Another which first gun to buy question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

slm9s

Another which first gun to buy question

Post by slm9s »

I'm starting to get into benchrest (center and rimfire) and thought that a precision air rifle would be a great way to improve my skills.

Would I be better off with a 20 yr old annie/fwb etc or a newer technology gun like the new crosman challenger 2009 etc?

Any other "must-see" rifle you guys would recommend between $400 and $1000?

Sorry for a possible dumb question, but for the compressed air guns, can I just hook them up to my air compressor in the garage?

I've got a Nesika J 6ppc and a Win 52b 22lr so I'm used to nice stuff, does the crosman feel like a plastic toy?

Any other "must-see" rifle you guys would recommend between $400 and $1000?

Anyone run across a good option for sale they'd like to pass along, or have rifle that would work for me?
Rover

Post by Rover »

No, you can't hook them up to your air compressor.

I would look for a used Walther LGR. It's a single stroke pneumatic and requires no additional "goodies" (along with low maintenence). The first year it came out it started breaking records.

There are a bunch floating around because most shooters went to compressed air, which means a low price. Bench rest doesn't require the high tech stock, so for your purposes it should work just fine, if not better!
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

You could also look for a FWB 601, 602 or 603, plus the Anschutz 2000/1 Super Air. These are all single stroke pneumatics and are slightly easier to cock than the Walther LGR.
JSB
slm9s

Post by slm9s »

How much more accurate will these rifles (LGR etc) be than say an Air Arms s200t?

It just seems that PCP guns are all the rage, but maybe not in benchrest???

where should I look for one of these rifles (LGR etc), I'm not having much luck finding anything like these for sale.

thanks for all the help.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Why not a PCP for bench rest, they are so much easier to use, no effort required to cock and load.
JSB
slm9s

Post by slm9s »

What kind of PCP 10m or precision FT rifle can be had for under $800? Used is fine if I can find a reputable seller.

Thanks in advance,
Steve in Tacoma
TAJ45

BR ??

Post by TAJ45 »

You may consider the precharged configuration in that you won't have to "break it out of position" or disturb it as much in the bags as you would another type that requires cocking. Just a thought from a non br airgun shooter.
Randy152

Check this out

Post by Randy152 »

The benchrest forum would be a good place to look for an answer to your question. Here is a link to the same question posted there.
http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread. ... c0&t=58651

good luck,
Randy
yana

Post by yana »

The AA/CZ200 is a VERY accurate rifle, even upto 50m. Also tuneable to 12Ftp even higher powerlevels and 10shot.
Only downside, its a really light, short rifle. I wouldnt recommend it to adults for serious match shooting because of that.

A sechand FWB/Anschutz is great. The newer one's arent inherently more accurate than the old one's, only more adjustable, even less recoil and more frills. If yr not sure wether yr gonna continue shooting airrifle, I'd suggest you DONT buy a pcp. Than buy an older matchgun instead. Far cheaper.
Personally, I dont like the cocking action of SSP rifles, like the FWB600 etc. Its very inconvenient in the prone and kneeling stance. Allthough its fine standing. But even thán I prefer the lighter, easier cocking of springer sidelevers like FWB300 Diana 75 etc. Allthough they dó move(recoil) a tad more than the SSP's.

Forget crosman and the like brands.

Dunno what you want to use it for, 10m or larger distances? The SSP's arent tuneable upto FTpower (12Ftp), the springers and most pcp's are.
For benchrest a pcp would be easiest (can leave it at yr rest during cocking). Unless you shoot outdoors a lot in VERY varying temperature, CO2 is a great option as well. Quite cheap cause everybody feels they 'need' pcp's..Good thing for us! For instance FWB C60.
For pcp's and co2's, be aware of cilinder lifespan.