejector is on the magazine so you may want to try different ones. I remember the dimensions of the magazines that came with my 1995 Pardini were somewhat tigher than those that came with my 2006 Pardini.

Hope this helps!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Because the ejector is on the magazine, it's remotely possible that the magazine catch is at fault. If it doesn't hold the magazine high enough, the case may not eject to the side properly & it gets hung up.

See if you can push the magazine in significantly higher than the catch holds it. If it is loose, try putting increasingly thick shims on the bottom of the magazine where the catch holds it to raise the magazine up.

This is all guesswork. None of the Pardinis I'm familiar with have even had this issue. I have an SP New, and my wife shoots an older SP.

Another tip: (assuming you have more than one) mark your magazines & keep track of which one has issues. If it's only one, there may be a subtle difference that will help you identify the source of the problem.
randy1952

Problem

Post by randy1952 »

One thing you might want to consider is the recoil spring. The recoil spring might be to much for standard match ammo.
j-team

Post by j-team »

A few more suggestions:

1. Pick up a fired case and look at the sides. If there's gouging on the brass, then check the chamber mouth is free from burrs. You can work out the orientation from the firing pin mark to locate any possible burr.

2. May sound a bit odd but what happens if you don't clean it at all? As in fire 500-1000 rounds and don't clean a thing. I've had an SP and an SPnew. Both went best if left uncleaned for ages!

3. If you are in a cold place, keep you ammo in your pocket proir to loading and shooting. I used to have to do this in the .22short days for Rapid Fire.
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

Although mine is an HP .32 I had similar problems. It turned out the mags were of a softer alloy which eventually bent the ejectors. I straightened them but they bent right back. The ultimate solution was to buy 3 new ones which solved the problem. In view of the fact other mags seem to work OK I'd say that is the source. Don't expect any consideration from the factory or the importer other than a receipt for $200.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anybody know if the ejector area of the magazine can be heat-treated?
oldcaster

magazine modification

Post by oldcaster »

I don't know if it can be heat treated but someone good with a torch can easily add some metal with silver solder and then file to fit. This is the reason that Standard Pistol is shot in Europe with one magazine. No one can afford two.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody know if the ejector area of the magazine can be heat-treated?

Going by the hardness of the metal most magazines are made from, I would say that they have been given a certain degree of heat treatment.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The only thing I have found, is that magazines from other Pardini's work. But I have not used other guns' magazines enough to be sure. Sometimes it seems like what I have tried works, but only for a short time.

This is a new gun, only a few months old. Any help is appreciated.
I had a similsr problem with a Walther, and I corrected it by pulling the magazine apart and making a spacer for the return spring [ effectively giving the magazine return spring more force ] The spacer needed to be 6mm. in length, but provided more pressure [ especially for the last two rounds ] helping to stabilize the alignment ....my problem was cured,...perhaps a consideration with regards to yours.
sbtzc

Thank you

Post by sbtzc »

Thank you all for your suggestions and insight.

I took the gun to a gunsmith. His opinion is that the extractor is too sharp. It was holding the spent case just a wee bit too long. He is going to round the edges slightly.

Thank you again.