Lapua ammo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Environs

Lapua ammo

Post by Environs »

Hi Folks
In my short shooting career have mainly used Eley Match, based on cost & availablity. Also seemed helpful having speeds & batch No's on packets. As I consider my ammo options for next season I am seeking advice from Lapua users.
Q.1. Have you noticed changes in consistancy & group size between lots of ammo that you have bought?

As an Eley user I test ammo looking at different speeds and batch numbers till I find something that suits my rifle.
Q.2. How do you as Lupua user go about testing ammo, then obtaining a bulk lot of ammo that suits your rifle? Do you get your ammo agent to keep track of which case a packet came out of so you can come back to it later.

Your advice appriciated.
Environs
New Zealand
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

1. I have found impact point differences between lots up to 1.5in. That is, with no sight corrections, just changing from one lot to another, the centers of the two groups were 1.5in off at 50 yards. As for group size, I have seen everything from no shots touching to one shot holes with all other variables besides ammo being constant.

2. There shouldn't be much difference between testing Eley and testing Lapua. You're still looking for the same thing, which shoots better. In my experience, Eley lots have fliers and Lapua lots have low shots with the consistency of those shots being the same with both brands. Also, both have the lot number printed on the box. When I buy 100 shots of a dozen different lots to test, I have the store I buy them from hold on to the amount I'm looking to buy (usually 10000-15000 rounds). The understandably will only hold it for 7-10 days. After I test, I order what I like, and get a bunch of it so I don't have to bother for a long time.

If you're asking about comparing Lapua to Eley, I have had great success with Lapua for a long time. I've been shooting Lapua Master for 7-8 years, and I shot Lapua Multi-Match before that, which was Master's predecessor. Master was considered inferior to Lapua Midas, but Master always shot better in my gun. I have broken a number of NRA National Records with Lapua and regularly place well at Perry for prone and 3P (as high as 11th in prone). So Lapua gets my stamp of approval.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Likewise I have been shooting Lapua with fantastic results. I was using Eley match eps but am now using Lapua center X. Also I haven't had one miss fire with Lapua but used to have quite a few with Eley.