Pellet - R10 vs Finale Match

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kp

Post by kp »

which brand name of pellet would you perfer to use for air pistol??

and why ??? is it better for faster of speed ??

thanks
paulo

Post by paulo »

My gun likes FM and Vogel Yellow (German made)
Probably finding the correct size pellet to maximize rifling is more important than brands.
That being said I like a pellet with no imperfections in the back, meaning that the back is flat and the side perfectly round.
If you inspect an expired pellet you will see that the rifling all happens on the back rim of the pellet.
A manufacturer that can deliver a uniform size all the time, and a perfect pellet back, gets my vote.
Rover

Post by Rover »

RWS Diabalo Basic....because they're cheap, and so am I.

Do a "Search" on here and you'll find more than you've ever wanted to know about pellets.
yana

Post by yana »

I use what groups best in my AP. For my Tau that is JSB Match, for the morini thats finale match, for the aeron thats JSB Match.

Post by Guest »

size of average airpistol group 8-9 mm. Size of group needed to shoot a 21 mm's. Conclusion, worrying about pellets in airpistols is a waste of time.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Anonymous wrote:size of average airpistol group 8-9 mm. Size of group needed to shoot a 21 mm's. Conclusion, worrying about pellets in airpistols is a waste of time.
I have to disagree. Take, for example, a shooter who can hold the 10 ring (or 9 or 8 or whatever example needed). If the shots hit where aimed, they would all be 10s. If the shots do not hit where aimed, some would be 10s and some would be not 10s. Same goes for whatever ring the shooter is able to hold. Different pellets do give different group sizes in different pistols. Ideally, shoot the pellets that produce the tightest groups out of your gun. Compared to everything else related to the shooting sports, quality pellets are incredibly inexpensive.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

Anonymous wrote:size of average airpistol group 8-9 mm. Size of group needed to shoot a 21 mm's. Conclusion, worrying about pellets in airpistols is a waste of time.
I have to disagree. Take, for example, a shooter who can hold the 10 ring (or 9 or 8 or whatever example needed). If the shots hit where aimed, they would all be 10s. If the shots do not hit where aimed, some would be 10s and some would be not 10s. Same goes for whatever ring the shooter is able to hold. Different pellets do give different group sizes in different pistols. Ideally, shoot the pellets that produce the tightest groups out of your gun. Compared to everything else related to the shooting sports, quality pellets are incredibly inexpensive.

Post by Guest »

Compared to efficient practice, testing for pellets in AP is a complete waste of time and money. And there are more than enough statements from world class shooters supporting that opinion, as well as for FP. It's well known that any type of quality brand from a quality AP outshoots every shooter by far.
oldcaster

Testing pellet accuracy

Post by oldcaster »

I also think that practicing proper form is way more important than most anything else and it is pretty much a waste of time if you think that it is going to do much to your score. However as a project it can be fairly interesting to see what works best and to give you a boost of confidence. It is pretty easy to check the accuracy of the guns that don't take a lot of force to cock because you can take the grips off your gun and slab some wood on the metal part of the grip area and put it in a vice. I did this with my LP-5 last year and was a little surprised with my result. Only one was bad enough to affect a score and they were junk anyway and I wouldn't have thought of using them when I was serious. The group of guys I was working with didn't have much of a variety of pellets with us anyway. I found some that my son had from years ago that he shot in his Bemann R1. The results for 10 shot groups were shot at 10 meters using the 5 shot magazine. These results might be manufacturer relevent or they might even be individual gun relevent so don't make too much out of them. Interestingly, look at the cheap Gamo pellets compared to the Match Kugeln. Most of the guys shot Vogel because we did a group buy when someone in the group went to Camp Perry. Now several are shooting RWS hobby, mostly because they are lighter than the Vogels and they are shooting Baikals which don't shoot as fast. The hobby pellets like the Gamo won't fit in my LP5 magazine unless pressed in with something like a steel pellet lid and no one was shooting them when I did the test. We didn't try any of the Baikals because we figured cocking them might move the guns. I need to try some of the RWS Hobby pellets because some of the top shots in my group are using them in their Baikals getting scores typically in the 550's. Groups are center to center.

Match Kugeln .513
Vogel .098 sorry, I had .98 previously--makes a difference
Daisy Quick Silver .548
Gamo Match .295
Benjamin HC 1.465 after 4 shots I gave up
Last edited by oldcaster on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Despite pellets being cheap, I see little reason for practising with the most expensive types. So I look for low price plus reliable supply, buy a box and test them in a supported air rifle. This makes it easy to shoot precisely. You need to shot a fair number to ensure consistent quality, and if you have powder scales you may want to weigh a couple of dozen.
Good quality pellets shouldn't vary much more than 0.1 -0.2 grains.
What you want to avoid, is the odd flyer that will destroy your scores.
In my experience it is easy to find pellets that cost about half the price of genuine match grade stuff and shoot just fine. Some of these are cheaper grades from the same manufacturers that make the expensive ones.
ronpistolero

Post by ronpistolero »

My two cents worth.

If your air pistol cannot produce a group that is under 8mm in diameter, I think you are going through a match with a serious disadvantage. Check out the target sample that comes with your gun. With reasonable quality pellets, match guns are expected to make or at least approach the sample group; and I believe that this is precisely why there is the velocity adjustment screw. My 15 yr old Steyr, one of the first compressed air models, could produce such groups using H&N (match and final match), RWS (the old yellow or blue tin) and R10 with fine velocity adjustments. However, if such were not adjusted, 5 shot groups would produce holes as much as over 10mm on a vise. Your barrel has the capacity for this accuracy; but the variation of your shot-to-shot velocity as a result of its regulator problem will cause this inaccuracy.

Ron
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:Compared to efficient practice, testing for pellets in AP is a complete waste of time and money. And there are more than enough statements from world class shooters supporting that opinion, as well as for FP. It's well known that any type of quality brand from a quality AP outshoots every shooter by far.
Annonymously put but factually incorrect. It is far from a waste of time and money for anyone to match the pistol to the ammo. It is perhaps of less benefit except to the elite or those looking to eek out that extra 0.1% difference by batch testing ammo, but get the right make and size is very worthwhile. It is even more useful to test the ammo in FP and top shooters will batch test at Eley or equivalent before selecting their FP ammo.

Rob.
Hon

Post by Hon »

I only shoot air rifle. But my club members who shoot air pistols and almost all Chinese Olympic and World Cup Medalists shoot these pellets:

yana

Post by yana »

Some AP dó shoot well with various pellets, some dont. My Spider grouped terribly with Finale match. Circle 9, shot 2 handed. Than JSB Match: ragged hole, 2 handed.:)
I álways use whats best for my AP, so I KNOW I am to blame, not the pellets.:)
Also, starting with the right pellet prevents having to shift to the expensive one's when yr scores get high..And thus re zeroing.
I just start out with the best for my AP. Its easiest and it deserves it.:)
Why use cheapo pellets in a pistol worth E1000 or more?? Doesnt do it justice imo.
I agree that practice is most important, but shooting cheapo pellets in an extremely accurate gun is, imo, a waist of that perfect accuracy. Wether yóu can achieve that, or not. Such accuracy machines just deserves good pellets.:)
hiermax

Post by hiermax »

I have tested my LP10 at Männel. For my pistol the blue (pistol) H&N Final Match with a certain diameter showed the best result. So I bought some thousands of pellets of this specific lot. RWS and Vogel didn´t perform as well as the H&N. But I´m sure a different barrel of a different LP10 gives another result.
To make a long story shor: Test the pellets and the best ones will pop up ;-)
Max
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

people look at the numbers. 7-8mm pistol groups. a 10 ring group diameter that is 20.5 mm wide.

HELLO, thats almost three times bigger than your group size. The difference between 7.2 mm group and a 8.4 mm group on your score, is going to be zero. If you want to waste time testing pellets that is fine, but don't kid yourself that it will help your score. Training will help your AP score, testing pellets will not.

If you want to talk about air rifle, thats a totally different story.
hiermax

Post by hiermax »

Didn´t you mix up something? The diameter of the 10-ring of the AP target is 11,5 mm (as far as I know)!!
Max
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Pilkguns didn't forget about the width of the pellets on each side which will still give you a ten.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

11.5 + 4.5x2 = 20.5mm from outer edge to outer edge.
c-t-c group size is 11.5 + (4.5/2)*2 = 16mm
hiermax

Post by hiermax »

oldcaster wrote:Pilkguns didn't forget about the width of the pellets on each side which will still give you a ten.
Well, that´s right of course. I forgot about that, because I never ever have shot a ten that close. It was ALWAYS an nine ;-)) Must be something mistaken with my plates (is plate the right word for thing I shoot at?)!!!