Prone shooters glove sling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Roadthing

Prone shooters glove sling

Post by Roadthing »

Been shooting SB prone for about 2 years and have been thinking about a new glove and sling. Right now I have been using a
Jensen across course sling and a Champion Choice finger less glove that is about wore out and has little padding left. So for prone only, what glove and sling do you guys like? There is no smallbore matches here in NE Ohio so I have no chance of trying any of these on

So far I have been looking at the Thune solid and one of the Anschutz gloves. And for slings have been looking at the Anschutz Swing and the
Sauer Exakt II

what do you guys like?
coolcruiser

glove choice

Post by coolcruiser »

Currently I use a KT fingerless solid glove. It is a well made glove but the padding is very light. After a full course of prone my support hand is pinched, sore and a little numb. I am looking for another glove myself that has the rigid covering like the solid and the good leather of the solid but has denser foam padding. Anybody know of such a glove? I have tried the Anschutz 101 and airlight and they are not as good as the solid.
Anyone want a lightly used medium Kurt Thune Solid glove for RH shooter? It cost me $80...I'll sell it for $55 shipped
BartP

Thune Solid

Post by BartP »

I have used the Thune Solid, both full fingered and fingerless, for a LONG time and have found it to be the finest, well-made, durable, protective glove I have ever used. The NRA matches (1600s) are easy anyway because you only shoot 20 record shots at a time. My real glove test began when shooting the Mens Prone 60 shot matches to qualify for the World Cup Teams (as well as the USA SHooting National Championships - Ft Benning). I train with the USAMU. I had the very same problem. They steered me in the right direction.

In these matches, you can shoot as many sighters as you want but once you go for record, you must shoot the 60 record shots straight thru. This can be done quickly if there are minor conditions to consider, but if there is a tricky wind or switchy mirage, you are forced to maintain yourself for more than an hour.

The Thune Solid has a thick solid panel of flexible yet protective material down the back of the hand that goes PAST the wrist bone (that we all know hurts like hell from the sling at times). The same material wraps around to the palm and protects even more. When you use this glove in combination with the smallest handstop that Anschutz makes (it looks like a a little disc), there is no need to worry about any pinching. The pressure of the sling trapping the hand up into the stock keeps the space between your thumb and forefinger clear of pain and anguish. The glove does the rest.

I have been able to shoot consistently for long practice days and these types of matches using this combination with little or no issue. I shoot in the high 590s and routinely must wait out the wind for long durations. If I were you, I'd try this combination. Everyone I have ever shown this system to has stayed with it since.

Good luck. Pain sucks. Bart
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

Bart If you see Ernie Vande Zande at Ft. Benning tell him Doug say Hi. And thanks for all the Info thus far, and what sling do you guys like.

Doug
BartP

Sling

Post by BartP »

Hi Doug,

I am currently using an Anschutz sling but I am ordering the new MEC sling from Joacim @ Try & Bom. Thune slings are big on the line at USA matches, but that MEC sling looks like it may have the typical advantages ALL MEC products seem to offer. Ease of use and function being at the top of the heap. I'll let you know how it goes - as soon as I get over the frickin' price! $250 is ridiculously expensive - but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. All that "no stone unturned" crap! It helps to have sponsors.

Bart
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

Bart you paid what!!!!! was that just for the sling? MEC is good but that is gold
BartP

Sling Price Shudder!

Post by BartP »

Yeah Jack. I'm paying for it. It has some potential advantages that i need to explore. I'll hook myself up tothe Noptel and give it it's due diligence. So all of you guys let me be the guinee-pig and don't bust my balls too bad. Watch for the post. It should be in late October. :) Bart
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Bart,a friend shooter purchased this sling.Till now,he can't get rid of the beat that the sling specs says.
I'll let you know about his progress and I will wait for yours.
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

BartP I did not mean to offend I did not know it was possible to pay that much for a sling that why I asked I thought that was the price for a sling and a hand stop. Sorry if you took offence.
BartP

Offend? Naw! :)

Post by BartP »

Hey Jack,

I was writing in a jovial, "omg/valley girl" sort of way with regard to the sling purchase. I, in no way, took offense. (laughing) The funny thing is that I brayed like a donkey the same way you did when I first heard how much the sling was. I just said, "Seriously?!!" - then it sat with me for a while, burning inside. My prone position is pretty wicked. The movement I experience is a small triangle - a 5 mm triangle. More like a slight 10, 2, & 7 o'clock vibration. I used the noptel a few more times experimenting with sling position to take out the last of the movement with no luck so the new sling kept taunting me. It's NOT like I really need to use this high-priced puppy (my position is tight and highly refined) but if I don't try it, I'll never know if it works. So I gotta do whatuh man's gotta do...and suck it up. When I make the World Cup Team, and I am shooting in Europe, I'll make sure to give Maik a friendly slap if it doesn't work. :) B
BartP

Post by BartP »

Sounds like a plan tsokasn! Thanks. Bart