German Korth Target Revolver ???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
daotoys1

German Korth Target Revolver ???

Post by daotoys1 »

Im looking at getting a German made Korth revolver for target shooting, and for sport.

Im thinking of a 22 LR target model for shooting paper/targets, and a 357 mag for sport/ personal protection.

Can anyone give me feedback and/or information of these guns. I know Korth have a good reputation for quality fit and finish, but how accurate are they and how do they do for precision shooting? How is the trigger?

Any input is welcomed. I have read alot about Korth, but have never seen one in person.

I know they are costly, but so are the Swiss guns I currently collect.

thank you

Happy New Year....2010
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Germans think they are the best revolvers of the world, but such national pride is not unheard of among other nations either... ;-).

Of course they are better than Colt or Smith & Wesson, but are they worth a multiple?

Anyhow, lots of them on www.egun.de at any time. One just got to be patient. (This requirement excludes potential American buyers... LOL)
Last edited by Alexander on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

There has GOT to be a way for someone to capitalize on eGun. They have guns for sale, there are buyers in the U.S. who want to buy - it seems to me that an enterprising businessman in Germany and an American firm like Pilkguns could set up a brokering service.

Re: German Korth Target Revolver ???

Post by Guest »

Possibly the very best one? Yes, imo. The trigger gives a smooth feeling (so it is different from the Manurhin). The balance is good. The accuracy is really super. I shot one of my best targets (19 tens, 1 nine) with a Korth.
roostonu

Post by roostonu »

Alexander wrote:Germans think they are the best revolvers of the world, but such national pride is not unheard of among other nations either... ;-).

Of course they are better than Colt or Smith & Wesson, but are they worth a multiple?

Anyhow, lots of them on www.egun.de at any time. One just got to be patient. (This requirement excludes potential American buyers... LOL)
I did some looking on egun when I was looking for an AP and it looked to me like there were sellers who were willing to sell to and ship to the US. There were also some that would not ship internationally but it sounded like a case by case thing to me. Am I wrong?
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

A person cannot legally import a firearm into the USA . A FFL with Importer License is needed to get guns into the country.

Even if a european selling is willing to ship to the USA, a legally authorized firearms imported is needed to get the gun into the country.

:)
FredB

Post by FredB »

daotoys1 wrote:A person cannot legally import a firearm into the USA . A FFL with Importer License is needed to get guns into the country.

Even if a european selling is willing to ship to the USA, a legally authorized firearms imported is needed to get the gun into the country.

The above statement is not correct. An occasional import may be done by any FFL, with or without an importers' license, if he or she follows the steps laid out by the BATF. In my experience, most FFLS just don't want to bother with it, but it is possible.

HTH,
FredB
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I received a pistol from Switzerland last year and it was considered to be imported by me {not for resale by the FFL holder}, however, it had to be received by an FFL holder.
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

FredB wrote:
daotoys1 wrote:A person cannot legally import a firearm into the USA . A FFL with Importer License is needed to get guns into the country.

The above statement is not correct. An occasional import may be done by any FFL, with or without an importers' license, if he or she follows the steps laid out by the BATF. In my experience, most FFLS just don't want to bother with it, but it is possible.

HTH,
FredB

Yes but from what the ATF told me just a month ago, this is a one time exception, it does not mean that that person/FFL can do this more than a single time, plus it is very complicated and requires alot of extra paperwork and time, and even then the person/FFL may not be given permission to import even that single time. Since this is a extra ordinary situation, and also can be done only once, I did not think this was an option that would help the general public get firearms into the country.

This one time special exception was designed to allow family members to obtain guns that were willed or left to them from friends and/or family members, it was not designed to allow import guns without a very good reason. The ATF has the right to refuse this one time import option if they do not feel it fits the meaning behind the exception.....this means it will not be given to people for business reasons.

What was stated by the earlier post was that there is a need for the general public to be able to buy guns outside the USA and easily get them into the USA . And the ATF sees this as the job of those with FFL and Import license. With all the homeland security and fear out there, the ATF is not being loose with any of its functions.

The special import license to bring guns into the USA is very expensive. It is not cheap at all. I looked into getting one to make it easier for me to get guns for my collection and for friends and family, but its expensive to make it unattractive to the general public trying to get importing ability added to a easy to get FFL. So its easy and cheap to get license to buy and sell between, but within the states of the USA. Getting guns in or out of the USA is harder and much more costly.

Enough said.

thank you all for adding to my thread....even though it got side tracked

JamesH

Post by JamesH »

In my limited experience .22lr revolvers just aren't inherently very accurate, compared with autos at least.

Maybe the tolerances on the average revolver aren't good enough, or the .22 bullet or load isn't really suitable for a chamber shoulder, cylinder gap, forcing cone etc combination compared with an auto barrel.

Maybe Korth would be better, or a .22 revolver will be about as accurate as a .357 revolver and therefore good enough.
I used to have two Troopers in .22 and .357 which was quite handy, but an order of magnitude cheaper than Korths.

Do you want a .357 or .38 Special? I think they make both, or used to.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Probably one of the best revolvers around for fit and finish. For any non-revolver specific shooting discipline, I'd think they would lag behind semi-autos. The longer lock time of most revolvers compared to most semi-autos alone would leave me to believe they would be less inherently accurate than most semi-autos.
6string

Post by 6string »

Regardless of the commonly held opinion that .22 revolvers don't shoot, my experience has been to the contrary. I have owned two different pre-war Colt Officer Model Targets in 22lr that were fully match grade. The fitting, timing, trigger quality were superb. At the time, 25 years ago, I was shooting them better than my S&W 41 or H-S Victor, although they were more of a challenge for 2700 American style rapid and timed fire. Fouling was never a problem, they would just shoot and shoot day after day.
(So why was I dumb enough to sell them? Aah, the folly of youth.... LOL!)

I would be intrigued to find out how the Korth 22 shoots. They don't seem to be a company that would intentionally make a product that could make them look bad.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all!!
FredB

Post by FredB »

I'll keep this short, and I don't want to get into an argument, but what "daotoys1" says below is full of misinformation. Occasional does not mean "one time only", and an occasional importation is no more expensive or difficult than routine importations. And the BATF can deny any importation for cause. You can check out all the facts on the BATF website - all the rules are laid out clearly.

FredB

daotoys1 wrote:
FredB wrote:

HTH,
FredB

Yes but from what the ATF told me just a month ago, this is a one time exception, it does not mean that that person/FFL can do this more than a single time, plus it is very complicated and requires alot of extra paperwork and time, and even then the person/FFL may not be given permission to import even that single time. Since this is a extra ordinary situation, and also can be done only once, I did not think this was an option that would help the general public get firearms into the country.

This one time special exception was designed to allow family members to obtain guns that were willed or left to them from friends and/or family members, it was not designed to allow import guns without a very good reason. The ATF has the right to refuse this one time import option if they do not feel it fits the meaning behind the exception.....this means it will not be given to people for business reasons.

What was stated by the earlier post was that there is a need for the general public to be able to buy guns outside the USA and easily get them into the USA . And the ATF sees this as the job of those with FFL and Import license. With all the homeland security and fear out there, the ATF is not being loose with any of its functions.

The special import license to bring guns into the USA is very expensive. It is not cheap at all. I looked into getting one to make it easier for me to get guns for my collection and for friends and family, but its expensive to make it unattractive to the general public trying to get importing ability added to a easy to get FFL. So its easy and cheap to get license to buy and sell between, but within the states of the USA. Getting guns in or out of the USA is harder and much more costly.

Enough said.

thank you all for adding to my thread....even though it got side tracked

Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

Im my experience the Korth is a very nicely made revolver with a good single action trigger pull.
The double action pull is modular in that you can change its characteristics from straight pull through to a stacking action by replacing a small disc (wheel really) with one of a different diameter.
Anyway you set it up it is no way nearly as good as the DA-pull of a S&W, the ones I have shot (a .22 and a .357 version) have also had the annoying tendency that if you abort a DA-shot right before the breaking point the hammer will fall and the shot will fire (on release of the trigger).

//Anders
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Having gone through the import process personally (Switzerland to the US), I agree with FredB. There is no one time limitation and the authorization to import is not dependent on the existence of an intra family transaction.

I also agree that it is challenging to find an FFL in the US who will want to bother with the extra paperwork involved.

My import process took nearly six months.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

My point exactly. There's a business opportunity for a German dealer to receive successful eGun bids and ship them to the USA, and for an American dealer to import them. Given some of the bargains to be had, it's surprising nobody has jumped on it.

Post by Guest »

Who'd want to sell anything to the States? Any problems happen, you get shipping costs that'll eat up any profit made. The user blows himself up, however stupid, the seller will get sued for 34 quadrillion bucks. No motivation at all.

Post by Guest »

To get back to the topic: The Korth is certainly a fantastic piece of engineering - but for sport shooting, you can't beat the Manurhin. And there is nothing wrong with the accuracy of a .22 Manurhin. And there are complete Manurhin kits around with .22 / .32 / .38 (or .357) changeable barrels and cylinders.