webpages about shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EJ

webpages about shooting

Post by EJ »

Hi, I need help.
I am currently looking for pages that deals with shooting on a science based level but can´t find anything. Does anybody know such a page exist?

Thanks
/EJ
Quest1

Re: webpages about shooting

Post by Quest1 »

EJ wrote:Hi, I need help.
I am currently looking for pages that deals with shooting on a science based level but can´t find anything. Does anybody know such a page exist?

Thanks
/EJ
Try this Canadian site and Pilkington has a spot on his webpage under the training tab.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Thanks
/EJ
Science of shooting is a very wide area. You need to be more specific with regards which aspects you're interested in. For example, ballistics, ammunition construction or function, biomechanics, sport psychology, coaching science etc.

hth,

Rob.
EJ

Post by EJ »

Maybe I was a bit unclear earlier. What I am looking for is everything and anything that is based in hard data (a qualitative approach is also ok), so basically all your topics.
For example: the inside of your soles determs to some extent how well your balance will be, which coaching tecnique works best on a specific category of persons/problems, trigger tecnique and results, diets impact on mental readiness and so on. If it has been studied and published I would like to see it!
Something I have been wondering over is where the papers that new international trainers have to write end up?

I assume I have to do a search of my own in google scholar or scientific databases but before that I wanted to see if there is a compilation already made out there.

I will look into Targetshooting canada more carefully soon.

/EJ
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

EJ wrote:<snip>
Something I have been wondering over is where the papers that new international trainers have to write end up?

I assume I have to do a search of my own in google scholar or scientific databases but before that I wanted to see if there is a compilation already made out there.

I will look into Targetshooting canada more carefully soon.

/EJ
To be honest I think you hit the nail on the head. There is a lot of stuff out there - even some scientific journal articles - well probably loads, but they are not pooled together anywhere that I know of.

All coaching information that is shooter specific is by definition private - else you can harm the coach - shooter relationship. Some of it is made available, just de-personalised but again you'll have to do the leg-work to find it.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Thanks
/EJ
I have to ask; to what purpose...?
- If you are seeking this type/source of information as a coach, that would be one thing
- if as a shooter determined to 'roll your own' coaching, many (most?) coaches would be reluctant to provide this information or sources. One of the hardest tasks a coach can face is unscrambling the technique and mental 'attitudes' of a shooter who has read the more scientific coaching articles - these shooters invariably only read/apply the bits that suit them (and then often inappropriately and/or incorrectly).
EJ

Post by EJ »

Spencer wrote:

Thanks
/EJ
I have to ask; to what purpose...?
- If you are seeking this type/source of information as a coach, that would be one thing
- if as a shooter determined to 'roll your own' coaching, many (most?) coaches would be reluctant to provide this information or sources. One of the hardest tasks a coach can face is unscrambling the technique and mental 'attitudes' of a shooter who has read the more scientific coaching articles - these shooters invariably only read/apply the bits that suit them (and then often inappropriately and/or incorrectly).
What I have found after being in this sport for quite some time is that it´s very undeveloped. Most of the popular sports have more research to back up why they do a specific way. In shooting there is a few books made which are good, but they are still based on knowledge from experienced coaches, not studies. I would like to see what is more or less a fact and what is based on try, fail and try again (that is anecdotes). I am not saying try/fail is a bad way to go, and to some extent you have to, but I would like to have a more solid theoretical background both as a coach and shooter before I tried it.
Two questions I can easily think of is, what exactly does a shooting jacket do to your scores/posture/hold? (how many points in average, slower hold, trigger tecnique, balance and so on) and is it better to drop from above or go directly to center of target?
Me, both as a shooter and a coach, would definitely want to know these things and lots more. In my opinion I want my shooters to know as much as possible. I don´t think my job is to tell them how it´s done, more to guide them to become better.
I also assume there are others like me out there.

If I don´t find anything collected in one or more different pages I am thinking of doing that myself. But first I am checking what exists.

RobStubbs wrote: To be honest I think you hit the nail on the head. There is a lot of stuff out there - even some scientific journal articles - well probably loads, but they are not pooled together anywhere that I know of.

All coaching information that is shooter specific is by definition private - else you can harm the coach - shooter relationship. Some of it is made available, just de-personalised but again you'll have to do the leg-work to find it.

Rob.
I agree with you, probably have to look deeper. It feels like something is missing in the information accesible to competetive shooters when there is no base in science (no references after chapters in books etc)

There are loads of articles on how good different treatments works with interviews in different fields of science. You have to make it impossible to track who is in the paper and who are saying what. What I mean is that you can do research on that relationship, it just takes some working around the confidentiality problem.

/EJ
Reverend

Post by Reverend »

AIS, Australian Institute of sport did some research into dehydration in shooters a couple of years ago.

Sorry I don't remember more, currently drunk. hic.
EJ

Post by EJ »

Reverend wrote:AIS, Australian Institute of sport did some research into dehydration in shooters a couple of years ago.

Sorry I don't remember more, currently drunk. hic.
I found that study and a few more that looks interesting. A problem is that the papers only seem to have fysical form and it costs money to order them. Maybe it´s possible to find them somewhere else.

Thanks anyway!
/EJ