federal match .32

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
customs954

federal match .32

Post by customs954 »

have a line on a case of .32 federal match 98 gr wadcutters, any com,ments on the brass as once they are fired will use that brass?
K5Tangos

Fed .32

Post by K5Tangos »

The brass reloaded fine, but the factory ammo was definitely 'warm.'

It chronographed at 730 fps out of my HP, which is over 100 fps faster than the Fiocchi, PMC, and Magtech ammo. It was the least accurate of the bunch as well.

50 yard targets attached.
Attachments
Fiocchi
Fiocchi
HP_Fiocchi_c.jpg (16.15 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Federal
Federal
HP_Federal.JPG (19.18 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Lapua 83gr
Lapua 83gr
HP_Lapua83Fac_c.jpg (35.12 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Magtech
Magtech
HP_Magtech_c.jpg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Magtech#2
Magtech#2
HP_Magtechb_c.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
fc60

Federal Brass

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

If you use a tubing micrometer, you will find that Federal brass is heavy walled. Especially in the mid-section where the base of the bullet is seated.

If you use a swaged HBWC bullet, the skirt will collapse to the contour of the internal brass dimensions. Should you use a hard cast bullet, a pronounced "bulge" will occur in the mid section of the cartridge where the base does not conform to the thicker walls. This can lead to chambering problems if your pistol has a tight chamber.

For the money, Fiocchi has been a good buy. The brass is of good quality for reloading as the case walls are mostly parallel all the way back to where the base of the bullet seats. On the down side, you cannot ask for a case of ammo that shoots X-ring. You get what they have in stock. Like all commercial ammo, the accuracy varies with the lot.

Additionally, Federal commercial ammunition has a small diameter bullet and the only barrel I have had any success with was one with a 0.308" bore. At 25M it may be okay.

Back in the old days when I shot along side with folks on the USAMTU team, they preferred Lapua commercial over the Federal. None of them thought highly of the accuracy of the Federal 32 ammo.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

Fabricator and shooter of fine 32 barrels
champ2010

Federal Brass

Post by champ2010 »

K5Tangos:

I am thinking of getting a .32 myself. Were those targets you showed shot out of a ransom rest? Sandbags? Off-hand? The spread seems very large compared to what I am used to see in other calibers. Are .32s really that much less accurate than .22, .38s, or even good .45?

Thanks
K5Tangos

Post by K5Tangos »

Champ2010,

All targets were shot from sandbags using a 1x red dot. Shooting a .32 at 50 yards seems to be an entirely different proposition than the 25m game. It is possible, but does take a little homework.

I tested two factory barreled pistols at 50 yards, a Hammerli 280 and Pardini HP. Both were hard pressed to keep 10 consecutive shots within the 8 ring.

My current HP has one of Dave Wilson's fast twist barrels in it. (Screen name 'fc60' in the post above yours.) None of the factory ammo did very well at 50 yards for me, although the Fiocchi, Magtech and PMC held X ring at 25.

However, attached is a typical group from the match handload, which took a few months of testing to figure out but costs less than $4 per 50 to reload. Sub 2 inch groups are common.

There are significant advantages to shooting the .32 instead of a .45 at the short line. On the downside, crosswinds can be a problem at 50 yards.

If you plan to shoot more than 25m, I highly recommend one of Mr. Wilson's barrels. (Not a spokesman, just a very satisfied customer.)
Attachments
HP_HN13.jpg
HP_HN13.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

CAUTION---be careful not to let the slide stop button rest on the sandbags---you will have an ugly surprise waiting you. It will necessitate a trip to Larry's for repair. How do I know this you ask? Do the math. "Doc"
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

That is a pretty amazing target for a .32 at 50. Dave you are the man. I came to use the same 1.3 gr VV310 in my FAS and it shoots like gangbusters at 25. Plus I use the same .312 bullet, anything of bigger diameter just leaded up immediately. Even at slow speed of 1.3gr.
I would use the money to buy the components listed here instead of buying Federal. Federal does make excellent .45ACP ammo but .32 S&W is not their game.