Interesting ammo study I did

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Quest1

SK AMMO

Post by Quest1 »

I have been talking to some of the shooters that have been using SK ammo for years and they are experiencing inconsistency in SK ammo since they where bought out by Fiocchi and know are using their components in SK ammo. The pre Fiocchi ammo did seem to be more consistent despite coming from different lots and now users are having to do more testing with different SK lots
coolcruiser

Re: SK AMMO

Post by coolcruiser »

This is interesting news to me...SK is now owned by Fiocchi? Is is still produced in Europe or here in the US. IIRC Fiocchi is manufacturing their rimfire in the US.
Quest1 wrote:I have been talking to some of the shooters that have been using SK ammo for years and they are experiencing inconsistency in SK ammo since they where bought out by Fiocchi and know are using their components in SK ammo. The pre Fiocchi ammo did seem to be more consistent despite coming from different lots and now users are having to do more testing with different SK lots
Barney

Post by Barney »

SK is made in Germany and is owned by LAPUA. (it's written on the side of the boxes)

Lapua moved its factory from Finland to the SK factory in Germany a few years ago.

This is when, I beleive, the quality of SK dropped as I saw a huge change for the worst not long after the move happened.

Pre the move, I had several batches of SK std plus that shot as good if not better than Eley Match.

Lapua have also changed there lead to the same as SK now.

They used to use the same "soft" light coloured lead as Eley, but now its the "hard" dark coloured lead.

Again, this was not long after the move and about the same time the new Xact, Midas + and Centre X came out.

As for Fiocchi now owning and producing the SK ??? it must have been very recent, if it really has happened.

Just my thoughts on the issue.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

I remember buying some Lapua Centre-X when they re-badged the line and was very disappointed when I saw the bullet. It looked like cheap SK stuff. However, since then, everyone I know shooting competitively who's switched to it has significantly beaten their old personal bests, myself included, and most are setting new ones every match. The new Lapua line is seriously good if that Centre-X is anything to go by.
mobarron

weighing ammunition

Post by mobarron »

This past summer I shot some Wolf Target practicing for local matches. I had weighed it and it divided in 3 groups - 50.5 - 50.7 grs. (about 40%), 50.0-50.4 (35%) and 50.8 - 51.2) 25% or so. I was surprised how well the groups shot at 100 yds (15x or so) and could see no real difference in group sizes. I did the same thing with some Lapua Multi-match that is 5 to 7 years old. Every round weighed exactly the same. But it doesn't shoot worth beans in my rifle. My conclusion was that if the ammo shoots in your rifle, weighing it may help but weighing will not turn a frog into a princess.

I talked with Kevin Thomas, a US Lapua rep, in early October and as of then Lapua (pronounced LAP-wa, not la-PU-a) owned SK. Mike Barron