Homemade barrel-weights... Rules???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pistolsmurf

Homemade barrel-weights... Rules???

Post by pistolsmurf »

In cal.22 (standard,sport and rapid-fire) are there any rules other than max.1400 gr. and 300x150x50 box? In the old days there were a max 40mm barrelheight rule. Does it still exist/comply?
All of this because I am building my own barrel-weight. Trying to ad a movable and spring operated weight. Not moving along the bore, but revolving, with a approx. 45 degr. weight-shift. It might end up looking somthing like a Ralf Schumann-monster, but i dont mind, if stands still during 10 sec and rapid-fire. By the way, its a walther ksp200 red devil with a 5mm thread in the trigger guard.
Naturally I will post pictures when finished.
Mikkel
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You're OK. You only have to worry about the maximum weight and the box size. The old barrel height rule for Rapid Fire pistols disappeared when the event went to the same pistol specification as Standard Pistol.

Have you seen the latest (I think) barrel weight for the Walther SSP. It mounts under the barrel and is two-piece, hinged at the rearmost edge. Under normal conditions the bottom section is sprung up tight to the top section (which is fixed solidly to the frame). Under recoil it hinges down.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

What is the purpose of (if I understand it correctly) decoupling the barrel weight under recoil? Seems to be an emerging design feature. I can see that a reduction of recoiling momentum might be advantageous for quick recovery, but surely such a reduction would result in a higher recoil acceleration (momentum of the system has to be conserved). Sorry, too lazy to sit down and do the maths, particularly when I might be failing to understand the implementation. Just hoping someone can save me mental effort and just tell me the answer!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

David Levene

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're OK. You only have to worry about the maximum weight and the box size. The old barrel height rule for Rapid Fire pistols disappeared when the event went to the same pistol specification as Standard Pistol.

Have you seen the latest (I think) barrel weight for the Walther SSP. It mounts under the barrel and is two-piece, hinged at the rearmost edge. Under normal conditions the bottom section is sprung up tight to the top section (which is fixed solidly to the frame). Under recoil it hinges down.
Hello David, I have an SSP , but I am only aware of three barrell weights. A 50 gr. aluminium, a 100 gr. steel, and a 140 gram with dampening of the same shape as the others. I will attach a picture of the 140 gram dampener, and perhaps you could tell me if it is the same as you have described. I am unaware of any hinged weight offered by Walther...but it sounds interesting.
Attachments
2701502.jpg
2701502.jpg (3.37 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

deadeyedick wrote:I will attach a picture of the 140 gram dampener, and perhaps you could tell me if it is the same as you have described. I am unaware of any hinged weight offered by Walther...but it sounds interesting.
It's a couple of months since I saw it and I didn't get the chance to examine it that closely. Memory tells me however that it wasn't as high as the one you posted, but memory can do funny things.

On the one in the picture, if you grasp the part that attaches to the pistol and the bottom part, can you pull them apart against a spring. If so then that could be the one.
pistolsmurf

Here's my revolving barrelweight mkI

Post by pistolsmurf »

Finaly I managed to finish my barrelweight.
The weight is made of brass, sides of lexan, base of aluminium(suface-treated), spacers stainless steel+brass.
Unfortunately the spring is too strong (rigid?), so I do not have any movement yet. Still it works fine as a weight, brought the gun up to 1340 grams including a empty mag. Sorry about the quality of the pictures, taken with my phone.
Mikkel
Attachments
ksp200-1.JPG
ksp200-3.JPG
ksp200-4.JPG
ksp200-5.JPG
ksp200-6.JPG