NRA classification system questions

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

durant7

NRA classification system questions

Post by durant7 »

I was reading the S. Indiana Air match info. I have a dream of getting a winter league going in NH. I have made special backstops, got Monday night approved by the club. Now I just need interest.

So...to making things a bit more interesting....I was looking to develop a handicap system and I found the NRA classification system.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training ... _rifle.asp

But yet one need only shoot a 534 10x to max out? Even our group can get to that level fairly quickly and then lose interest. Hummm. I see the Southern Indiana folks top level is Master. Not Distinquished Expert as the NRA system would suggest??

Any suggestions or examples to look at to develop a handicap system? Who knows, there may be more FWB300S out there than I realize.

Lastly, someone said there is a low key NRA postal. Yes, we did Don William's program once but I am not sure they are interested in that again.

Thanks from the lurkers who dream of shooting 580s
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The scores used in the Education Department qualification system are NOT the same scores used in classification. From Rule 19 of the NRA International Rifle Rules, the scores per string are-
INTERNATIONAL AIR RIFLE
Master . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 95.00 and above
Expert . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 90.00 to 94.99
Sharpshooter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 85.00 to 89.99
Marksman . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Below 85.00
cmj

Post by cmj »

The CMP has an air rifle handicap system I think.
http://www.odcmp.org/0308/default.asp?page=CMPHANDICAP
PL

Post by PL »

The NRA (now NRA/Winchester) marksmanship qualifications program, which goes from "Pro-Marksman" to "Distinguished Expert" (in 4-P .22 rifle, for example) is a way to benchmark your practice scores. As already pointed out, they are a whole different program than the NRA competition classifications (not really a handicap system, more of a categorization). There are many qualification programs for various disciplines, air rifle included. Some of your members may take a liking to going thru the program & earning the certificates, patches and medals.

Kudos to anyone who can come up with a true handicapping system that pleases everyone! The typical style that adds points to tyro shooters' scores usually skews the results so far toward beginners luck that it peeves off the better shots that try very hard for the extra point or two.

You might be better off to make sure there are rewards in each category, whether you use the competition classes or the qualification categories.

Coach Paula
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Thanks for the input.

I appreciate being put straight about the difference between NRA/Winchester system vs. the International Rifle classification system. We have had a silly but serious challenge between CT and NH for two years. About 10 to 12 shooters of various levels. Last year we had one shooter who averaged 94! two in the 90 to 94.99 and the rest kinda below that.

I'm an NRA member. I am familiar with NRA Silhouette, annual score books, score recording, classification from B, A, AA etc etc. Approved vs. Registered matches etc etc. I have searched the NRA site. How do I learn how to hold NRA approved 10m Air matches? I have been a match director for Silhouette approved matches and it is doable. I am trying to see how much effort it would be to do air at our club.

Dumb question and I am sure someone will point me to a url but I could not find it. I figure there are experts here that can explain it so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.
clark2245

Post by clark2245 »

durant7 wrote:...... How do I learn how to hold NRA approved 10m Air matches? I have been a match director for Silhouette approved matches and it is doable. I am trying to see how much effort it would be to do air at our club.
Probably the best way to be sure you have all the information is to call or email the NRA and check with the people who really know. I just took over as director for bullseye matches at a local club and found Ms Shelly Kramer, the manager of the tournament operations department, to be very helpful in answering all my questions and getting me everything I needed to get the paperwork done. You can contact her at 703-267-1459 or mkramer@nrahq.org .

Clark
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

durant7 wrote:How do I learn how to hold NRA approved 10m Air matches? I have been a match director for Silhouette approved matches and it is doable. I am trying to see how much effort it would be to do air at our club.
I've done NRA sanctioned league match for indoor pistol for my club and the process is about as painless as you can imagine. Create a match program, send copy with form to NRA, follow up on approval/certificate, hold match, report scores to NRA and send them the fees.

What might be helpful to you is if someone would send you a match program for an NRA sanctioned airgun match they've done that you can then just tailor to your match. Off the top of my head there are a very few basic requirements for the match program -- name of sponsoring club, date, time place, course of fire, follow NRA rules (of course), any other rules, who it's open to, fees -- I think that's about it.

If your club is not already NRA affiliated, it's easy to do that too and would be worthwhile.